2004 Chevy Cavalier Cooling Fan Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
2004 Chevy Cavalier Electric Cooling Fan Install/Replacement

2.2 Etec inline 4 cylinder, Auto, A/C.

Originally I used this video for study before diving into this. It is a well explained vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B8EHnAM0ECo

This is the link to the fan I bought on eBay @ $54.57:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-95-96-9...ier|Submodel:Base&hash=item4163fc0906&vxp=mtr

Ok, here is the vehicle going under the knife:

You must be registered for see images

jpg upload

free image hosting

picture hosting

Step one is to remove this cover, it is held in place with 8 plastic, resettable pop rivets. Carefully pry the center pins up with a flathead screwdriver and/or pliers, being careful not to mangle them in the process. Once the centers are popped up they pull right out:

upload pictures

adult image hosting

free image hosting

image host

upload pictures

Next, use a 10 MM socket to remove 2 bolts on each side holding the radiator mounts. Once the bolts are removed, the mounts easily swing out of the way. This allows the radiator to tilt forward, providing some much need “wiggle” room to coax the fan out of the car.

I would also suggest at this point, to remove the other 2 bolts, also 10 MM socket, from that silver center plate that the hood latch is mounted too. I had to do that at a later point to help even more with getting access under there, as you will see in the pics. This was needed to both view and “finagle” the upper shroud hook on the cooling fan.

adult upload image

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
There is only one fastener that actually holds the fan assembly to the car. It is also a 10 MM bolt, located on the lower right hand corner of the fan assembly, on the rear side of the radiator. These are known to get rusty and hard to remove, I suggest tightening first, and slowly working the bolt back and forth, I was fortunate enough that it came out easily.

upload pictures

adult upload image

gif hosting

Next, you have to unlock the upper left fan shroud from the radiator, just snap locks on. Carefully use a screwdriver to pop it out. It is very important to take great care doing this as it is part of the actual radiator tank and you do not want to break it.

Once that is popped out, there is another mounting point on the lower left of the shroud, that just lifts up and off.

image upload

This is the point I had to remove the bolts from the top hood latch place to be able to see and access the uppr right hand shroud mount, it just is a hook that hangs on the top of the core as you can see here:

image upload

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is the worst part of the job, wiggling this thing out and back in. The video stated that the starter motor was the tough part to get past, but on this vehicle, it was the heater hose and tubes that were the hindrance, as you can see. I had to use a long pry bar to gently coax this thing out, you need to kind of rotate the housing down and out and through all this, being careful not to damage anything on the way, like that heater hose, electrical wires and plugs, and the radiator core itself.

The 3rd pic here is the wire connector for the fan for your reference. I waited until I dropped the fan down to unplug it because I could not reach it any other way.

hosting images

Also, as the fan neared the bottom of the car, it became clear I had to jack the front of the car up to gain enough clearance to remove the fan from the cavity.

Here are comparison shots of the old and new fans, they are spot on.

adult upload image

Installation is reverse of removal. Make sure you put some never seize on that bottom bolt!!!!

free picture hosting

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:party33:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never pulled the fan out the bottom like that before. What I've done in the past is take that whole latch support assembly out of the car. The bottom bolts are tricky, but it's not too bad at all with a GearWrench. With it out of the way, the fan will come right out the top.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I've never pulled the fan out the bottom like that before. What I've done in the past is take that whole latch support assembly out of the car. The bottom bolts are tricky, but it's not too bad at all with a GearWrench. With it out of the way, the fan will come right out the top.

No look you!!!! I asked about this project and looked for tips before I started this, don't tell me that **** now!!!!! AAhaahahahaha. :roflbow: :roflbow:

Seriously though, I was curious about that. I was already well versed in the other method and didn't know what was involved in that front piece coming out. :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
No look you!!!! I asked about this project and looked for tips before I started this, don't tell me that **** now!!!!! AAhaahahahaha. :roflbow: :roflbow:

Seriously though, I was curious about that. I was already well versed in the other method and didn't know what was involved in that front piece coming out. :)

I actually didn't remember exactly how I always did it until I saw your pics. I do remember saying in some thread somewhere that I did it all from up top, but that's the only worthless info I gave :crazy:

I also don't think that either way is any harder than the other, I just like doing things from above if it's possible.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I actually didn't remember exactly how I always did it until I saw your pics. I do remember saying in some thread somewhere that I did it all from up top, but that's the only worthless info I gave :crazy:

I also don't think that either way is any harder than the other, I just like doing things from above if it's possible.

I found your post but I took it the wrong way, I didn't realize you actually, physically pulled it out through the top. And that would explain you mentioning more than one bolt at the bottm. While I was doing this there was only one bolt holding the fan in and I was laying under there thinking "What the hell was Bucket talking about bottom BOLTS", lol.

Here is the link and your post:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91432&postcount=71

I can get to everything from up top, but I have skinny arms. The problem is usually the two lower mounting bolts. The speed nuts rust and break off, then the bolts just spin. Your options are break the shroud loose at the bottom, or do an in-car fan motor replacement. Or I guess you could cut little access holes in the lower core support, to get at the speed nuts with vice-grips.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Actually I was talking about "bolts" in the fan shroud, but obviously I was remembering things wrong, or had been seeing double, lol. Maybe the earlier years of that body style actually had two bolts, but I kind of doubt that.

I'm just glad I don't have to do those fan motors very often :roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Actually I was talking about "bolts" in the fan shroud, but obviously I was remembering things wrong, or had been seeing double, lol. Maybe the earlier years of that body style actually had two bolts, but I kind of doubt that.

I'm just glad I don't have to do those fan motors very often :roflbow:

Yeah, maybe they different for different years or makes or models, although it's still the same platform that's shared.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Some ******* stole the antenna mast off this car. :flipthebird:

I got to find a replacement.... :Sumo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Anybody know where I can buy online? Not having much luck finding the screw on mast. they are all short or carbon fiber.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
What do you mean "mast". Do you have a pic?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What do you mean "mast". Do you have a pic?

The metal stick/wand the screws onto the base. I think it is 18-24 inches tall at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64