1994 S10 1Ton SAS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
How much do you suppose a PSC pump would actually help a stock steering box?

And why do almost all the PSC pumps have remote reservoirs?

Im sure it would help significantly. Like I said, those guys are pros, with years and years of experience and have the technique down pat.
The remote reseviour is for higher fluid volume.
They do sell pumps that go into a reseviours, but the main seller is external reseviours... For the higher fluid volume...

Im not running big bastard tires, I don't feel a cooler or additional volume is necessary.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hydraulic assist completed.
Just needs a little more fluid.

Steers with 1 finger at idle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Took the truck for another romp around the area, does good, now with the ram in place, the steering isn't all jumpy like it was before, truck does good, still need shocks in the front, probably a sway bar.

I think tomorrow I'm gonna go ahead and modify the t case crossmember so I am able to hook up the front driveshaft.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Also, now with the increased pressure from the pump, it likes to blow fluid out of the lid at high rpms.

Is there a lid someone knows of that's better than this chinsey plastic one that seals tight?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Also, now with the increased pressure from the pump, it likes to blow fluid out of the lid at high rpms.

Is there a lid someone knows of that's better than this chinsey plastic one that seals tight?
Remote reservoir

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
You're just full of answers today lmao

I was mistaken anyways, after taking it for another ride around, I looked, it has not lost anymore.

I just put too much in there.

Last time I did this, I dont recall an issue with it puking fluid out. That cap is pretty ****** on my.Pump anyways, it just needs to be thrown away and replaced.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hydraulic assist completed.
Just needs a little more fluid.

Steers with 1 finger at idle.

You must be registered for see images attach
Super cool!!! Didnt know the ram would make it that much easier! Btw how much of a dog is it with all that SAS stuff on that 4.3?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Super cool!!! Didnt know the ram would make it that much easier! Btw how much of a dog is it with all that SAS stuff on that 4.3?

I'll admit, with added weight, you feel a difference, but I wouldn't call it a dog, still will spin the tires if I romp down on it, but it has stolen some power.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
So yesterday me and my little brother took the s10 out and about, I went way down in some cow pastures and fields, riding about, then we went down in the woods in some trails I used to go on, i knew they were in fact pretty dense thru there, and as it turns out, the deeper I got into the woods, the more the trees began to take over and consume the path. We went from riding to running over trees to finally almost a dead end because the trees were too big to run over.

In a tight spot, I'm able to pull forward/left, then back up. I proceed to back up, pull forward again but mind you this is on a hill. I go to pull forward, and I slip a bit, (it's still 2wd for now), so I back up once more, stomp it, and then I'm stuck in between 2 trees after slipping! LOL

One tree right in front of the truck, another 2 feet behind me.
I back up on the tree, it gets wedged under my back bumper, but there's enough room and turning radius in the truck, I'm able to do a 3 point turn.

On that final turn, I proceed to maneuver out... I'm stuck.....
Im a firm believer in my own moto.... "if you can't make it out slow, hold it down until you do" :driver:

Having said that, naturally I just hold it down, spinning 1 tire on the rear... And then there goes that awful chatter from the transmission!!! :mad:

It used to do it on occasion BEFORE the SAS, like if I stomped it on dry pavement, it would spin, but when it did catch traction, the transmission would occasionally.... Chatter? / slip? Sounded like a clunking noise, just a temporary loss of power applied. It's a ****** ol junkyard tranny, figured I'd just beat it to death until it quits. :suicide:

I have the last tranny that was put in the s10 before this current one sitting, thought I might built it up real real tough with heavy duty components so it could take a real hammering. :chair:

ANYWAY! it did that bs on me, I was able to back up against the tree, give it another romp, and escape.... Truck does GREAT just to be honest. Even in 2wd. Steers wonderful, if the tire is against a tree.... Guess what, that hydraulic ram just pushes the whole front over if a tree is in the way of a tire.
Generally at about 1500-1800 rpm I can just cruise thru trails going what the speedo says to be 10-15 mph. It I wanna go faster, I just mash it, motor gets up there to 2500, does fine.

If I just wanna be a fool and spin the tire while I'm rolling, I mash it down even higher at say.... 4000-4500?, (I'm not watching rpms because I'm not out on the road)

the tire just spins the entire way. (I gotta get a locker or weld up a open carrier)

On the blacktop/pavement near me, riding down it, steering doesn't wander anymore.

With shocks and Trac bars in the rear end on a offroad ride, the back of it isn't so damn bouncy anymore!

I still need shocks for the front however, that's still pretty bouncy. :anitoof:

Maybe I'll leave it that way, makes a visually pleasant ride when the misses is in the passenger seat :naughty:

Thinking I'm gonna use a squarebody sway bar and adapt it to fit.... I sold the extra dana 60 I had, damn if I had just thought about it! I could've kept the sway bar off of it!!!! Stupid. :insane:

Such as life.... During this week, I'll be modding the t case crossmember so I can hook up the front shaft. :gr_grin:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Vince, about the front shock comment, that's a "dirty oldman" comment and you're NOT old enough!!!!

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Well, I have somewhat ****** news.
I went and unbolted the cross member from the truck, and went to fit up a full size cross member with a skid plate on it... No prob! As it turns out, with some angle iron, I should be able to make it work just fine, and with that in place, I will be able to utilize the front driveshaft!
Now onto the bad news.

I got the driveshaft loose from behind the exhaust, go to see if it'll hook up to the front axle...
Not even close!
It's sitting above the axle pinion by about 2-3" with it laid all the way on the ears of the yoke.

Bummer!

I held onto the front driveshaft from the suburban because its double cardon, and after mocking that up, I'll have plenty of alignment to the axle pinion.... Which brings me to the next step.... I need that np241 that I thought I didn't need..... So I'm on the prowl for a 27 spline, drivers drop np241 from a 88-97 OBS 1/2 ton.

Yay!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well, I have somewhat ****** news.
I went and unbolted the cross member from the truck, and went to fit up a full size cross member with a skid plate on it... No prob! As it turns out, with some angle iron, I should be able to make it work just fine, and with that in place, I will be able to utilize the front driveshaft!
Now onto the bad news.

I got the driveshaft loose from behind the exhaust, go to see if it'll hook up to the front axle...
Not even close!
It's sitting above the axle pinion by about 2-3" with it laid all the way on the ears of the yoke.

Bummer!

I held onto the front driveshaft from the suburban because its double cardon, and after mocking that up, I'll have plenty of alignment to the axle pinion.... Which brings me to the next step.... I need that np241 that I thought I didn't need..... So I'm on the prowl for a 27 spline, drivers drop np241 from a 88-97 OBS 1/2 ton.

Yay!
Unsure of the spline count but i just trashed that one i showed you a few weeks ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1