1973 Blazer SBC 350 - Need thoughts on exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To each their own, I'm not one to knock another man's personal preference. But out of curiosity, what don't you like about headers? The way they look or something? I understand someone liking flowmasters over glasspacks or 2.5" over 3" etc, but I can't figure what's not to like about headers? As I said, not trying to start something, really just want to hear what you don't like about them, maybe there's something I never thought of (besides maybe not being smog compliant, but **** all that lol).

Also, for the record I don't have headers on my truck so I'm not trying to defend them or anything. Hah I didn't want to waste the money when I have so many more important things to work on first, but I definitely plan to get some when I build the new engine
I've had headers thru the years, beside lossening bolts,frequent burned out gaskets,and rust and heat....what's not to like about headers.Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've had headers thru the years, beside lossening bolts,frequent burned out gaskets,and rust and heat....what's not to like about headers.Lol

Rust is certainly a legit gripe. As far as the other stuff goes, good quality gaskets make the difference. Once the bolts are torqued down the second time (after several heat cycles) then everything stays put for years to come with no leaks. Until they rust out and you have to do it all over again, lol.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Factory manifolds...install'em and forget'em. When I run across a square body with headers and/ or a Holley I move on.Unless I'm buying it for the tranny or body parts.I have a 13 Ram truck and folks are always talking about putting headers on theirs.It's okay if that is what one wants to do but I retired from header use and installs so never again. Now on my chevy I wouldnt mind a set of ramhorn exhaust manifolds. To me headers and what you get out of them is no longer worth it but I'm a grouchy old dude now and a bit lazy.lol. For me 2.5"pipes/flowmasters and duals are good enough for a old slow mid 1970s 350 engine.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Eddie,you've never seen a cracked sbc manifold?? It's hard to forget til they get warmed up...LOL
Ive owned around fifty cars and trucks and never had a cracked one but it can happen. Still rather have a cracked manifold than a leaking,rusted burned out overpriced header! Cant make me love the headers! Lol

Kyle K

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy Blazer K5
Engine Size
Thanks for all the input folks, helped me out. Good discussion. Will update you on progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trchno