1st Square Rust Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi All!

Total newbie to squares and anything car related actually. Have always wanted a K10 and hoping to learn a lot with it.

I bought one off of craigslist so I don't know too much about it's history other than the carfax.

I got to drive it for a day off road before discovering I had gas leaks in both fuel tanks. Replacements and new sending units on their way here from LMC. Bummer. As well truck pulls wicked hard to the right at higher speeds when braking so I'm looking at all new brake hoses/calipers/pads

Anyway, while it is down I have been dismantling the interior to wire in a new radio and see what's what. I removed the (very wet) jute carpeting today.

Here is where my question comes in:

1) Is this an original factory floor?

2) Is the rust on passenger floorboard bad enough where I have to replace it now?

I was just going to clean a little, paint with something (recommendations?) and then do a little insulation and put back the top carpet from previous owner as hunting season is coming up and new carpet will just get pretty messy. Plus, I'm ready to drive this baby!

Sorry, I don't know why these forums always turn my photos sideways!

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 84

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That doesn't look too awful bad. If there aren't any holes, just wire wheel the rust off and paint with POR15. If you aren't planning on restoring it, you might just look at using a roll on bedliner for the floor or putting vinal floors in. Carpet holds a lot of moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thanks for reply.

i was hoping that would be the answer. as for por15, i do plan on doing a restore sometime within the next 2 years. i hear it is hard to remove once on?

any other rec's for something i can put on rust such as some sort of spray paint or coating? i definitely want to restore one day.

do you have any other recommendations for what to insulate with? i might use peel and seal for a quick cheap route this winter. should i even put jute down or just cover peel and seal with old carpet?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
When i sanded down and painted my frame, i took ospho and hit any rusted areas with it before painting, seems to work real well

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
POR15 is just a rust stopping paint. You can get it in several colors. No need to take it off for a restore. Just put your insulation and carpet over it. I'm not the best person to ask about insulation, but several guys on here have used the sound dampening stuff with good results.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
it will suck to remove that peel n seal stuff

I would take a wire wheel to it then por15 it and not worry about it again

I used monstaliner diy bed liner as a under coat and coated the inside of my cab with it on my crew cab

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
for something cheaper, try using rust reformer like rom loctite the liquid or something to convert the rust. Just look for a rust converter, then once it's done it's job(read the directions on it) topcoat with whatever you want. If not then look into zero rust, miracle paint, rust bullet, rust encapsulator, or por-15.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That doesn't look too awful bad. If there aren't any holes, just wire wheel the rust off and paint with POR15. If you aren't planning on restoring it, you might just look at using a roll on bedliner for the floor or putting vinal floors in. Carpet holds a lot of moisture.

X2. Use a rust converter like rust mort before using POR 15 as soon as the POR 15 is dry use a self etching primer over top of the POR 15 and then top coat the entire floor to protect the POR 15 from UV rays.

Dig out all the seam sealer you can as well

Make sure the entire floor is squeaky clean before starting the painting process.

jastewart25

Reaction score
First Name
Julie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
thank you all for your advice.

i will go with por15. what kind of insulation do you guys use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBSS GUY