1946 Chevy 2 ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
We need more pictures of the '42 pickup
I’ll definitely get some more pics of that up for you guys! She’s a real beauty
The transmission that would have originally came in that truck would have been a 4 speed 'crashbox,' which predated the SM420 used in the 48-67 trucks, unlike a SM420 (and 465) all 4 gears are not synchronized and there is a thumb lift for the reverse lockout (where a 420 and 465 does not have any lockout).

The rear axle has a high ratio of 6.03:1 and a low range of 7.99:1

I was curious as to what that thumb lift was... this is some very good information! Also yeah I figured the gear ratios in this thing would be insanely high. Thanks!

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
been messin with those ol' trucks all my life. However I think that is a 216 engine, identifiable by the passenger side cover which extends all the way to the head. The spark plugs go through the cover which is sealed to the block with cork doughnut gasket. Pan will have dippers, oil pressure gauge probably 30 lbs. 235 much better, but the 216, while less power, does fine but low rpm as it is babbet bearing rods. Rods can be machined or bought to run inserted bearings. Older motors had two bolts through the valve cover to secure it, pron to leaks. Motor in pic is out of a 1953 3100 chevy pickup, which I drove all over the US 40+ years ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

I ran the numbers on a stove bolt forum chart and got it back as a ‘48 235. But I’m really not sure. You may be right, I’m impressed by your knowledge of these truck. I also figured it was a 235 since the “Loadmaster” decal was on the valve cover but I’m sure it could have been possible for someone to put that on there. Weren’t all the 216’s thriftmasters?

The newer four speeds (1948- 90'S will mostly bolt up Should have the same bolt pattern, but I have run across (1949 chevy special delux with 216) that had a narrower bolt pattern. If I remember that bellhousing can be replaced with the later model, direct bolt on. In the 53 pickup, I had 4:56 posi out of a 62 chevy, (drop out pumpkin) and a Muncie 4 speed with a Hurst Competion Plus. Actually stop light drags it did good, low gear got me off the line and the Muncie shifted very fast. Fun stuff right there.
My grandfather’s 42 (the one earlier in the thread) has a 5 speed out of an 80’s S10. Not sure on the numbers and I’m not sure on the rear end. It’ll do 50MPH pretty easy. I know for sure that has a 216 out of a ‘50

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
That rearend is actually really strong. It is vacuum operated, with a screw that moves an arm up and down I think.... been a while. There is a cover that gets you into the mechanism. Nobody seemed to ever mess with them, so everyone I have worked on has years of crust. But remove and clean everything inside and get thing working good in there. Undoubtedly have to replace all the vacuum lines to the switch on the dash with the lever that moves to engage. The way it operates usually start in low, ( granny) or second, to fourth, then depress the clutch, shift the lever under the dash. You will here the two speed gears grinding a little, then they will engage and no noise, at which time you let out the clutch. The ones I dealt with were pretty reliable, and it did make a lot of difference as those rear ends will have a numerically (like 5:13 to 1) ratio. Fourth low is maybe 35 miles an hour, where as fourth high "cruse" at 50. Diffidently pull the rearend cover and drain the oil. If it is really nasty, use some diesel to help in cleanup. Almost guarantee axle seals will leak, so replace them before doing the brakes. These truck are, to me, ultra cool as I remember riding around in then as a kid, they were very simple in there construction and you still have reasonable support. Bobs Speedometer is an excellent place if you have bad gauges. You will have some time spent on this project, but I just love it.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I used a S-10 five speed behind these six cylinders, and they are a night and day difference in going down the road. My 64 nova had a Saginaw four speed, (56 chevy) replace with the S-10. I used to drive it from Yakima to Everette WA over Snoqualme (SP?) pass. Four speed sixty miles an hour Five speed cruse at 75. Much less tense.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have a 1950 something Ford F6 which is a 2 ton, dually, dump truck... old county truck. its got the flathead v8 of ford. I know nothing more of it than its got a few gears and a 2 speed rear axle, which blows my mind.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I used a S-10 five speed behind these six cylinders, and they are a night and day difference in going down the road. My 64 nova had a Saginaw four speed, (56 chevy) replace with the S-10. I used to drive it from Yakima to Everette WA over Snoqualme (SP?) pass. Four speed sixty miles an hour Five speed cruse at 75. Much less tense.

A 2 ton truck may not fair too well with an S-10 transmission. That little inline 6 won't like the overdrive too much either. @Darth Plasma I highly suggest you leave it like it is or you will not like it, and definitely that little six won't like it. It's not a race truck, it's a grunt truck.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
My grandfather’s 42 (the one earlier in the thread) has a 5 speed out of an 80’s S10. Not sure on the numbers and I’m not sure on the rear end. It’ll do 50MPH pretty easy. I know for sure that has a 216 out of a ‘50

It's a much lighter truck so the S-10 trans is fine in it, the 2 ton not so much.

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
That rearend is actually really strong. It is vacuum operated, with a screw that moves an arm up and down I think.... been a while. There is a cover that gets you into the mechanism. Nobody seemed to ever mess with them, so everyone I have worked on has years of crust. But remove and clean everything inside and get thing working good in there. Undoubtedly have to replace all the vacuum lines to the switch on the dash with the lever that moves to engage. The way it operates usually start in low, ( granny) or second, to fourth, then depress the clutch, shift the lever under the dash. You will here the two speed gears grinding a little, then they will engage and no noise, at which time you let out the clutch. The ones I dealt with were pretty reliable, and it did make a lot of difference as those rear ends will have a numerically (like 5:13 to 1) ratio. Fourth low is maybe 35 miles an hour, where as fourth high "cruse" at 50. Diffidently pull the rearend cover and drain the oil. If it is really nasty, use some diesel to help in cleanup. Almost guarantee axle seals will leak, so replace them before doing the brakes. These truck are, to me, ultra cool as I remember riding around in then as a kid, they were very simple in there construction and you still have reasonable support. Bobs Speedometer is an excellent place if you have bad gauges. You will have some time spent on this project, but I just love it.

Changing the diff fluid is one of the first things I plan on doing and then finishing the brakes. I haven’t gotten a chance to test all the gauges yet, but I know the Speedo needle is broken off. Honestly I might just leave it as it is lol. I don’t plan on driving this truck on the road for a long time

A 2 ton truck may not fair too well with an S-10 transmission. That little inline 6 won't like the overdrive too much either. @Darth Plasma I highly suggest you leave it like it is or you will not like it, and definitely that little six won't like it. It's not a race truck, it's a grunt truck.
Definitely not going to change any of the drivetrain unless the engine is bad. She’s gonna run as is. Just gonna do all the maintenance on it and make it run good

Darth Plasma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350/SM465
Got all the paperwork for the truck, including this big shop manual and the owners manual. Pretty neat stuff. I’m bringing it home tomorrow!

Also here’s some more pics of the ‘42:

Pics don’t really do justice for how nice this truck is. I don’t have any really good pictures of it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising