1986 CCC 454 Convert to TBI 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You would need 454 TBI as it has the 2 inch bore.

And i remember someone - maybe Jim - saying that the 454 has a couple of extra wires than the 350. But I could be thinking of something else.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

And i remember someone - maybe Jim - saying that the 454 has a couple of extra wires than the 350. But I could be thinking of something else.

Yeah, kinda sux Jim got so disgusted about his vehicle situation. He was our resident TBI guru. I get it though. I've been there too. Trying to get myself back into the projects too, to where I'm going to get something accomplished instead of plan changing every 2-3 days, but now look. Changed plans on the Brown C20's, and now talking about switching the 454 into the Burb. Neither of those plans is what I wanted to do, but I've just got to make something work cheap as possible with what I have. I want to be going places this spring and summer if possible. Austin is certainly on that short list too btw. I don't want to waste the $140 or so on registering the Burb unless I know I'm going to be driving it and keeping it long term. The only thing I have set in stone right now, is I want the K10 for long term registered with the current legal VIN of it being a 6.2 truck. Blah Blah Blah, it was just a thought. If I could cheap out on the Burb, I'd do it. Then I'd have exhaust to deal with too. Not so sure that OEM exhaust in the C20 will fit the Burb either. Prolly not. And have to add O2 sensors too. Prolly enough for me just to keep on the latest plan and put the 454 in the K10. I can put the 454 in the K10 now as is, and the TBI conversion can come later as I acquire the parts. It doesn't have to be done right now and can get it legally on the road and driving. Or course I could just put this used 350 in it too and leave the blue C20 a complete truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Because I have a used 350 Carbed and ready to roll, but I don't have to use TBI heads and intake or add a knock sensor where the 454 is ready for the adapter and TBI now. Just seems I'd be a couple steps ahead already to use the 454. It's not really a power thing, although more torque in the K10 would be nice, I'm more after some form of injection in the K10 to avoid the carb fuel starvation on inclines.

I'm pretty sure there's been another plan change anyway and it goes along real well with using the 454 out of the blue C20 anyway if you know whutta mean.

Just trying to nail down permanent plans that makes sense, the cheapest way possible so I know what I want to start bringing from my dads to work on here at the house this spring. This **** has sat to fuggin long and broke or not, I want to be working on something. Also knowing for sure what I'm going to use, I can start selling some of the other parts to put this one together.

I guess I oughta update the K10 thread with the plan change. Some might be a shocked or disagree. :shrug:

You can use an adapter to put GM TBI on any 4bbl intake, Summit has a nice selection for around 35 bucks IIRC. No intake or head swaps needed. I wouldn't trust that knock sensor you already have anyway. It might be tuned for a different application and you don't know if it's ever seen too much torque being removed or installed.

The smaller TB's have the same bolt pattern, they just have a smaller bore. The 454 TB also has a different plug for the IAC and it also lacks a stud for a kickdown/TV cable. You have to mod the linkage if you want one.

I have a stock cast iron TBI intake from a '91 454. It has a dedicated TB mount, no carb. It's yours if you want it but I'm sure shipping isn't very cheap. I personally think a good aftermarket intake with an adapter is a better option, that's what I'm doing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for the offer on the TBI intake. Hold on to it for a bit. You're right, shipping would kill it cuz I know those aren't light.

No TV cable provision will be a problem if I use the A883 like I hope to do. So could I just cut the ends and swap the IAC plug or are the wires totally different?

Knock Sensors are the same part in 91 models for both 5.7 and 7.4 and are $37 for an AC Delco sensor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
But wasn't your knock sensor for the carb setup?

The IAC conector is the same one used on oodles of other GM vehicles. It's the same number of wires, it's just a flat connector instead of a square one.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
And you've got the fixins for a kickass little K10! 454 TBI, A883, 4.56 FF rear with a Detroit, ARB for the front, all you need is a bit of lift and a set of 35's.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But wasn't your knock sensor for the carb setup?

The IAC conector is the same one used on oodles of other GM vehicles. It's the same number of wires, it's just a flat connector instead of a square one.

yes, MY knock sensor is for a carbed, ESC/CCC system, I won't use that. I just checked on 91 models. Both 350 and 454 use the same sensor on TBI motors, so if I have to rod a sensor off a 350 TBI motor at PAP, I can do that. If it doesn't throw a code or ping, then I'll know it works. This is going to be a very very low budget deal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And you've got the fixins for a kickass little K10! 454 TBI, A883, 4.56 FF rear with a Detroit, ARB for the front, all you need is a bit of lift and a set of 35's.

Yes that's what I'm hoping. It should be a pretty cool, slow but torquey set up. But, I don't have the 4.56's. All I have is 4.10's and 3.73's. So I figured I'd use the 14b Full Float 4.10 and the Detroit Locker out of the CUCV rear end. And then the ARB Air Locker 4.10 front axle. That'll gimme a TRUE 4x4 with the flip of a switch for the front axle. All I have to do is get an air compressor and line for the ARB. I'm thinking of an air tank and compressor for airing up tires, and air horns. I'm hoping to go with a 31 gallon Blazer tank in the rear. That will leave the bedsides open for compressor mounting and an air tank.

As far as lift, I've already got the front 4in front lift springs that came with the 4.10 ARB front axle. In the back, I plan on moving the rear spring hanger back to accept these 56in C6P 3/4 ton springs off the truck I just scrapped and that should give me a bit of lift in the rear, and then add the 2in blocks I have to make it sit real close to level I hope. I'll have to find some 8 lug front drum and convert the 6 lug 10 bolt. Then we'll have to see what I can come up for wheels and tires for 8 lug.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I put 1 ton 56's in the rear of my Burb that came with 52's. I gained maybe an inch from that. Maybe. There's nothing wrong with a 4 inch block, Ford and Dodge have been doing it for years.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This Burb is what those front lift springs came off of. And everyone seems to think it appears to be 4in lift. It had 2in blocks. I didn't get them since I already some looked to be even taller than them, maybe 2.5 or 3 in. And this Burb sits lower in the rear, so it made sense to me. I do expect the spring to give me close to an inch. and with the blocks I have, it should sit better than this Burb as far as level goes. I'll have a couple more springs in the pack, and maybe .5 in taller block.

Makes me mad, I wish I coulda had that burb frame and the TBI 350 and computer and harnesses. The frame was surface rusty but could have been blasted and POR-15'ed. It was the sheet metal that was ate up.

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 001b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 001b.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 105
  • JnoTrucks 008b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 008b.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 103
  • liftburbon35s1.jpg
    liftburbon35s1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 93

jpoole

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
I know this is a little old now but are you still looking for 454 TBI stuff? I have a 1990 454 ECM that had the 3l80(has the kickdown calibration) I also have the intake with the aluminum adapter. I also have the exhaust Y pipe. You can have this stuff if you want just let me know. I put a small block where the 454 was and have these and a few other extra parts now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorta Kinda am. The project is on hold for the moment, but it can sure be fired back up. I have a good running 454 that can be easily converted. I never thought about that kickdown calibration in the ECM. So you're saying the Th400/3L80 get's its kickdown signal from the ECM instead of the throttle pedal switch? And that would be off of the TPS then. I don't know if it matters much on the ECM, I do have the one from the 350/700r4 and I know it controls lock up on the converter that Th400 doesn't have. Not sure if the 2 are interchangeable or not. I have been told this wiring harness will work for the 454, and if I found the adapter I could even use the small block TBI unit to get by until I got a BBC TBI unit.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

The difference is just in the harness, two wires for the IAC are swapped from the small block positions. If the. If the TBI unit is from a 94-95, you will need to run a TPI pump.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Sorta Kinda am. The project is on hold for the moment, but it can sure be fired back up. I have a good running 454 that can be easily converted. I never thought about that kickdown calibration in the ECM. So you're saying the Th400/3L80 get's its kickdown signal from the ECM instead of the throttle pedal switch? And that would be off of the TPS then. I don't know if it matters much on the ECM, I do have the one from the 350/700r4 and I know it controls lock up on the converter that Th400 doesn't have. Not sure if the 2 are interchangeable or not. I have been told this wiring harness will work for the 454, and if I found the adapter I could even use the small block TBI unit to get by until I got a BBC TBI unit.

Yup, the relay that sits next to the fuel pump relay is for the 400/3L80 kickdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade