1987 Silverado Fuel/Wiper Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcbbabtexas

Reaction score
First Name
Baron
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I am new to the forum and was hoping someone has had similar issues I am going through so that I might get a little advice. I have a 1987 Silverado with a 454 from a 78 Suburban, two fuel tanks. Just got the truck so don't know a ton about it. When I got it, it idled normal. Just a few days later, it wouldn't start. I put starting fluid in the carb and got it running, then after a while it died. I thought it was out of gas, filled the tank up. Still wouldn't start. A friend came over and we put a little fuel in the carb and it started and idled for 10 minutes. The next day, letting it cool down, it wouldn't start again. I went to the auto parts store and installed a clear fuel filter between the pump and carb and now it seems to be getting no gas. The fuel pump looks new! I am not sure if the switch works for tank selection or if that could even be an issue.

Meanwhile, the wipers were only moving slowly so I bought a new motor and same results.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
On the fuel supply:

This is a long shot, but an easy first check. Are you aware that the tank select switch (on the dash) is of the momentary type design. IOW, it must be held in while the Pollak valve rotates and switches the ports over from one tank to the other. It doesn't take very long, but you must hold the switch in the position of the desired tank for at least 2 seconds. That should be long enough to be sure the valve does not stop halfway between tanks. It is not as if it designed to take suction on both tanks if it is left in mid-rotation. It has to be all the way over to one tank or the other.

On the wipers. It could be an arm linkage problem.

Start with this easy check; disco the wiper motor from the wiper arm linkage and see if the motor (while unattached from the linkage) runs at normal speed.

While it's off (if the motor does run normally when not driving the linkage) remove the arms from the splines and pull the cowling and plastic piece underneath. Check the linkage for freedom of motion and inspect the pivot points for excessive wear/play.

bcbbabtexas

Reaction score
First Name
Baron
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Fuel/Wiper

Thank you for your reply. On another forum, someone made some suggestions. I took off the selector switch and noticed it isn't even wired. So, I am not a mechanic, but maybe the switch was locked on the driver's side fuel tank, which I did not fill up. I am going to add some gas to that side and try it.

As far as the wipers, I have not tried that. I bought a new motor and they were still slow so that just might be the problem. I will post. Thanks again!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thank you for your reply. On another forum, someone made some suggestions. I took off the selector switch and noticed it isn't even wired. So, I am not a mechanic, but maybe the switch was locked on the driver's side fuel tank, which I did not fill up. I am going to add some gas to that side and try it.

As far as the wipers, I have not tried that. I bought a new motor and they were still slow so that just might be the problem. I will post. Thanks again!

On the older trucks, if the switch or valve quit working, it generally disables the driver side tank. But I know the later valves and switches are wired differently, maybe they are backwards.

bcbbabtexas

Reaction score
First Name
Baron
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Fuel switch

I dont know alot about the fuel pumps. Am I to assume their are Two inlets from the pump for each tank or do those get determined at the valve on the frame rail? I guess what I mean is on the mechanical pump there are two inlets and one outlet. Is one inlet for each tank?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I dont know alot about the fuel pumps. Am I to assume their are Two inlets from the pump for each tank or do those get determined at the valve on the frame rail? I guess what I mean is on the mechanical pump there are two inlets and one outlet. Is one inlet for each tank?

One of those is just a vent/return line used in emissions years. It's hard to say what's been done since the truck was originally TBI (assuming, since nearly all of them were). Just need to get under it and start tracing lines.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
There is a line that goes from each tank to the selector valve on the frame rail. That valve then has one outlet that goes up to the fuel pump and then the carburetor.

I had a post the same time as bucket.

bcbbabtexas

Reaction score
First Name
Baron
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Fuel tank and switch

Ok, I put gas in the passenger tank, started right up. So, meanwhile I ordered a new switch and am getting the new wiring harness for it. I am hoping this solves the problem and I can switch to the left tank. As for now, I will check the wiper linkage to see if that makes them run faster.

A HUGE Thank you for all those replying to help. I am sure there will be more questions.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I'd put some fuel stabilizer in the non-working tank to keep the gas from going bad if its gonna be a while before you get it fixed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP