1985 Monte Carlo SS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Ya know SS monte Carlos had factory aluminum bumpers - not steel. Check it out.

And you made the right choice on the decals imo. Good mark of a cheap paint job/p.o...any plans to get the stripes ? Pretty sure Phoenix Graphics sells the kit.

I sold my SS and spent some good time prepping it for delivery today as a matter of fact.
A 275/60/15 will fit out back with a hammer.
I always wanted an aftermarket "NASCAR type" factory spoiler it's called. Looks the same but is two inches taller and finally, you can double up the front air dam if you buy another one and flip it upside down - it bolts together. ;)
Just sayin.

Good luck @Crispy

OoOoooooo nice tidbits there Rusty, thanks. I'll have to check the front clip for that bumper, I didnt know that.

I dont wanna get the pinstripes. The plan with the body is to try with a denim wheel and some high cut compound to bring the orange peel down flat. If that doesnt work then the DA comes out. After the orange peel is down I'm gonna seal it and take it to maaco and get a cheapo spray job in gloss black. Previous owner was so lax with the rustoleum it hurts. I dunno what would possess someone to keep spraying after seeing the **** that was happening but whatever, now its my problem.

I have my eye on black firebird wheels that look like GNX wheels and add to that a little lowered stance. Once thats done I'd love to see how that dual air dam looks.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The rear was aluminum too. The core support was also ORIGINALLY aluminum...FYI. Good way to tell if and how bad it was wrecked because replacements are steel. :(
Ummm most real SS cars were built in Canada if you find that it's a positive sign for sure.

Ummmm s-10 drop spindles fit that car annnnnd that's prolly all I know about that you care for lol.
I have a new pair here. Little rust on one from storage. Make an offer that includes shipping from 73127 and they're yours. Belltech 2 inch. I cut one whole round out of the front springs.

Thought i'd share. Congratulations.

There is such a thing as the monte carlo owners association of america or similar that I was once a card carrying member of - they had newsletters and stickers and meetings (back in the day) ive owned three but only one SS. One CL and one LS.

:waytogo:

Last edited:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Gonna have to look into it. The rear quarter was done and so with it went the original truck and RPO sheet. Vin starts with a 1 which designates US built and all of my previous SS cars also started with a 1. All had the L69 and F40 (or was it F45) chassis bracing along with proper gauges and interior trim so I'd safely bet they are true SS cars.

Belltech spindles huh? Seems interesting. Do you have to retain stock hubs? Was planning a dual piston front brake swap using OEM parts. I dont think thats possible with the drop spindles. 98-04 2wd blazers allow you to run either F body or corvette brakes which would be nice.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Anything to do with the user name? One of my fave cars growing up. I got all nostalgic and had to have it lol.

Yeah, I had an 86 Monte Carlo in high school. Wire wheel covers, vinyl top, hood ornament and all. Looked pretty grandma-ish when I first got it, but found some rally wheels off a Cutlass and put dual exhaust on it and that helped. Was my favorite car. I had a neighbor who had a silver SS. I really wanted one like that, but I never had enough money to buy one. Ended up selling the monte to my cousin who still has it to this day. At least it stayed in the family.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Crispy, please save that car from whatever the PO though they were doing there!
Had a '86 SS back in high school. (To think I could afford a 4 year old "sports" car then and it was stock, perfect shape, but that wouldn't even be a reality for any kid on a part time job wage today, by a long shot)
Loved that car. It fit the bill since no way I could afford a Grand National.
IMO, those are a couple cars that look their best just as the rolled off the assembly line and still do. If the right one ever comes along, it WILL be sitting in my shop. Have missed out on a couple and most owners think a nice one is worth as much as a GN.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
@Crispy, please save that car from whatever the PO though they were doing there!
Had a '86 SS back in high school. (To think I could afford a 4 year old "sports" car then and it was stock, perfect shape, but that wouldn't even be a reality for any kid on a part time job wage today, by a long shot)
Loved that car. It fit the bill since no way I could afford a Grand National.
IMO, those are a couple cars that look their best just as the rolled off the assembly line and still do. If the right one ever comes along, it WILL be sitting in my shop. Have missed out on a couple and most owners think a nice one is worth as much as a GN.

Tell me about it! Look at 10 year old Camaros, the SS models are still pretty pricey. Hopefully one day the right one comes along for ya. Just be warned it will probably cost that same it did now as it did back in HS lol

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Crispy, that is a sick-looking gangsta-sinister ride you already have there. Can't wait to see the progress.

I inherited my grandfather's sky-blue '82 Monte and drove it my last year of HS. I was a dumb 16-17-yo punk who knew nothing at all about cars, but man did I love that thing.

You know who else loved it? Girls. Hehehe.

Rock on, brutha.

-- BRetty

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the compliments man. Cant wait to rip around in it a bit

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Actually, Crispy, maybe you can help me out.....

WTF are "hood pins" and what is the point of them? I mean, I have seen them before but I just don't get it. Is it some kind of crude anti-theft device so a-holes won't steal your battery and sweet valve covers?

?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Actually, Crispy, maybe you can help me out.....

WTF are "hood pins" and what is the point of them? I mean, I have seen them before but I just don't get it. Is it some kind of crude anti-theft device so a-holes won't steal your battery and sweet valve covers?

?

Haha no way they arent theft devices. Hood pins were originally designed for racers to keep their fiberglass hoods down during the race or impact. In my monte carlos case where it has the oem hood and a working latch and release it serves no purpose except for being the butt of a joke an lightening some guys wallet a few bucks at the auto zone chrome aisle.

Some guys were so adamant about weight loss that they would have fiberglass hoods with no hinges and a pin at each corner. The lift off hoods also provide great access to the engine bay.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
GMSB: We report, you decide.

Thanks for the info, I had always wondered about those things.

--BR

pduffyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Love this SS Crispy.
Had to sell mine for my square project.
Mine was an 84 SS, with a crate 350 and 4l60 hydromatic, plugged right in so I had overdrive with the factory torque coverter lockup.
2200 at 65mph, much better than 3000 with my MV4 th350!

Loads of fun!

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Gonna have to look into it. The rear quarter was done and so with it went the original truck and RPO sheet. Vin starts with a 1 which designates US built and all of my previous SS cars also started with a 1. All had the L69 and F40 (or was it F45) chassis bracing along with proper gauges and interior trim so I'd safely bet they are true SS cars.

Belltech spindles huh? Seems interesting. Do you have to retain stock hubs? Was planning a dual piston front brake swap using OEM parts. I dont think thats possible with the drop spindles. 98-04 2wd blazers allow you to run either F body or corvette brakes which would be nice.

I don't know the answer to that question. What I own was intended to be replscement for the stock pieces but they also fit S-10...and something else...El Camino /Sprint.

:)

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
So I got the engine mated to the trans, got the accessory drive bolted up and a new tranny mount in place.

Then I walked away because the the flexplate doesnt bolt to the torque converter. W T F!!!!

The engine did not come with a flexplate so I purchased the flexplate for the l31 engine. 14" outer diameter, 168 tooth. I also have the corresponding starter.

Seems like the torque converter bolt holes are about .5 inches from center.

The anger flowing through me due to my own haste and looking over that small yet labor inducing detail is yuge. I'm gonna make myself a stiff drink, clean up the shop, and have a daytime fire.

I got another one coming in that is the correct bolt circle for the 2004r trans.

Lesson fn learned!

Madhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.3/NV4500/NP205/4:56 gear/35in tires
OH!! Hate it when that happens. Did something similar many years when installing a 350 in place of a 327 in a 63 impala.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84