18 or 20 detroit steel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brownlongbed

Reaction score
First Name
Bryon
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton BIG 10
Engine Size
My question must get asked 100 times a day and drive everyone crazy….
I have a beautiful 1980 Chevy C-10 half ton, BIG 10, 5 lug model that has been lowered using 2” drop spindles + 4” lowering springs up front, and a 6” flip kit in the rear. it sits level, no c notch and rides great with the current 15 inch staggered rally wheels. Rear tires are 235/70R15 and fronts are 225/70R15. The tires are getting worn so trying to decide on going with fresh tires or if i want to try something different or have options to switch out.
Im shopping new wheels + tires and want to go with either detroit steel smoothie or delray in gloss black, no rings and use original 10.5 inch chevy dog dish hubcaps on them.
I personally like the look and idea of all 4 wheels and tires being the same size all around. I also like the idea of having as much tire as possible on the rims without rubbing the fenders. For these reasons I’m leaning towards the 18” rim size (possibly 20” if i can get a good amount rubber in there with them or if you have any pictures for comparison) and want to know if you guys know what is the best sizing, width and offset for what I’m trying to achieve. i greatly appreciate your help and look forward to mounting the wheels up soon enough to share with everyone.

Please don't shoot me for asking, I've done a ton of searching, using calculators and everyones setup seems to be a little different and unique so its hard to figure out.
If I've offend you by asking, please just ignore this and keep scrolling.
Trust me, I'm continuing to search and inquire everywhere and pull my hair out.
THANK YOU

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think your ralleys look the best. Your survivor Chevy looks great. I don't care for any lowering, JMO.

brownlongbed

Reaction score
First Name
Bryon
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton BIG 10
Engine Size
Thank you for the feedback. I do love the look and ride as is. Just exploring different looks and opinions. Cheers

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'm not a fan of big wheels on squares, but I think you would get a better ride out of the 18" than the 20's due to the taller side wall.

brownlongbed

Reaction score
First Name
Bryon
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton BIG 10
Engine Size
I’ve decided against the Detroit steels.
I love the rally’s and just ordered new tires all around. They are touch bigger and should fit perfect. The paint on them now is not the best so off to powdercoating.
thank you for your opinions and want to keep the truck as beautiful as it is now.

Those steels are just Too heavy , Coys makes a way better non steel option for those interested

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019