1989 GMC V3500 Square Body Wont go into 2nd 3rd or reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ok. So is it plausible that I should still by some luck get it to pop into reverse so I can remove the cover?

Yes I believe it is possible. It would help to move the reverse gate to make it easier before you put the shifter back in. I know getting the cover off and back on can be a real PIA so take your time and don't loose patience. You should get your hands on a clip for the detent plunger before you open it up.

jrc

Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V3500
Engine Size
Ok, sorry to ask so many questions, but I am no expert and don't want to make a more costly mistake.

Can you elaborate more on how to get the reverse gate over if I am viewing down at the pic I provided?

Also, is there a part number or description for the clip on the detent plunger so I can buy one?

Thanks again.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Looking at your second pic. In order from left to right the gates are as follows: R, 2-3, L-1. The R gate is not ligned up with the other two so you will need to slide it so it aligns. The plunger with the spring pushes over to the left but it won't stay in position. The reverse gate appears to be blocking it from moving to the left right now. Does this help?

GEB

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Georgeb is dead 0n.

jrc

Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V3500
Engine Size
Alright guys. The 1/8th roll pin near the bottom of the shift lever has rounded out the hole on the case to where there is at least 1/16th of play. I took some paper clips, trimmed off the bent parts, stuffed the paper clip bends down beside the roll pin to make a shim, put electrical tape over the shaft, then put it back in the truck to test. Electrical tape to keep the paper clip pieces from falling in...

I just let it sit in the shift hole and didnt push the spring retainer in. 1st and 2nd still good. If I barely lift the shifter out, it will go into 3rd and 4th. Lift it a bit more, and it will go in reverse. Hopefully this means welding it to get rid of the slop will fix it.

I removed it and will weld it up tomorrow and let you know my results.

Keep fingers crossed.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Once it it welded up you Will most likely still need to fix the reverse detent plunger by replacing the retainer.

jrc

Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC V3500
Engine Size
I'm afraid you will be right. I was hoping to get access through the top of the floorboard to remove the cover, but it is solid except for the opening. Will I need to drop the tranny out to get the cover off?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I'm afraid you will be right. I was hoping to get access through the top of the floorboard to remove the cover, but it is solid except for the opening. Will I need to drop the tranny out to get the cover off?

You can go about it two ways either drop the trans or cut a hole in the hump to access the trans cover. I don't know which way I would go so that is your call. I can tell you that tranny is freaking heavy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strokedK15