1982-style Chevy 3-point safety belts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
Please see the included photo, which shows the original driver's-side safety belt in my 1982 Chevy C10 pickup. I'm wondering why I can't find anything like this kind of safety-belt system in all of my many searches for a replacement. The system overall is OK, but the shoulder belt is very frayed. I seem to find only generic-type or very different belts and retractors from safety belt vendors, like LMC Truck. If I can't find a matching system — with straps in tan — I suppose I can pay a service (https://www.safetyrestore.com/webbing-replacement) to replace the belt webbing.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You will not find new parts for that belt system. That system has the buckle release, that can release, in an accident. GM had many lawsuits over that buckle.

Want to try a very convincing trick? Remove the center seat belt from your truck. Buckle it together and shorten it up some. Holding the two metal floor mounts, one in each hand, slap the belt on your leg, button side up. On impact to your leg the spring loaded release button will sink in and the belt will release. Supposedly this can, and has happened in a severe accident.

Note, remove keys, pocket knife etc. from your pocket before trying this.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I only remember the seatbelt recall involving the GM buckles with the red plastic button. The plastic faded and became brittle after just a few years. It was used in some cars and I think Astro vans too.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I can only say, try my test with your '81 or '82 belt. It will surprise you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can only say, try my test with your '81 or '82 belt. It will surprise you.

Was there a recall? I've got '82 belts in my K5, but it's bucket seats so I can't test a center belt.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I think any gmt400 truck seatbelt will work with that buckle.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Was there a recall? I've got '82 belts in my K5, but it's bucket seats so I can't test a center belt.

No recall for these belts. Way too many made. GM either fought or settled the law suits. Much cheaper than replacing all the belts. There were not as many failures reported as in the 2014 recall.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, GM first series of belt buckles "A" started in the 1960's with wider webbing. These even carried over into the early 1970's. My 1974 K5 had them. They were replaced by the "B" series sometime and my 1981 and 1982 each had that buckle style. This "B" series GM used in everything being built for some years to come. Somewhere around 1995 the belt issue was in the news and stemmed seat belt standards.

You could test any of this style with the same result. Your 3 point shoulder belt has the same buckle, just more trouble to remove and try the test.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The recall I'm remembering was probably around '95. It included all the buckles used in the '84-'92 F-bodies and other cars that used those buckles I believe. The red button ones. I've got about 10 of the original GM 'repair kits' that were used to fix the buckles under the recall. The '82-'83 F-body used a buckle that was similar in design to the '81-'82 truck buckles.

I'm real curious now, I had thought there was only the one design that had troubles.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Sorry, long read. They all knew these buckles could unlatch. They call it "inertia unlatching"

During their representation of seat belt buckle unlatching victims and their families, BISNAR CHASE auto defect attorneys have gathered hundreds of thousands of documents and taken scores of depositions of industry personnel which has revealed that Ford and GM were well aware that false latching and inertial unlatching were leading to hundreds if not thousands of deaths and serious injuries which the auto industry has been suppressing from the public for years.

We discovered that Ford and TRW VSSI misrepresented the actual numbers of seat belt buckle unlatching claims they were aware of to the U.S. Government in their written responses to the 1992 NHTSA rulemaking petition.

Specifically, Ford represented to NHTSA that it knew of only 56 responsive claims or incidents involving such seat belt buckle unlatching.

In truth, however, at that time Ford had 1,406 such claims files in its possession in its Office of General Counsel the contents of which it refused to disclose, citing attorney client privilege. Additional records obtained in litigation by our attorneys revealed that Ford had found an additional 3,100 claims of inadvertent unlatching made through its dealers and customer service departments.

None of these 4,506 claims, incidents, accidents and lawsuits were reported to NHTSA. In a recent buckle unlatching trial against Ford, Ford's senior management personnel finally admitted under oath that they had under reported the actual number of claims of known seat belt buckle unlatching in 1992 to NHTSA in response to the rulemaking petition.

GM's conduct appears to have been even more egregious. In its response to the 1992 NHTSA rulemaking petition, GM enclosed test research which claimed that actual laboratory testing it commissioned had proven that inertial unlatching was a practical impossibility. NHTSA relied heavily on these representations by GM in denying the rulemaking petition.

For years, personal injury lawyers handling unlatching cases have been trying unsuccessfully to secure allegedly privileged secret documents and testimony from the very laboratory used by GM to determine the truthfulness of the laboratory's testing and conclusions relied upon by the auto industry. In every instance, GM successfully argued that such research was "privileged" and not subject to disclosure.

Recently, however, after years of litigation, motions and appeals, our lawyers in conjunction with several other law firms throughout the nation, have been given the green light by court order to demand production by the test laboratory of these test documents and to take the depositions of these key laboratory test personnel.

Initial information produced pursuant to the Court's order has so far reveal that the test laboratory likely falsified and suppressed its initial research which did in fact reveal that the forces necessary to produce inertial unlatching was possible in real world accidents. As a result of these disclosures, our lawyers expect that its future seat belt buckle unlatching clients may be able to expect larger settlements and higher punitive damages awards at trial on their claims.

And this is why I stated, "Do the test, see for yourself." I can also tell you I never received a recall notice for '82. I did receive the $1000 exploding fuel tank waiver.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My seatbelts are that system(1980) and it works and looks fine. But I need a seatbelt, so sorry. Let me check my parts truck tomorrow if it still has them(sometime in the 1980s, very very special cab. has a sunroof. soundsystem in headliner. etc. Chevy cheyanne with loads. bucket seats) If it has belts, if they are tan, and if its good

Brownie82C10

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy C10
Engine Size
4.1L Inline 6
Thanks to all for your comments. I bought this truck used in the summer of 1999, and this is the first I'm hearing about a seat-belt system recall. I've never had any problems with this latch system, but, then again, I've never been in a high-impact accident in this truck — just a couple of bumps from the rear. I do have the replacement aftermarket belt from LMC Truck, but I think I'll just have this webbing redone — if it's not prohibited by any terms resulting from some kind of legal or regulatory action. I'll post a picture of the buckle latches at the first opportunity. Some might find that interesting.

Last edited:

nabeshin

functioning lunatic
Reaction score
First Name
Grae
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Latest posts

Forum statistics