1985 454 36k orig miles experts advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I will post pictures tom after i get off work.. Hi guys my name is SHane... and I wanna share my amazing find, and a quick overview on what I need and I will be along term member..

a guy was given this 1985 silverado 454 big block 2 months ago because this lady's husband died and she moved back to new york.. my brother moved this family for charity.. anyways long story short..

i start truck, started right away.. truck is clean interior and outside, original engine, everything is stock, 454 big block 36k miles and then guy goes let me show you something cool.. pulls out this old looking envelope, opens it up... he has the original 1985 receipt from the dealership purchase with guys name, he also has the original dmv title from 1985 same matching name, 1 owner, garage kept, also its a long bed... this is the amazing part... he is only asking 3,000$..

how much do you guys think this would be worth if i didn't do anything to it?
i dont have a vehicle right now, i am in electrician union and 5th year apprentice, i just started work last month and finally have money again.. i either a) want to do a quick restoration and resell, b) just resell(only reason why is 12mpg in las vegas with all the driving around i think i need somthing more efficient depending on HOW much this is worth. or c(and i am honestly 70% on this option) get aftermarket parts, redo interior, it needs a tailgate, suspension interior new paint make it a custom truck.. im talking anywhere from 3-8 grand over next 3 months and make it my own truck... now what do you guys think?? i have no idea where to start, anything about a carb motor... i will do tons of research on this site... but i wanted some of the experts on here to let me know what they think i should do in my situation(I need a vehicle honestly, I make really good money, and we are doing a sls remodel so in about a month i should be looking at 2-3 months of making 2-3 grand a week with all the overtime they want, plus work is really good in las vegas, so I am not going to be looking at being broke for along time, so I could always pick up a lil 2-3 k civic for gas purposes, i am going to buy this no matter what because I believe it is a good investment.... please help me out guys!!! my name is Shane, thank you guys!!! im also 26 years old and live in las vegas!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's worth what anyone will pay for it. Sadly, that's the honest truth without trying to be a smartass. If you're wanting to buy it to flip it, it might take awhile to sell but ebay would be the best outlet probably IMO. And I would not buy it to restore and flip. That works on TV, but it don't work in real life, not on a squarebody anyway. That only works on rare cars that you can steal in a barn find.

Any of us here who restore our trucks, it's for our hobby and our use with plans to keep it in the family, or was passed down from a family member, but you are restoring a sure loser if you restore a squarebody. You will not get out of it what you put in it in parts alone, not including your labor and paint.

If you like it and want a squarebody, It sounds to me $3000 is a good deal if the story is true and I see no reason for it not to be. But it's really not sounding like a feasible purchase for you if you're worried about the 12mpg and getting rid of it.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Really sounds like a great find but not a big money maker. I would buy it and keep it for myself if that's the type of vehicle you would like to have for yourself. If it's a 2wd then less desirable (especially where I live) but if it was a 4x4 I could see it going around here for 5-6k pretty easy but I live in WV. Make a great snow plow truck if its 4x4.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A great snow plow truck to be rusted to dust in less than 5 years. So much for the preserved 80's status after that.

4x4 is more desireable here too, but even the high school kids will do the 2wd's. Only people with 4x4's here are the outdoors type that go wheeling, hunting and camping. We don't have enough bad weather to justify a 4x4. Now the country folk will do 4x4
if they live down dirt or gravel roads that wash out in heavy rain, or have cattle to get access to their pastures.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E. Texas! Local 976

I'd offer the guy 2500 cash, because it's a long bed. Like HRPC said flipping a truck isn't easy. SB are in high demand, but it's the rare ones that bring top dollar. A half ton long bed not real hard to find. I have two of the hard SB to have, and if I'd did a "stock rebuild" on either one, I might get 5000-7000. When I get my Extra Cab done, I'll have around 15000 in it, I'd never get out of it what I'll have in it. Most of us build these trucks because we have some sort of sentimental attachment to them.

That being said they are a lot of fun to drive, and most people have owned one, or had a family member own one. so people always look. Good luck with your awesome find, we'll help out how every we can. :handshake:

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks

thank you guys. I appreciate it. ok here are some pictures.. im suppose to meet him tom at 12:00 pm. the guy drived it for 2 months, said the only problem was at 70 mph on decel there was a slight backfire for a quick half a second and said that is a timing problem and could easily be fixed? what do you guys think on pics? by the square cut out in the back, that would be to tow like a trailer home or a tow truck correct? and the oil at transfer case, does that mean a seal broke and was repaired? like i said there is only 1 owner, original receipt from 85 and original dmv registration from 85.. 32k original miles.. thanks for any and ALL info guys... i may try getting him to come down to 2000-2300ish what do u guys think i should settle on at the most if he wants 3k?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wait? Transfer Case? Is this a 4x4? You said C10 so that would be a 2wd. Do you mean K10 which is 4x4?

Something else that I thought of, might have to get with Retro to confirm, but I don't think 454 was an option in 85 for a half ton in either 2 or 4wd. So if it's got a 454 in it, that would mean it's NOT the original motor. I could be wrong on that though. Retro??? Was 454 and option for a half ton in 85?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
He never said C10 nor K10. A 1985 1/2 ton would not be an original 454 truck.

If it is a K30 4x4, it is a very desirable truck. If it's a C30, not so much except for being low mileage. They are only original once.

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
[/attach]

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 94
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 44

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

Shanex702x

Reaction score
First Name
shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

so what do you guys think?? please opinions / how does it look? rust/oil leak do you guys think this is worth 3 grand? do you think i could sell it for more? or do you think this would be a nice truck to drive around and put some money into it?

Attachments

• photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 100

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Ah, it's a C20 by the looks of the emblem. Not a bad looking truck at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy