292 No Power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OpticalIlyushin

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
As the title suggests, I've recently picked up a 1980 C20 with the 292 straight six. It is really feeble, I doubt it is over 90hp. The issues are it has very little power and backfires through the carburetor if I open the throttle too much(unless I have the initial timing way advanced), and I've been driving myself nuts trying to figure it out. If I have the timing way too advanced at idle (backfires when you try to start it, idles rough) it will have a bit more power but still not enough. For whatever reason it came with a points distributor and I was thinking maybe something was haywire in it, so I got a new HEI unit(coil and everything) since that's what it's supposed to have anyways. Compression varies from 148-162 PSI, the spark plugs are new and gapped at .035". Timing is at 8° BTDC (yes I know factory is 6° but it idles nicer at 8°), and the harmonic balancer matches what the piston is doing. It pulls 19" of vacuum at an idle and so far as I can tell has no vacuum leaks. The engine has been switched over to a 2bbl Weber 32/36, I've cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner and rebuilt it (power valve/accelerator pump/gaskets) and gone through the tuning process.

At this point I'm not sure where to proceed, any ideas would be appreciated.

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
90!!! That's about 25 faster than my 82 w/ a Straight 6 will go.
Several weeks about when I brought her home, I think it was like a 140 miles, mostly main HWYs drive...
I think mine was toping out at 65 maybe 75 MAX. I'd have to push it off a tall cliff to hit 90...

I'd obviously like it to be a bit peppier, but I am not super concerned, as it is going to just be a cruiser and show truck (If I ever get anything done to it). I don't race or do burn outs. Might drag the frame or drag blocks now and then when I get it bagged.

I'll probably drive the S6 till she dies then decide, do I want to do a SBC or just build a fresh and much better looking Straight 6.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
backfires into intake or exhaust? Does it have an EGR valve?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88