290hp 350 Cam Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IIRC, the standard OEM spring will work fine with that cam. So is he just trying to sell you spring you don't need?

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
So I'm not gonna lie...I had to google 'IIRC'. Ha!

He also wanted to sell a bunch of seals and such but I told him no caus the engines only 3...he said I wouldn't need them then...but he was sellin so maybe I got upsold on springs...he said I'd new new for this cam however as they are a bit longer???

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That cam will work great in the 350/290 engine. And the lift on that cam is actually just a touch less than the lift you are running right now. Should be no problem at all.

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
Well cam replacement project is moving full steam ahead. Originally I thought the new tranny governor was not set up correctly as it seemed to be limiting at 3500 rpm. However, digging in a bit more I found that my carb is only opening about 75% when the pedal is to the floor....and it's a fairly hard push...frayed cable and a bent pedal rod. Ok fixed those and now I get 100% open...bit more power and easier pedal.

Took out Accel distributor....cracked cap....time for new. Radiator, tranny cooler and fan are all off.

I'll eventually get to that cam I swear!!!

fallguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
No I meant fan blade.

You must be registered for see images attach

Old on right. You can see there is about one less coil on the new and the spring seems to be slightly thicker, but they are the same height.

New springs being placed.

Old on top. You can see the XE256H has slightly more duration. The lobes are a bit taller.

Found that the throttle cable was frayed and binding up so the carb was only opening to about 75% with the pedal to the metal. So there's one big issue with lack of full power. Wonder if when the secondaries would kick in and the butterflies wouldn't fully open that it would bog out due to not having enough air to mix? Also the pedal was fairly damn hard to push so I'm sure that didn't help! Funny what you find when you have an extra set of eyes helping!!!

Sure hope this all makes a difference...

I just picked up a set of Hooker Comp headers on eBay for $100 so they may help too....when I get around to painting them (they're bare metal) and installing. 1000 degree engine paint will be what I choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano