1977 C10 Police Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I know a dude that bought an old police interceptor Crown Vic at a state police auction (when they were still the current vehicle cops drove). It didn't have flashing lights and was one solid color, but it still had the push bar and the lamp on the a-pillar. He would get harassed by town cops once in a while who had nothing better to do but pull him over and ask questions about why he was driving something that so closely resembled a state police vehicle. His answer was always the same "What is the problem? The state police sold this car to me with this equipment attached full well knowing I am a civilian. If they don't have a problem with me driving it, neither should you. I haven't broken any laws, I'm gonna leave now".

Even though I understand what you're saying, you underestimate just how much of ball busters some cops can be when they have nothing better to do. Personally I wouldn't want to give them ANY reason to bug me, even if it seems like common sense to most people.
I agree to an extent, but they're just power tripping if that's what they're worried about. I don't underestimate cops in the least, most of em around here are decent, but I've had my fair share of encounters that rubbed me the wrong way. I've had nothing more than a speeding ticket and no criminal record, I live in a smaller town so the cops are very bored, and my vehicles are modified.. don't get me wrong though, most are good good cops and polite.

I don't want cops bugging me either, but if you don't break any laws and aren't being a criminal, then you're not the bad guy, they are, especially if they come off as ******** about it. They can have a civil conversation about why the truck is like that. Especially if you have a clean driving and criminal record.

I also highly doubt the op plans to daily drive something like this. So even more of a reason not to care. Just like in my neck of the woods there are lift laws, mudflap, tire stickout, exhaust ect, but 99% of the time no one gets bothered for it.

Maybe somewhere like California, wouldn't be the smartest place to do it. But still in the end probably not a daily, and nothing more than a little harassment from some cops.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
What does @Craig 85 have to say about this?? He's an Ex California State Police Officer......

He responded a couple pages back already.
In California you can't drive a look alike police vehicle at all and it doesn't even have to have logos on it. I gave numerous citations for it over the years, one was a Pinto wagon. The Highway Patrol will repaint vehicles before they go to auction or at least paint the white doors black. The only ones that hit the streets still black and white are non-runners.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Space Patrol, Lunar Landing Authority. Heck if you don't live in a huge city, you might stop by the local PoPo business and just ask them. "I was thinking about doing a cool paint scheme to honor the amazing stuff you guys do to protect the people who employ you and was wondering if you have any ideas and what you feel is acceptable."

Couldn't hurt to ask.

Plus, if you get on their good side they have really interesting stories. I got to be my own Detective for a day, worked with undercover to solve my own stolen truck case, the three undercover cops said it was the most fun day they have ever had being a cop. I caught the guy who stole my truck with only 4 clues to work with, in less than 12 hours. The officers got kind of quiet after and asked if they could talk with me privately. They had me wondering what was going on when the took me into a big closet where they store their SWAT gear. I asked what was up and they said they just wanted to thank me, I was confused and had to ask, why? They informed me that this is not how police work happens, they said police NEVER get to take a case, work the case, arrest the perp, recover the property and complete the case in one day, including all the paperwork. I spent hours doing the paperwork requested of me to document how I did what I did. I only got half of my stolen parts back, but getting to be the lead detective on my own case for a day made for a much better story

Last edited:

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
In California you can't drive a look alike police vehicle at all and it doesn't even have to have logos on it. I gave numerous citations for it over the years, one was a Pinto wagon. The Highway Patrol will repaint vehicles before they go to auction or at least paint the white doors black. The only ones that hit the streets still black and white are non-runners.
Pleeeenty of black n white crown Vic’s from retired police in my area.
**** there are a lot of security guards also driving black n white cars with badging.
So I dunno about y’all chp guys pulling over black n whites but my local doesn’t. And we aren’t a small town.

On a slightly related note, I have been pulled over for a blue windshield on a motorcycle.
Coo said I could be impersonating an officer.
Changed it to a clear, got it written off and slapped the blue back on.
Bike was a 1990 Gsxr1100.
Same as mentioned above, like anyone is gunna be impersonating a coo on old stuff lol.

I dunno as I mentioned earlier. I’d def do it and deal with cry baby cops later.

I feel my wife’s 2018 Chevrolet Traverse looks more like a cop then an ole pickemup truck.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For the record. I appreciate cops and the service they provide. Citations for piddly stuff like that would drive me nuts.
Granted I do see the necessity for the law, because there is some weirdo out there who will pull people over and harass strangers or assault women.
But at the same time I prefer it to be the officers best judgment.
For example context matters.
A retired police vehicle cruising down the street at 1 am, going aprox 5 MPH is a different story than a square body doing 70 ina 70 on its way to work.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
For the record. I appreciate cops and the service they provide. Citations for piddly stuff like that would drive me nuts.
Granted I do see the necessity for the law, because there is some weirdo out there who will pull people over and harass strangers or assault women.
But at the same time I prefer it to be the officers best judgment.
For example context matters.
A retired police vehicle cruising down the street at 1 am, going aprox 5 MPH is a different story than a square body doing 70 ina 70 on its way to work.
Agreed.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Pleeeenty of black n white crown Vic’s from retired police in my area.
**** there are a lot of security guards also driving black n white cars with badging.
So I dunno about y’all chp guys pulling over black n whites but my local doesn’t. And we aren’t a small town.

On a slightly related note, I have been pulled over for a blue windshield on a motorcycle.
Coo said I could be impersonating an officer.
Changed it to a clear, got it written off and slapped the blue back on.
Bike was a 1990 Gsxr1100.
Same as mentioned above, like anyone is gunna be impersonating a coo on old stuff lol.

I dunno as I mentioned earlier. I’d def do it and deal with cry baby cops later.

I feel my wife’s 2018 Chevrolet Traverse looks more like a cop then an ole pickemup truck.
Lol and what cop rides a GSX-R too? Yet they still messed with you over that though.
Heck, I've got a blue windshield on my '05 GSX-R750, didn't even know that was a thing, remind me never to ride it in Cali lol.

But my point exactly, you say "do it and deal with crybaby cops later", idk about you, but there is no "dealing with" anything a cop does where I'm from, they ALWAYS get their way.

I remember once when I was in the process of moving from CT to NH, my registration and driver's license were already switched to the new address in NH but was still spending a lot of time in CT finishing up a job and slowly moving stuff while I renovated the new house. There was a well known speed trap in my town where the resident state trooper would hang out at the public works garage (where they park the snow plows and repair the fire trucks and sh!t) as it was at the bottom of a big hill on a long straight section of S Main st, between two highway exits (small town of roughly 4k, we only had one main exit in the center of town, and then one near the town line at opposite ends of town that went only in the direction coming from and going out of town so you couldn't hop on the highway and cut across town, like I said real small town) so if someone who wasn't local got off in the center of town for gas and was headed back out of town didn't realize the speed limit was only 30 in a spot that looked like it should be 50, bam free money for the staties. So here I am with out of state plates in my flashy little red Mitsubishi (was the first cheap car I could find to get around in when my truck died) and I get pulled over when I KNOW I wasn't speeding.

Dude said he got me on radar doing 53 in a 30. I said bullsh!t let me see the radar, I grew up in this town and have lived here on and off most of my adult life (told him what streets I lived on and named one of the the local cops I lived two doors down from as a teenager), said I wasn't dumb enough to speed on either side of Main st because obviously I knew someone would be running radar there, and named a couple other spots I know they routinely hang out in. He said he already cleared the radar but oh hey while we're at it, New Hampshire plates, huh? Let me see proof of insurance (insurance is not required up here, lots of people with vacation homes will register their seldom used vehicles up here to get around having to pay for insurance in CT where it is required) so I showed him my insurance card. Then he says my exhaust is kind of loud, and I said yeah well it's completely stock he's free to look underneath. He said he didn't need to waste his time because it's my word against his so I literally told him to suck it at that point because he's reaching pretty far on this one and it's pitiful so he laughs and goes back to his car.

I'm thinking whatever a fix-it ticket (leaky muffler, broken windshield, burned out tail light, etc) is usually like $40, even though I didn't do anything I might have to just cough it up to be done with it. He comes back with a $275 ticket for some charge I never heard of, dude literally must've gone back to the car and looked up the most expensive exhaust related ticket he could find just to stick it to me.

So I go home and look up the statute number I violated, it was some obscure law about "said vehicle produced more than XX decibels, measured on calibrated equipment 50' away from the centerline of the vehicle, etc etc" like the sort of thing that happens when you get sent to inspections, or when they pull over a group of Harleys on bike week and noise check them. Obviously none of that happened so I printed out the law out to bring to court with me. Now, CT makes a lot of money on the zillions of traffic tickets they write, and there are only a small handful of courts in the entire state that deal with state traffic offenses so usually the court date ends up being like 6+ months out if you plead not guilty and by then I was already fully moved out of state, over 3 hours away.

I get to court, showed the prosecutor the statute I printed and calmly but bluntly explain that it was a roadside stop and there was no way he could have issued such a ticket at a random traffic stop (cop who issued the ticket does not show up to court in CT). I asked if there was any proof of what decibel reading my vehicle produced or any calibration records for any sound equipment used, showed pictures of the stock exhaust, etc. Slam dunk in my mind. She literally said "I don't care about any of that. He also wrote on the back of the ticket that you were speeding and you made a rude comment to him, you're lucky he didn't write you a speeding ticket too. Either pay the noise ticket, or I'll tack on a speed charge too, is that what you want?" Then with a fcuking smirk on her face says "Or you can take it to trial if you want where you might win, but if not you will have to pay this and I will be sure you also face the speeding charge, and being an officer's word against yours I guarantee you will not win that one. Oh and don't forget court fees if you lose. I see you live two states away, do you usually get weekdays off of work or did you have to take today off? Sounds like coming all the way back down here will get pretty expensive for you, if you're smart you'll just pay today and be on your way". Oh man I fcuking lost it at this b!tch, I could not believe she could get away with spewing that crap in a court of law. A bailiff had to 'guide' me out of the court, came this close to getting arrested that day, honestly can't believe I didn't. Should've friggin spit in her face.

Man I still see red just thinking about it. Now that I think back, I should've taken it to trial, gotten a lawyer and won. Then I should've sued to get my money back and whatever else BS because they were clearly abusing the law and freakin gloating about it! But still I would've never won that one. How the hell does your average guy sue the state and win? You just don't. And I'm white, was young and clean cut and presentable back then, wasn't all bearded and and unhealthy scraggly grey haired white trash lookin sh!t like I am now, and they still fcuked with me. I can only imagine how they treat dudes from the inner city in their lowered cars that don't even have the decency to show up in court without sweat pants and a ball cap on.

So yeah long story short, I don't do stuff to make cops bust my balls because I know there is no way to "deal with them later". Always guilty until proven innocent, in the northeast at least. ANY interaction with the cops is an excuse for them to make bullsh!t up and power trip and try to screw money out of you. I could go on about all the straight up crooked crap I've had pulled on me by cops, but I don't need to give myself a freaking aneurysm. I avoid dealing with them at all costs. If my vehicle is fast enough to run, I get out of there ain't nobody got time for that. If not, I make sure it appears legal as can be I don't mess around with anything that can get me pulled over for stupid reasons. I laugh when I see people with illegal tints, those dumb lowered cars that the wheels stick out sideways, colored headlights, etc. Have fun with your impounded car and or court date. Big ole no thanks for me...

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol and what cop rides a GSX-R too? Yet they still messed with you over that though.
Heck, I've got a blue windshield on my '05 GSX-R750, didn't even know that was a thing, remind me never to ride it in Cali lol.

But my point exactly, you say "do it and deal with crybaby cops later", idk about you, but there is no "dealing with" anything a cop does where I'm from, they ALWAYS get their way.

I remember once when I was in the process of moving from CT to NH, my registration and driver's license were already switched to the new address in NH but was still spending a lot of time in CT finishing up a job and slowly moving stuff while I renovated the new house. There was a well known speed trap in my town where the resident state trooper would hang out at the public works garage (where they park the snow plows and repair the fire trucks and sh!t) as it was at the bottom of a big hill on a long straight section of S Main st, between two highway exits (small town of roughly 4k, we only had one main exit in the center of town, and then one near the town line at opposite ends of town that went only in the direction coming from and going out of town so you couldn't hop on the highway and cut across town, like I said real small town) so if someone who wasn't local got off in the center of town for gas and was headed back out of town didn't realize the speed limit was only 30 in a spot that looked like it should be 50, bam free money for the staties. So here I am with out of state plates in my flashy little red Mitsubishi (was the first cheap car I could find to get around in when my truck died) and I get pulled over when I KNOW I wasn't speeding.

Dude said he got me on radar doing 53 in a 30. I said bullsh!t let me see the radar, I grew up in this town and have lived here on and off most of my adult life (told him what streets I lived on and named one of the the local cops I lived two doors down from as a teenager), said I wasn't dumb enough to speed on either side of Main st because obviously I knew someone would be running radar there, and named a couple other spots I know they routinely hang out in. He said he already cleared the radar but oh hey while we're at it, New Hampshire plates, huh? Let me see proof of insurance (insurance is not required up here, lots of people with vacation homes will register their seldom used vehicles up here to get around having to pay for insurance in CT where it is required) so I showed him my insurance card. Then he says my exhaust is kind of loud, and I said yeah well it's completely stock he's free to look underneath. He said he didn't need to waste his time because it's my word against his so I literally told him to suck it at that point because he's reaching pretty far on this one and it's pitiful so he laughs and goes back to his car.

I'm thinking whatever a fix-it ticket (leaky muffler, broken windshield, burned out tail light, etc) is usually like $40, even though I didn't do anything I might have to just cough it up to be done with it. He comes back with a $275 ticket for some charge I never heard of, dude literally must've gone back to the car and looked up the most expensive exhaust related ticket he could find just to stick it to me.

So I go home and look up the statute number I violated, it was some obscure law about "said vehicle produced more than XX decibels, measured on calibrated equipment 50' away from the centerline of the vehicle, etc etc" like the sort of thing that happens when you get sent to inspections, or when they pull over a group of Harleys on bike week and noise check them. Obviously none of that happened so I printed out the law out to bring to court with me. Now, CT makes a lot of money on the zillions of traffic tickets they write, and there are only a small handful of courts in the entire state that deal with state traffic offenses so usually the court date ends up being like 6+ months out if you plead not guilty and by then I was already fully moved out of state, over 3 hours away.

I get to court, showed the prosecutor the statute I printed and calmly but bluntly explain that it was a roadside stop and there was no way he could have issued such a ticket at a random traffic stop (cop who issued the ticket does not show up to court in CT). I asked if there was any proof of what decibel reading my vehicle produced or any calibration records for any sound equipment used, showed pictures of the stock exhaust, etc. Slam dunk in my mind. She literally said "I don't care about any of that. He also wrote on the back of the ticket that you were speeding and you made a rude comment to him, you're lucky he didn't write you a speeding ticket too. Either pay the noise ticket, or I'll tack on a speed charge too, is that what you want?" Then with a fcuking smirk on her face says "Or you can take it to trial if you want where you might win, but if not you will have to pay this and I will be sure you also face the speeding charge, and being an officer's word against yours I guarantee you will not win that one. Oh and don't forget court fees if you lose. I see you live two states away, do you usually get weekdays off of work or did you have to take today off? Sounds like coming all the way back down here will get pretty expensive for you, if you're smart you'll just pay today and be on your way". Oh man I fcuking lost it at this b!tch, I could not believe she could get away with spewing that crap in a court of law. A bailiff had to 'guide' me out of the court, came this close to getting arrested that day, honestly can't believe I didn't. Should've friggin spit in her face.

Man I still see red just thinking about it. Now that I think back, I should've taken it to trial, gotten a lawyer and won. Then I should've sued to get my money back and whatever else BS because they were clearly abusing the law and freakin gloating about it! But still I would've never won that one. How the hell does your average guy sue the state and win? You just don't. And I'm white, was young and clean cut and presentable back then, wasn't all bearded and and unhealthy scraggly grey haired white trash lookin sh!t like I am now, and they still fcuked with me. I can only imagine how they treat dudes from the inner city in their lowered cars that don't even have the decency to show up in court without sweat pants and a ball cap on.

So yeah long story short, I don't do stuff to make cops bust my balls because I know there is no way to "deal with them later". Always guilty until proven innocent, in the northeast at least. ANY interaction with the cops is an excuse for them to make bullsh!t up and power trip and try to screw money out of you. I could go on about all the straight up crooked crap I've had pulled on me by cops, but I don't need to give myself a freaking aneurysm. I avoid dealing with them at all costs. If my vehicle is fast enough to run, I get out of there ain't nobody got time for that. If not, I make sure it appears legal as can be I don't mess around with anything that can get me pulled over for stupid reasons. I laugh when I see people with illegal tints, those dumb lowered cars that the wheels stick out sideways, colored headlights, etc. Have fun with your impounded car and or court date. Big ole no thanks for me...
This is the type thing I'm trying to not have someone go through, cause yes it happens even to us that are law abiding band have no Mal intent.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I actually read your whole story and I don’t usually do that. Lol.
I had an experience real early on with an officer going above and beyond to make my routine stop miserable.
I didn’t fight it, I paid. Figured I break plenty of those laws can afford to pay this one. (maybe a little over speed here n there, rolled an occasional stop sign or a little burn out here n there.)

However it lead me to volunteer for my local PD for about 5 years.
I still don’t name drop when pulled over but typically know what to say to make pleasant conversation to prove I’m not a d ball.
However, some kids on the power trip get the ear full from me. **** I wrinkled up a ticked once and tossed it over my shoulder while looking him in the eyes and saying swish. LOL.
I paid that one too, cuz I knew it was game over.
I think it was for mud flaps or lack thereof lol. (IMO truck reeeeally didn’t need em)
Pick n choose em my man. But to each their own. I don’t intentionally break the law, my trucks and bikes aren’t even close to being douchie, I don’t like it.
But when an officer gets bored and picks me as his time killer, we’re all having fun.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Also I’m rebuilding an 08 750
Dude blew the tire off and destroyed the whole tail, wiring harness got ripped out, and ecu ejected. All kinds of fun stuff.

Attachments

• 4A4E4B0A-463F-40AF-8496-E534CFE9CA3C.jpeg
    4A4E4B0A-463F-40AF-8496-E534CFE9CA3C.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 898CFD9A-CED9-4182-9238-B56DEB7557AE.jpeg
    898CFD9A-CED9-4182-9238-B56DEB7557AE.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 72
  • D86D8EFE-7163-422B-AF17-94B87F067BEA.jpeg
    D86D8EFE-7163-422B-AF17-94B87F067BEA.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 3427E397-BB99-498D-8901-A626CA862670.jpeg
    3427E397-BB99-498D-8901-A626CA862670.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 58

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I stand corrected. All the Crown Vic’s I’ve seen running around with white doors must’ve left auction not running or been from a department that sent them out after simply removing the logos.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I stand corrected. All the Crown Vic’s I’ve seen running around with white doors must’ve left auction not running or been from a department that sent them out after simply removing the logos.
I don't think it's just paint alone that would get you have n trouble but once lights and decals to mimic or even say police is where I would start getting uneasy. Cause yes your right there plenty of paint jobs right out of service and there often complete with push at and spotlight on the side.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought an '89 GMC Jimmy (Squarebody) off of San Bernadino Sheriffs Department with Lake Elsinore Patrol markings as well. It came with the Unity Spotlight, Roof Lights, Gun Rack, and a glovebox full of speedometer calibration slips. The wigwag system was in place but one wire cut. The dept. simply painted a black X over the door logo. It wasn't painted the traditional police way with different color doors. Instead it was White with black painted like a traditional 3-tone squarebody paint job. I repainted it pretty much right away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii