1984 Silverado K20 fuel tank 20 gal replacements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
what brand of tanks seem to work the best on the aftermarkets, spectra, dorman or?? I understand the fill hose needs replaced and I have a gates fill hose but there is a 90deg formed return hose I believe that I cannot find anywhere other than lmc truck and its 20.00 each. thanks for the help. chuck

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The Spectra should be fine. I’m pretty sure all of these tanks are made in Taiwan, which is hell and gone better than their commie counterpart. I got one last year and was surprised with the sturdiness. Not as good as OEM, of course, but still not bad at all.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Look ahead and buy the '87 tank that has baffles for fuel injection and and in-tank pump. AFAIK it works fine with a carburetor, but gives you the option to later add an EFI pump.

Bruce

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The Spectra should be fine. I’m pretty sure all of these tanks are made in Taiwan, which is hell and gone better than their commie counterpart. I got one last year and was surprised with the sturdiness. Not as good as OEM, of course, but still not bad at all.

thanks I bought a spectra premium for amazon they had the best price and the third party that actually has it says they are still made in canada. As for the fill and vent/return I have to replace them too but want to get the tank first before I buy hoses so I know what size. they said the spectra has a smaller fill hose 1 3/4 OEM and the spectra is 1 5/8". Its a gates number on that one but the other 5/8 hose has 90deg bends so that one is available at lmc truck. thanks

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Search through the link below to see if it will help with the hose.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

Look ahead and buy the '87 tank that has baffles for fuel injection and and in-tank pump. AFAIK it works fine with a carburetor, but gives you the option to later add an EFI pump.Bruce

Totally agree. Guessing it will be no more than $10 difference

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Search through the link below to see if it will help with the hose.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/

Totally agree. Guessing it will be no more than $10 difference

thanks I checked and the pic of the 5/8 vent hose is totally different. I dont plan on using efi because I want the stock look outside and under the hood. Wish I would have kept the original 350.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Spectra Premium offers a filler hose so many different part stores can typically access this hose. I looked a lot of different places for the hoses and LMC truck was the lowest cost. Have not received them yet so I cannot speak to the quality but I think that LMC resells the Spectra Premium hose.

David Sons

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Look ahead and buy the '87 tank that has baffles for fuel injection and and in-tank pump. AFAIK it works fine with a carburetor, but gives you the option to later add
what brand of tanks seem to work the best on the aftermarkets, spectra, dorman or?? I understand the fill hose needs replaced and I have a gates fill hose but there is a 90deg formed return hose I believe that I cannot find anywhere other than lmc truck and its 20.00 each. thanks for the help. chuck

I have two ‘87 20 gallon tanks that I ordered wrong. New Spectrum. Sell both for $100 plus shipping. Hope this post is not against the rules. This is my first reply. Enjoy the info!

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Spectra Premium offers a filler hose so many different part stores can typically access this hose. I looked a lot of different places for the hoses and LMC truck was the lowest cost. Have not received them yet so I cannot speak to the quality but I think that LMC resells the Spectra Premium hose.

I didnt see where spectra offers the fill hose and the 5/8" hose w/90deg bends anywhere but lmc. My 20 gal spectra gm1b came usp beat to hell so they have to send me a new one. The gates fill hose I recently got fits the new aftermarket tanks I dont have the number handy but the 5/8" is a lmc only for 20.00 each side.

Chugalugg

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size

the fill hose takes a gates 24716 at amazon for 15.00 each. I tried it on the spectra beat up tank and it fits perfect, you just have to trim both ends as its too long but is a formed 90 deg 1 5/8" I understand that the original is 1 3/4"??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man