1986 K10 Suburban 350 chevy rev ranges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86-K10-Burban

Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It might just be me, but I recently fixed up my 1986 K10 Chevy Suburban for an everyday driver. It has a 350 in it with a turbo 700R4 tranny. The engine has some performance mods in it, small cam, intake, carb, ignition, headers etc. If I floor it no matter what gear, the truck only revs up to 4000rpm then shifts. To me this seems a bit low. Considering my old 97 Suburban would rev to 6000rpm. Just curious if this is normal for it only to rev to 4000rpm or is it shifting to early? In neutral it will rev to 5500rpm no problem without any problems.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have you made sure the T.V. cable is properly adjusted?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That wot shift point is due to the governor springs.

Sent from the dust in front of you!
Edit: springs are light throttle the weights are wot

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Mine shifts about the same spot.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you think it is your engine holding up just leave it in 2nd and see how high she will go for you.

86-K10-Burban

Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I talked to my mechanic and my T.V cable is set on a basic setting he told me. He is going to adjust it next week and I should get another 500 rpm to 1000rpm but I have to see if it makes any of the other shifts point to violent for the tranny, don't want to blow it up.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That will also extend the point if all other shifts. And very well may make it shift hard. B&M Shift Point Change Kit For TH350, TH400, 700R…: http://youtu.be/kXnQyfNVVJc

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Sorry let me reiterate... that will extend the part throttle shift points I.e. normal shift points.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I talked to my mechanic and my T.V cable is set on a basic setting he told me. He is going to adjust it next week and I should get another 500 rpm to 1000rpm but I have to see if it makes any of the other shifts point to violent for the tranny, don't want to blow it up.

There is no basic setting. That's a pile of BS. Its also a good way to trash your tranny.

Its either set correct or not. like 350 says you need to install a shift kit if you want to change how it works.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Who set the TV cable ? your mechanic ? How is the shift from 1-2 ? What carb do you have ?

86-K10-Burban

Reaction score
First Name
Zachary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a holly truck avenger 670CFM with all of the holley brackets to make it work with the turbo 700R4 tranny. I will look into the shift kit for sure and my mechanic set the T.V cable and it works really well. My first to second shift point is very positive but nothing brutal. As for my mechanic being a loud of bull I wouldn't say that considering his shop only works on older cars and his work is very well known here in windsor.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Basic TV setting is a pile of BS its either correct or its not. If you have a firm but smooth 1-2 shift then leave the TV cable alone. Your only gonna burn your transmission messing with it, as that is by no means a correct method of changing your shift points. That's like dumber then dumb method. and it wont even change much anyways.

When I was young I used to assume people knew what they were doing especially if that was their profession. Now 25 years later I realize that most people just know how to sell BS really good.

If you don't believe me research TV cable adjustment and then call all the professional transmission builders like Monster, TCI and GM and ask them. They will tell you the same thing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Do you have the throttle corrector bracket? specifically or the holley? TCI made the one for my edelbrock.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You just need to go one size lighter on one of the two weights on the governor. You can also just trim one of the two weights. Start small on trimming! The way to trim is to cut or grind the corners off, not cut completely across the edge. The center of the edge has to stay there.

Leave the springs alone; they control the spacing between the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points. Changing the weights moves the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points identically.

You will destroy the hinge pins taking them out. Just replace them with a #6 finish nail, and bend the end over.

BTDT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB