2018 ls bad rust on cylinder wall.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So one of my workers 2018 chev decided to wonderfully have the afm lifter fail. So we tore it apart tonight only to find some pretty substantial rust on the backside of cylinder 7 the failed lifter cylinder. It was smoking white when we pulled it into the shop. I also got some pretty good lines in the rollers on the lifters so I'm thinking it needs a cam aswell. But the cylinder wall scares me is worth fixing
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 20230802_193625.jpg
    20230802_193625.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 37

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
So one of my workers 2018 chev decided to wonderfully have the afm lifter fail. So we tore it apart tonight only to find some pretty substantial rust on the backside of cylinder 7 the failed lifter cylinder. It was smoking white when we pulled it into the shop. I also got some pretty good lines in the rollers on the lifters so I'm thinking it needs a cam aswell. But the cylinder wall scares me is worth fixing
That's really strange. Did it sit for a while before tearing it down? Will that wipe off at all?

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
White smoke means You are burning water

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
White smoke means You are burning water and that looks like water has been in there also. Cly will bee fine when You clean it up IF no damage has been done to rings or bearings, But You will need to fine how water got in there.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
So I talked to the shop it was at that diagnostic the bad lifter and they did a compression test and leak down test on that cylinder and it tested good so I think the rings are good.

That's really strange. Did it sit for a while before tearing it down? Will that wipe off at all?
It sat for about a week before we tore it down. It was alot worse on there. I should of took a picture then. Thats what it looked like after we wiped out all the antifreeze out of the cylinders.

We might just change that one lifter and say bye bye to the truck. It had a hard life. Trani oil was pretty brown and got flushed. The front diff makes a horrible howling sound so I pulled the front cvs till we could pull it apart there and see whats going on in there. Crappie thing is I pulled both heads and if I'm only doing the one lifter I could left the one side on. Oh well.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
So I talked to the shop it was at that diagnostic the bad lifter and they did a compression test and leak down test on that cylinder and it tested good so I think the rings are good.

It sat for about a week before we tore it down. It was alot worse on there. I should of took a picture then. Thats what it looked like after we wiped out all the antifreeze out of the cylinders.

We might just change that one lifter and say bye bye to the truck. It had a hard life. Trani oil was pretty brown and got flushed. The front diff makes a horrible howling sound so I pulled the front cvs till we could pull it apart there and see whats going on in there. Crappie thing is I pulled both heads and if I'm only doing the one lifter I could left the one side on. Oh well.
After We wiped the Antiifeeze out of the cylinders,,,, Well We know there was water in there now lol.....Make sure You change oil and filter before You fire it up.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I got some 3000 grit sand paper from my auto body guys and knocked down the rust and the walls look good. So now we're on the wall of afm delete the bugger. Get it done and over with. May aswell throw a stage 2 cam in it. We will see. Got the heads some what cleaned up.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I got some 3000 grit sand paper from my auto body guys and knocked down the rust and the walls look good. So now we're on the wall of afm delete the bugger. Get it done and over with. May aswell throw a stage 2 cam in it. We will see. Got the heads some what cleaned up.

I know I would delete it if it were mine.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Well progressing on the project here. So to delete it the proper way we should pull it and do all the steps and spend another 2k. There is a stupid demand for trucks here so we're going to replace the lifters and sent it on it way and he's going to find a cat eye chev or something and get out of a stupid payment. I got the heads cleaned fully and the block. Man I hate working with aluminum. You have to be so careful. Turn out good I think.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Heads are torqued down. Good thing father inlaw is a mechanic cause I had to borrow a few tools. One was a degree torque wrench and also a direct injection o ring installer. Should have it all rapped up tomorrow

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Well we got it all rapped up tonight. Runs like a top. Buddy is a little scared to take it on the hwy to let the afm kick in lol. It wasn't a horrible job to do. Probably 20 hrs total. Off to the next project.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1