292 Stalling out when stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973straightsix

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
But also adjust timing and carb for maximum vacuum/performance while you're in there tinkering
Had a little bit of time today so I decided to check what voltage I was getting at the HEI, it was at 6 volts. So I tried to trace back the wires which led me to the plug that connects the fuse box to the engine bay which is so old I didn't want to risk breaking something taking it apart. So what I did was install a normally open relay which powers the HEI straight from the battery terminals. Checked the voltage again after doing this and it's now at 13.6v. Still dies out when slowing down though so I am going to have to do some more digging. Just wanted to give you guys an update. Thanks for all the help thus far!

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You said you replaced the carburetor too, correct? Has this stalling issue started with the carb replacement? If so the float level in the carb could be set to low. When you brake the low fuel level will move away from the fuel bowl pick up. This can cause the engine to stall.

1973straightsix

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You said you replaced the carburetor too, correct? Has this stalling issue started with the carb replacement? If so the float level in the carb could be set to low. When you brake the low fuel level will move away from the fuel bowl pick up. This can cause the engine to stall.
Unfortunately I installed the carb and HEI at the exact same time so I'm not sure which is causing issues. All of my troubleshooting thus far has been HEI related so I think I may switch to looking at the carb now. Thanks for the info I'll have to check it out and let you know what I find.

1973straightsix

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
this is a good thread except there's no pictures ... so it kinda sucks, just sayin.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here you go. Not much to see really besides my crappy relay wiring for the HEI (this is just roughed in for right now until I get it running good, then I'll secure the wiring).

1973straightsix

Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You're welcome. I have been trying to find the thread, but I cannot find it. Although, after doing some searches, I think it was more of the vacuum advance curve of the new HEI didn't jive with the I-6 engine. The springs were too stiff or too weak, the canister was wrong, etc. It's been a while since I saw it, but someone had similar issues you are having after installing HEI. In that thread there was talk about the timing as well, I think they suggested going with 10 or 12 degrees BTDC and not 4 degrees BTDC. If I find it I'll post the link here. I know I'll most likely be in this same boat when I swap in the HEI to my 292. I may just run the points distributor for a while, and send in my HEI to be curved before I install it.
Finally got it running good. So today I was looking for vacuum leaks, didn't find any but swapped out the brake vacuum check valve, after doing that I bought vacuum caps and put em all over the carb. After doing that I decided to take the carb apart and mess with the float level. When I was taking the steel gas line out of the carb I noticed the carb wasn't tight at all so I tightened it back up and put everything back together. Once I started it I messed with the idle speed and idle mix screw best I could get was 15" of vacuum. Decided to take it for a drive after that and low and behold she is running pretty good again. The rpms definitely drop a decent amount when slowing down now but it doesn't just die out like it did before and its more than driveable now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions on what to look for, it may not seem like it but it really helped a lot for me and I learned something at the end of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narr