1973 Monte Carlo Very Rare Factory Sunroof - $6,500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
I had never seen or heard of a factory sunroof on a Monte Carlo of that year. Does not look rusted out for bein in Chacago.

I found it interesting. Did very little research on them and seems they came with the 454 in them.

You must be registered for see images attach

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doesn't say 454 but they were available. Can't see a window crank so likely PW as well. These were all over the place during that time period. GM sold a lot of them. I used one up auto racing. They had very little value other than scrap. Would think a sunroof would be somewhat rare.

I drove a loaded 74 454 El Camino for 10 years, similar basic frame. Unfortunately rust got to it so it had to go away. Even though motor was an asthmatic emission LS4, torque was unreal. Lots of fun.

Dryriver1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
1984, 1999,
Truck Model
1984 Chevy Silverado K10, 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe 4x4
Engine Size
350 cid, 5.7
Doesn't say 454 but they were available. Can't see a window crank so likely PW as well. These were all over the place during that time period. GM sold a lot of them. I used one up auto racing. They had very little value other than scrap. Would think a sunroof would be somewhat rare.

I drove a loaded 74 454 El Camino for 10 years, similar basic frame. Unfortunately rust got to it so it had to go away. Even though motor was an asthmatic emission LS4, torque was unreal. Lots of fun.

I tried a brief search, but could not find out how many were produced with the sun roof in 1974.

Bet that El Camino was prettttty Fasssst with the 454 and being so light.... "Lots of fun." lol

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Yep. We had one in '73.

Normally dad ordered all his vehicles but he was passing by Applegate Chevrolet in Flint and they had one sitting out.

Maroon, no vinyl, rally wheels, black and gray herringbone weave interior with swivel buckets and the rally cluster. Bought it on the spot.

Turns out it was demon possessed. It must have had a 1:1 rear axle ratio because it would barely power itself up the driveway. Mom kept hooking that big front end on the side of the garage, so about the time we'd get one side fixed she'd hook the other. Finally it got T boned at an intersection and that was that.

When dad ordered the Chevelle he wanted the same interior and that's what he got.

So -basically - if we hadn't got that Monte Carlo my Chevelle would be a '73 SS. :(

K

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Raced a friend once with the 454. He had a 78 G body El camino with a slightly warmed over 350. G bodies are much lighter. The 74 and 78 were almost even speed wise. During that period there was a heater box kit available to install a 454 in a G body. Never got around to doing it but that would have been an interesting combination.

JBswth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
292 cubic inches
I had never seen or heard of a factory sunroof on a Monte Carlo of that year. Does not look rusted out for bein in Chacago.

I found it interesting. Did very little research on them and seems they came with the 454 in them.

Sweet! My dream 73 Monte Carlo is a 3 speed manual car. I think that was the only year it was offered with a 3 speed. Must be as rare as a hen's tooth.

J.B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly