1978 Vent window whistle noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
That's like a pod of gayness for the road! Even more so than the old standby, the Prius.

Tell me about it. That’s GM’s EV1, their first foray into fully electric vehicles.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks 1986 GMC Jimmy: It was a breath of fresh air reading your comment! Such a pleasure sharing with someone that is able to communicate! The latches were loose! My mod #9,987 was able to remove all of it and then some, That made them even more snug against the seals to no avail!! Thanks for the input.

Olnick

Haha, my dad was actually 1986 GMC Jimmy (his really was an ‘86). You can call me 1987.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
That’s GM’s EV1, their first foray into fully electric vehicles.

I had a co worker of mine that was one of the original citizen testers for the EV-1. He stumped the engineers by going almost 90 MPH in the car that was governed at 75. He had to explain to them he full accelerated just before cresting a large hill. He was able to get the top speed when going down grade.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
In all fairness, most of the local yokels I talk to don’t understand what I say anyway, but I swear that’s how I normally talk.

Screw 'em. I understand you just fine.

You can wipe the seals with CRC 5-56. Do this every day for about a week. It'll stop whistling. It helps soften them up.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had a co worker of mine that was one of the original citizen testers for the EV-1. He stumped the engineers by going almost 90 MPH in the car that was governed at 75. He had to explain to them he full accelerated just before cresting a large hill. He was able to get the top speed when going down grade.

Those cars were lease-only from what I remember. I also never saw one on the road. I think I read somewhere that GM got them all back and scrapped them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Those cars were lease-only from what I remember. I also never saw one on the road. I think I read somewhere that GM got them all back and scrapped them.

You’re correct. I think a few survive in museums, but I don’t think any of them can move under their own power. I can’t remember, but I think GM fixed them so they couldn’t be used.

lcfman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Looks like this post has been high jacked with not much substance. Hope there will be more helpful posts to an inherit problem with these great old trucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like this post has been high jacked with not much substance. Hope there will be more helpful posts to an inherit problem with these great old trucks.

It happens sometimes, lol. Being a tech thread, it will likely get cleaned up later, or right away if the original poster requests it.

I guess I've had better luck with my vent windows. My only noisy ones have had worn/broken latch knobs, or the lower pivot post was broken off.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I made a solution that needs some refinement but the premise worked well.

I made this not to cut the whistle but to get my truck inspected and receive plates. I bought the truck with shaved mirrors which would not pass inspection to receive plates.

These are RAM product motor cycle mirrors. Keeps the cops off my back without bolting something permanent until I find what I want.

The Ram ball is threaded and goes through the hole in the glass. Made a spacer the glass thickness and used rubber washers between the spacer and stainless steel washers.

Inside is a piece of aluminum tubing that has round edges. Inside has the same washers and a lock nut.

You can then adjust the tightness with the lock nut until the whistling stops.

Instead of the RAM ball use a chrome carriage head bolt and adjust the washers and spacer accordingly.

I liked it because I can also mount a Go Pro if I want.

This was thrown together quickly. I was thinking I could CNC a nice handle that looks better.

My seals are shot and cranking them down sealed them completely.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra