18 or 20" wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
LS 6.0
Just got a nice 85 LS swapped project. Has a well done 4/5 drop and all new suspension. Currently has 15" wheels, but I want to go bigger with some Detroit Steel OEM looking rims and tires. Should I go 20" or 18" with a little more rubber? Love to hear and see what everyone is running on their truck.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
LS 6.0
I prefer the 18's but that's just me. I do have to say I like the rallies on your truck :waytogo:
going to go with the same rally rims in grey, just a bigger size!

What size tire you like on the 18's for front and back? Want more of a staggered look.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
20's but no larger.
I have 18's on our 77 c10 but really want 20's.

You may want to look into some brake upgrades and using a Wilwood or X10 spindle with the heavier wheel combo up front with 20's and larger as it puts a lot stress on standard bearings as not much tire to flex.

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
LS 6.0
20's but no larger.
I have 18's on our 77 c10 but really want 20's.

You may want to look into some brake upgrades and using a Wilwood or X10 spindle with the heavier wheel combo up front with 20's and larger as it puts a lot stress on standard bearings as not much tire to flex.
Yea, 20's is my preference too. My 85 already has a full suspension and brake upgrade on all 4, so should be good with the LS power too. 295/40/20 on the rear and 255/40/20 on the front?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im on the old school camp here.... dont go bigger and i personally dont like the detroit steels! I hate making factory wheels way bigger then they were intended and lookin silly. Sorry to be a d1ck, but thats my opinion. Truck looks good as is!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Either 18s or 20s will work just fine. It would be hard for me to pass up putting dubs on it. 40-45 series tires aren't too rubber band-ish. Been running similar size 275-40-20 on our Chargers for alot of year and alot of miles. Being daily drivers they do get a few curb miles... unfortunately. But they're not so short of sidewall that bent rims are an issue.
Either rim size in a 28" ish diameter tire won't have enough sidewall height to protect against curb rash, so no advantage to the 18s in your case.
But I do like the more subdued look of 18s. A buddy has restored a couple C10s, lowered, and has 18s on both (not steelies) and they give it a stockish look but a little cooler.
Vs 20s which are noticeable form 100yds out!

Boils down to what look you want. And our votes don't count! It's your truck.

Something worth mentioning that some of you probably know, but I never thought of until I took some wheels to get straightened by a wheel repair guy. If you see a pothole or sharp edge while driving and you're destined to hit it, DO NOT hit the brakes. Of course, in general, hitting it slower is better, but if you're on the brakes at all when you hit the pothole, the wheel will lock up momentarily when it loses contact or pressure with the road and then it will crash into the pothole not rolling, which causes the majority of bent rims.

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I prefer the 18's but that's just me. I do have to say I like the rallies on your truck :waytogo:

Im on the old school camp here.... dont go bigger and i personally dont like the detroit steels! I hate making factory wheels way bigger then they were intended and lookin silly. Sorry to be a d1ck, but thats my opinion. Truck looks good as is!

I also like the 15" Rally wheels they just need some trim rings... My 2 cents since you are requesting opinions.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
The only way I like 18s on these trucks is the full on autocross/open track guys that are SUPER low with a full chassis under them. Like Level 7 Motorsports' yellow and white truck. Otherwise, 20s get my vote. I've got 20x8s and 20x10.5s with a 255/40/20 and 315/35/20 on mine

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
LS 6.0
20's Detroit Rally's on this C10

18 on the front and 20 on the rear on this square

Or these 20" Detroit Mack wheels in white

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yea, 20's is my preference too. My 85 already has a full suspension and brake upgrade on all 4, so should be good with the LS power too. 295/40/20 on the rear and 255/40/20 on the front?

With the increased weight of a 20" wheel and reduced tire sidewall, you may see increased bearing wear as there will be increased load on the bearings. With increased power + lowered suspension, you'll probably enjoy some more spirited driving. Later on, you may benefit from a spindle with a modern hub design and a brake upgrade, and even some tubular control arms as you'll be working the rubber bushings pretty hard with a +5 wheel combo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheDuke