1987 RCSB 2WD lowering questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob Pick

Reaction score
First Name
jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hello, I just bought my first square body and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the best lowering kit to the truck as low as possibly with out bags and without notching the frame? And what size wheel and tire would fit and look good?

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
2 " drop spindles and 1-2" springs up front. Shackles,hangers,and shock relocation in the rear.
Thats about 3-4 or 4-4 drop. Low as you want to go without notching the rear,

4.5 backspacing front and 5.15 to 5.5 rear as far as wheels.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I agree with Swearbodys recommendations.

While there are plenty of drop spindles out there, I prefer the CPP modular spindle for its brake options and drum brake offset. They have reasonably priced control arms that help with alignment as well. If you do decide on doing a C-Notch, use a high quality piece and lower it by cutting off the perches and welding on new ones.

After that, most parts are preferred brand or have other benefits that may or may not pertain to you.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
I run CPP front and rear. I recommend them and both suggestions above. You can peep my pics to see what the stance looks like.

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350
Went with an axle flip kit from DJM on my 87, shock relocation and drop shocks. More or less a 5” drop. I’ve yet to slap frame and don’t have it notched, but I also don’t haul or tow anything.
Running DJM lower control arms for 3” in the front, reason being you can run your 15in rally’s w/o any clearance issues between the LCA and wheel (if you’re going the spindle + rally route, you’ll need to do a lil grinding on the arms, or just run a 17” wheel). Wasn’t too stoked with just the dropped control arms, so I got some 2” belltech drop springs to install here soon...as for tires Ive ran 20x9’s with a 245/40 and been happy. Attached is a picture with the 3” drop in the front and axle flip in the back, with the 245/40/20
You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
On my low rider I also flipped the axle in the rear to the top of the springs. Bump stops removed from the frame, added a much shorter set with a bracket bolted to the side of the frame. To carry weight I replaced shocks with air shocks. Empty, just 25 PSI in the shocks. Weight in the bed, add pressure as needed. Separate air fills so no pressure transfer.

The front, new upper and lower A arms and springs designed for the truck. This keeps the suspension geometry in spec and also from wearing tires uneven. Costs more, but well worth the time and money. No issue with wide wheels.

Result is a 4/6 drop with no frame mods.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne