2WD to 4x4 conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why would the engine mounts be different? Also it is a single cab long bed but it has a flatbed idk if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2wd engine mount brackets are taller to match the big 2wd crossmember with the dip in it. You can fit a factory 4x4 crossmember and mounts, but they are kinda flimsy and they are usually cracked. A heavy duty crossmember from ORD is a good place to spend money rather than using factory stuff.

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
The 2wd engine mount brackets are taller to match the big 2wd crossmember with the dip in it. You can fit a factory 4x4 crossmember and mounts, but they are kinda flimsy and they are usually cracked. A heavy duty crossmember from ORD is a good place to spend money rather than using factory stuff.
I have a 454, will that change anything?

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I think @bucket is right.You need a good frame and a good cab.Or another truck to and just use it completely.But having the cab will make your project simpler and definitely cheaper.Anything that is custom and involves welding will be expensive.And hopefully it’s someone who understands suspension and steering geometry

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Well my buddy has a k10 I could reference [emoji2369] but his is a 79 and mine is an 84. We both have 8ft beds and single cabs. I have no doubt it will be difficult and take a decent amount of time. Thank you for the info though, I will try and keep people updated when I start the swap though

there will be minor differences between the 79 and 84 as @AKguy said, heads up. references are definitely gonna be helpful

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
I think @bucket is right.You need a good frame and a good cab.Or another truck to and just use it completely.But having the cab will make your project simpler and definitely cheaper.Anything that is custom and involves welding will be expensive.And hopefully it’s someone who understands suspension and steering geometry
What if I know a guy who is my best friends grandpa who can do all the welding and such for me?

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
There’s another forum that might be able to help you,but I won’t mention the name here.Do a google search

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
There’s another forum that might be able to help you,but I won’t mention the name here.Do a google search
DM me I guess

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
I have a cab, but I’m also trying to be as cheap as possible so I was kinda thinking my donor truck wouldn’t have a very good frame, but good axles and other 4x4 parts

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have a cab, but I’m also trying to be as cheap as possible so I was kinda thinking my donor truck wouldn’t have a very good frame, but good axles and other 4x4 parts

It's only cheap if you can do all the work yourself. It can and has been done, but it's a lot of labor and it is not as simple as just bolting brackets on from a parts truck.

Some people go in thinking it's a simple swap, then it's a rude awakening and they give up on it. But if you know more of what you're getting into before you start, it may turn out better.

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 GMC High Sierra 2500
Engine Size
454 7.4L
It's only cheap if you can do all the work yourself. It can and has been done, but it's a lot of labor and it is not as simple as just bolting brackets on from a parts truck.

Some people go in thinking it's a simple swap, then it's a rude awakening and they give up on it. But if you know more of what you're getting into before you start, it may turn out better.
That makes me feel better about it. I think it will be longer than I think it will, but I think the man I know can do it without me needing to do a frame swap. But I’ll talk to him about him to see what he thinks he can do.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Who is the other guy here that insisted you could bolt the suspension of a 4x onto a 2x frame? He wanted to argue with me and posted pictures
of a 2x frame with zero clearance for the rear shackle to move.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Only difference is the front of the frame.2wd is coils,4WD is leaf springs.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
:banghead:

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
To make a c20 to a k20 do you have to do a frame swap? Or just suspension, transmission and drivetrain?

Ok what is the end game here? How do you intend to use the truck? How SERIOUS a 4x4 do you want? What size tires are you thinking and WHAT do'
you want to use the truck for?

I'm asking this because if you want a stock like truck 4x4 vs a big tire formidable off road truck there is a difference. If you want a big lifted flexy truck that you can really work off road then there is a solution. That solution is to hang a 52" rear leaf pack resulting in about 4" of life and much more wheel travel. There are two kits available for this and a 2wheel drive frame will work absolutely the same as a 4x4 frame. ORD and honestly better yet, DIY4x4 has a better setup.
These kits supply a new forward mount for the springs, and as much as it is a 'kit' there are often enough variables that more often than not require some
poking and prodding so better have at least a torch or plasma cutter on hand.

Please use the 'quote' button if you have more questions here, that way I'll know you're looking for me.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I have a '91 Suburban that I'm going to frame swap. After looking at all that was entailed to just change suspension, I decided to go this route and should come out money ahead.
$500 got me the frame, trans, t-case, 3.73 gears front and rear, rally wheels with trim rings and centers, good seats and a boatload of spare parts from the extensively hail damaged donor.
I have a big gantry crane that I plan to use to lift the bodies. Front clips will be pulled first, intact.
The good thing is I'll have a frame that I can install the lift, steering box brace and a handful of other things without rolling around on the damned cold ground under a truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB