1985 Monte Carlo SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Everybody wants to be Crispy!

Yesterday (Saturday night) on Hollywood Blvd I saw a very short "car rally" of six tricked-out rides, Impalas and Monte Carlos, come cruising and hopping down the Blvd.

The second-to-last was jacked up in the back to an absurd degree, showing off ****-loads of chrome suspension parts. But I liked the last one best, a stock mid-80's white/cream Monte in just immaculate condition, driven by a kid who looked about 14 years old.

I tried to run after them and give that kid a shout-out, but the light changed and they cruised on into the sunset (literally).

So cool to see.

--BR

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
OH!! Hate it when that happens. Did something similar many years when installing a 350 in place of a 327 in a 63 impala.

Live and learn right? I'm willing to bet you didnt do that again.

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
Live and learn right? I'm willing to bet you didnt do that again.
. I have learned to double check. But for some reason I still managed to leave a rag in an engine recently. Life is a journey.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
. I have learned to double check. But for some reason I still managed to leave a rag in an engine recently. Life is a journey.
About 20 years ago, hospitals started printing bar-codes on every single thing ever used in surgery, due to the alarming numbner of sponges and sutures and debris that got accidentally sewn up inside surgical patients. Everything had to be scanned-in and then scanned-out at the end, and if something was missing they had to go look for it.

This dramatically reduced the number of post-op emergencies from "embedded foreign bodies".

Not sure how you would implement that in your garage or shop, but just remeber that it happens to everybody. :)

BR

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
About 20 years ago, hospitals started printing bar-codes on every single thing ever used in surgery, due to the alarming numbner of sponges and sutures and debris that got accidentally sewn up inside surgical patients. Everything had to be scanned-in and then scanned-out at the end, and if something was missing they had to go look for it.

This dramatically reduced the number of post-op emergencies from "embedded foreign bodies".

Not sure how you would implement that in your garage or shop, but just remeber that it happens to everybody. :)

BR
We had conformal tool boxes in the Air Force so tools wouldn’t get left in aircraft. It worked for the most part.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Alright, engine is out. Offending flexplate is boxed up and ready to be sent back. New flexplate WAS MOCKED FOR FITMENT FIRST!!!! and is mated to the engine. Gonna get back on this Friday and hopefully get it test fired down the carb.

You must be registered for see images attach

Excuse my clean hands, I used gloves because I wanted to yank this out quick after work and get it ready for UPS tomorrow.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Tell me about it! Look at 10 year old Camaros, the SS models are still pretty pricey. Hopefully one day the right one comes along for ya. Just be warned it will probably cost that same it did now as it did back in HS lol
I wish it only cost that much now.
I recall giving $4k or $4500 for my ‘86 in 1990. Had around 60k miles if I recall and no issues except cracked paint on the hood. I had to take a loan , I remember that.
Cars in similar shape now are double that much. Or more if in better shape.

And a 200r4 only lasts about 3 weeks behind a 400 sbc! Found that out the hard way. Dropped my Impala engine in it with the HEI and Qjet off the 305 in it. Ran well until it stopped going forward, lol.
Got trans rebuilt and replaced the 305 into it. Didn’t have $ for a built trans

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Hey @Crispy

Nice Monte! I'd like one of those myself one day to have and play with!

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I wish it only cost that much now.
I recall giving $4k or $4500 for my ‘86 in 1990. Had around 60k miles if I recall and no issues except cracked paint on the hood. I had to take a loan , I remember that.
Cars in similar shape now are double that much. Or more if in better shape.

And a 200r4 only lasts about 3 weeks behind a 400 sbc! Found that out the hard way. Dropped my Impala engine in it with the HEI and Qjet off the 305 in it. Ran well until it stopped going forward, lol.
Got trans rebuilt and replaced the 305 into it. Didn’t have $ for a built trans

I meant pre-owned dealership prices of the day. I'm sure it would be more in the teens for a nice clean, low mileage example. The 2004r was an ok trans if you didnt really encourage it. The units from Grand Nationals were a little beefier. Nothing wrong with a 400/400 combo!

Hey @Crispy

Nice Monte! I'd like one of those myself one day to have and play with!

Super fun cars. All of my previous Montes had 3:73's so even though they were slow as molasses it felt ok getting off the line.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Collection of MCSS golden nuggets that came out of my attic.

Aluminum front bumper with energy absorbers, original tailights(with crest) dash parts (with ac vents) and console (with coin tray) and the OE 200-4R plastic torque convertor cover and a kick panel cover!

Those ORIGINAL taillights are broken but replacements don't have those emblems/crests on em anymore im pretty certain. That's why I kept em.

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Definitely want the tranny inspection cover. May also want the dash bezel. Gotta check the condition of mine out. PM inbound a little later.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Very cool project! I’ve always wanted one of these

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Oil cooler adapter is replaced with a regular one. Filter is still pretty close to the header but it fits and I bought a rock auto close out of wix made 51069 filters a while back. I dont think its gonna be much fun doing an oil change on this lol. Oh well.

That's not so bad... I would put a few strips of heat reflecting tape on the filter. I've been doing this for years, I don't know if it makes any difference but it makes me smile.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Very cool project! I’ve always wanted one of these

Thanks! Should be a fun car when its done.

That's not so bad... I would put a few strips of heat reflecting tape on the filter. I've been doing this for years, I don't know if it makes any difference but it makes me smile.

I have some laying around. I'll try it and share the smile lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128