2005 Chevy 2500 HD horn fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
How do I fix this damn thing? Its definitely in the switch cause it does work intermittently and when its not if I hit it hard enough it will honk. Problem is I work in a quarry that has very strict rules as far as sounding the horn before moving. Any know how to release the piece that has the air bag in it? Is there any risk of it going off? Is this even possible to do on my own? Special tools needed? Thanks for the input.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
You better Print this off cause if any of the images show up they will change to the wrong images every so often, confusing but it does.
Hope this helps you anyway,

I am thinking on those year trucks there are torx screws coming from the back side of the column. Or possably even quick release tabs that you have to use a screwdriver through the back side of the wheel

HORN SWITCH REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1.Disable the SIR system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling Zone 3 in Restraint Systems. CAUTION: Refer to Servicing the SIR System Caution in Service Precautions.
2.Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
3.Remove the horn plunger from the steering column by pressing inward to the stop and rotating the horn plunger 90 degrees.

4.Disconnect the captured screws (1,4) to the horn contact plate (2) from the steering wheel (3).
5.Remove the horn switch (2) from the steering wheel (3).

Last edited by a moderator:

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the input but I elected plan B ran a total seperate, after market horn on a toggle switch. Its a loud ass air horn too.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Use a BFH. :High 5:

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
Funny thing is I have to honk my horn before I move on mine sites so I kinda have the toggle switch one as back up in case the factory one dont work. I was there all week and the factory horn worked fine. Before I put the other one in it was approximately 1 of 5 times it worked. I dont think she liked the idea of being replaced by an upgraded model. @ 89sub bfh not a good idea for the air bag model.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That **** always drove me nuts, honk once to start and 3 times to back up, every where you go. Sometimes I would catch myself doing it in town on accident just because you get in the habit.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
More often then not I do it in town too or at least reach for it. What mine did you work at I-man? I have worked quite a few places in the Reno area.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
More often then not I do it in town too or at least reach for it. What mine did you work at I-man? I have worked quite a few places in the Reno area.

I worked at Freeport McMoran's mine outside of Silver City Nm. I had no idea Reno had mines around it, i am glad Im meeting someone that has more info about it.

I have interviewed with Barrick a couple times now in Eureka and Elko with no luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT