1980 cab swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backroad40

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a 1980 that I just purchased to restore with my son. The cab is rough, I have access to a cab from a 1985 that is rust free. Will this swap work or do I keep looking for a 1977-1980 cab. Its my understanding somewhat major changes were made for 1981. Thanks!

cscammon

Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I think the only thing you will have to do is cover up the hood hinges on the cowl. Floor pan is different between the manual trans and or 4x4 vs 2wd trucks. You can cut them out and change them, but its just another step. Wiring may or may not be the same. I changed one a few months ago between a 86 and an 87. Big job, but doable. Good luck.

Tranz Zam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LM7 5.3
I have an 87 cab on my 73. Its no big deal.

Make sure that you get as much as you can when you get the new cab. For me, I went from non A/C to a factory A/C cab. I needed to track down the A/C box that mounts to the firewall because the new cab didn't have it.

2wd automatic cabs will have the smaller hump in the floor. You can cut out and bolt in the high hump from the 4x4 cab, which is exactly what I did.

The dash harness in the new cab will hook up fine with the 1980 engine and light harness. You'll probably have to sawzall out the cab bolts, but new bolts are a wise choice anyways. I got mine right from Home Depot, Grade 8.

These cabs are heavy! Even when stripped with no glass, interior, or wiring, the have some serious weight to them. It'll take a few guys to pick it up onto the chassis!

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I did this same thing to my '86. Exactly the same with the tranny tunnel. Another of the differences will be the wipers/brightlight switch will be on the turn signal switch. That is if the new cab comes with the steering column. I used an engine hoist with a heavy ratchet strap to raise and lower mine. I built a raised platform on wheels to rest the cabs on. Good luck and hope you have an extra body around to help. Always helps to have extra eyes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris