1983 not running right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lwalters

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I'm having issues on startup won't turn over on its own and I have to give it tons of gas. I have an edelbrock carb brand new, I'm also having issues with white smoke for about 2 minutes after startup and too much gas will turn it black, also when I go to take off about 5 minutes after startup it will smoke pretty good then stop. Any ideas of what it could be and any easy fixes?

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is is losing water ??
Could be water getting in to a cylinder

Lwalters

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
No everything looks fine on the outside not having an issue with oil or water

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did you have this problem before the new carb went on? What model carb and what make/style manifold is it mounted on? Did you set the floats and choke per the manual before running the engine?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Definitely sounds like a fueling/carb adjustment issue.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
White smoke after cold startup can indicate worn valve guides, and/or old cracked valve stem seals (or o-rings on pre mid-80s engines).

What happens is when the engine sits for a while after running, hot thin oil runs down the valve stem tip onto the back of the valve or into the cylinder. So, at the next start-up, that oil gets burned. Once it's burned, the leak is still there, but only a very small amount of oil leaks down into the cylinder and is rapidly burned off. (As opposed to having it drip into the cylinder for several hours after shut-off).

However, when I've seen this problem, the smoke usually lasts for only 10 seconds or so until all the oil is burned and cleared out of the combustion chamber. But I guess 2 minutes worth of smoke could indicate a really worn valve guide that lets a lot of oil drip down into the cylinder after the engine has been run and shut down. Or maybe, a large amount of valve stem clearance gets tighter as the engine heats up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising