3/5 drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greyghost85

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey guys i have an 85 shorted chevy. I just got a 2/4 drop kit from a friend of mine, ( drop spindles and hanger kit) and i want to make it drop 3 in the front and 5 in the rear. to do this i need to cut 1 round off of the coil springs right? and then for the rear i was thinking about taking one of the small leaf springs out and adding a drop shackle to get 5 total inches in the back. would this all work correctly and give me the look I want or is there something i left out?

thanks guys

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
You will get a 4.5/5-ish drop with what you stated. Cutting one round off the coils will give you 2in-2.25in spring drop added to the 2.5in drop spindle would be 4.5in-4.75in.
You need a 1in drop spring and 2.5in drop spindle to get the 3.5in drop.

On the rear of your 85 you probably have a 3+1 stack of leafs so removing the thick overload is fine and will give you 3/4in drop but removing one of the thin leafs will leave you with only two leafs which will cause some axle wrap under acceleration.
You would be better off with a flip kit to achieve the 5in drop.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I second what Jknight stated above. I would only suggest removing the overload spring from the rear leaf pack. X2 on the axle flip kit. I have a axle flip kit AND rear drop hangers...approximately 7 inches in the back with that setup.

Last edited:

greyghost85

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey sorry guys i haven't been on in a couple of days. and okay knight i got what your saying about the front. i can cut half a round on the springs can't i? aprox. what drop would that give me? and yeah guys i agree i was only going to remove the overload spring. and @smoothandlow84, do you have a c-notch on your truck? if not do you have any problems bottoming out on frame or axle hitting frame? and what shocks are you running on your truck?

greyghost85

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
oh and i checked my truck and it has 4 thin leafs and then the thick overload at the bottom.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
hey sorry guys i haven't been on in a couple of days. and okay knight i got what your saying about the front. i can cut half a round on the springs can't i? aprox. what drop would that give me? and yeah guys i agree i was only going to remove the overload spring. and @smoothandlow84, do you have a c-notch on your truck? if not do you have any problems bottoming out on frame or axle hitting frame? and what shocks are you running on your truck?
Cutting 1/2 round will net a 3/4in-1in drop, BUT it is a royal pain to get the bottom to seat in place because the top of the spring is D shaped and has to be clocked to the D shape in the spring pocket which will make the bottom off by 1/2 a round. I would suggest a 1in drop spring or cut one round off a 1 ton spring for a 1in drop.

oh and i checked my truck and it has 4 thin leafs and then the thick overload at the bottom.
You can remove the overload and one of the 4 thin leafs but that's as far as I would go. You need at least 3 thin leafs.

greyghost85

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Cutting 1/2 round will net a 3/4in-1in drop, BUT it is a royal pain to get the bottom to seat in place because the top of the spring is D shaped and has to be clocked to the D shape in the spring pocket which will make the bottom off by 1/2 a round. I would suggest a 1in drop spring or cut one round off a 1 ton spring for a 1in drop.

You can remove the overload and one of the 4 thin leafs but that's as far as I would go. You need at least 3 thin leafs.

okay yeah thats what i was worried about cutting half was getting it back in the pocket. and thats good to know i can remove the 4th spring in the back too. also, I've never cut coil springs and if i decide to go with a full round, where or how do i measure what a full round is? is there a spot on the bottom of the coil that is flat or is it curled all the way down?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
okay yeah thats what i was worried about cutting half was getting it back in the pocket. and thats good to know i can remove the 4th spring in the back too. also, I've never cut coil springs and if i decide to go with a full round, where or how do i measure what a full round is? is there a spot on the bottom of the coil that is flat or is it curled all the way down?
Cut right where my finger nail is with a cutting disc, saws all, or band saw. Do not cut with a torch.

Attachments

• 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 182

greyghost85

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Cut right where my finger nail is with a cutting disc, saws all, or band saw. Do not cut with a torch.

alright thanks for the help!! ill send some pictures when it all gets done!!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Greyghost85, I have a mini notch in the back for added clearance. Some people don't think its necessary, But I do. The mini notch even with the polyurethane bumpstop installed still gives me about 4-5" of added clearance for g-out bumps. It rides very smooth as it sits. Just don't expect to drive off road and blaze though speed bumps . I have gas charged shocks on all four corners. I had stock shocks, but they suck. The larger bore and larger bodied drop shock are well worth the $$. As a budget option, you can use the gas charged oem shocks as well. The stock shocks won't give as much resistance to bottoming out if you accidentally drive over a large rolling dip in the road.

greyghost85

Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Greyghost85, I have a mini notch in the back for added clearance. Some people don't think its necessary, But I do. The mini notch even with the polyurethane bumpstop installed still gives me about 4-5" of added clearance for g-out bumps. It rides very smooth as it sits. Just don't expect to drive off road and blaze though speed bumps . I have gas charged shocks on all four corners. I had stock shocks, but they suck. The larger bore and larger bodied drop shock are well worth the $$. As a budget option, you can use the gas charged oem shocks as well. The stock shocks won't give as much resistance to bottoming out if you accidentally drive over a large rolling dip in the road.

alright thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD