1976 Former Ambulance/Sheriff C30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Nice score. Too bad the bucket seats are no longer in it. Is the tach part of the hand throttle system?

The Tach is just a summit branded piece the owner slapped on there, would be cool though!

More pics of that center cup holder thing! I love the color! And the mirrors!
Extremely envious.

For sure! When it gets light out here I'll send some. It looks almost like the Ambulance company installed the cup holders as the siren is bolted onto it.

Holy crap that thing is awesome! Love the dual pillar spotlights.

Thanks! The passenger side one has a red lens on it.

Is the factory hand throttle control still in place? I always wondered what that setup looked like.

The hand throttle is still there, it is under the dash marked throttle. A quick glance I thought it was a manual choke:D I have not tried it but I will let you know if it is still hooked up.

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Interesting rig. Surprised this was allowed to be sold with all those blue lights still on it.

Here in Texas blue lights are a grey area, I know over west they will smash the light as soon as they see it. The owner told me he never had a problem but I have no use for a light bar so I may just stow it. Also, the light bar up top was originally I believe red and blue before being swapped out is what the owner told me. All the lights including the side markers and big square lights were stuff he took off the ambulance body and onto the flatbed.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Hand throttle? Please elaborate on this throttling.

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hand throttle? Please elaborate on this throttling.
I believe it was a method for specifically work trucks to control the throttle without pressing the pedal. I’m sure more experienced users can chime in.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I think most hand throttle applications were on 4 spd manual transmissions to keep the engine rpms up while using a PTO for whatever reason(winch etc.)

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Just checked out the hand throttle and it does work, at idle it raises my RPM as you pull it out.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
as far down as that hand throttle is I'm not sure what it's purpose is LOL Can someone explain that has some experience?

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It's to manually raise the idle when running pto-opperated pumps and such. It's not used while actually driving the truck, normally.
Makeshift cruise control? Lol probably a bad idea but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been done before.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 78 has one, I have no idea why, no PTO or anything. It is a 4 speed manual. I use it to warm up the truck on cold days since there isn't a choke on the truck.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
as far down as that hand throttle is I'm not sure what it's purpose is LOL Can someone explain that has some experience?

I started working in law enforcement in the late 80's. The light bars back then where all incandescent bulbs. They drew a lot of voltage with everything on (Light bar, Spot lights, Wig-wags, A/C, etc). Even though we had high amp alternators from the factory, they couldn't really keep up with the demand for a long period of time like being at a major crime scene or collision. You would often see often see the lights dimming and rotating slower. Occasionally the vehicles would die and would would have to jump start them.

I would assume with the ambulance package they used this when parked at a scene. They have more equipment running than a patrol car, plus dual A/C systems.

My 1989 Caprice

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I started working in law enforcement in the late 80's. The light bars back then where all incandescent bulbs. They drew a lot of voltage with everything on (Light bar, Spot lights, Wig-wags, A/C, etc). Even though we had high amp alternators from the factory, they couldn't really keep up with the demand for a long period of time like being at a major crime scene or collision. You would often see often see the lights dimming and rotating slower. Occasionally the vehicles would die and would would have to jump start them.

I would assume with the ambulance package they used this when parked at a scene. They have more equipment running than a patrol car, plus dual A/C systems.

My 1989 Caprice

Back when it was easy to spot a patrol car from a distance on a dark night. The headlights gave it away every time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara