16 or 20 gal Tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10. Do these come with dual tanks? Because i thought that they did, each 20 gallon tanks. I only have a drivers side tank, none on the passenger side, and no fuel door on the passenger side either, just the drivers side.
I fill it up, and it usually only takes like 60 bucks, or 15-16 gallons from nearly empty. Is this a 20 or a 16 gallon tank? The way the filler neck is i have a hard time filling it, i have to position it a certain way so the pump doesnt auto shutoff on me.

Thanks!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Dual tanks is an option, not standard equipment. If your truck is a swb its a 16gal tank, if its a lwb it can be a 16gal or a 20gal.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10. Do these come with dual tanks? Because i thought that they did, each 20 gallon tanks. I only have a drivers side tank, none on the passenger side, and no fuel door on the passenger side either, just the drivers side.
I fill it up, and it usually only takes like 60 bucks, or 15-16 gallons from nearly empty. Is this a 20 or a 16 gallon tank? The way the filler neck is i have a hard time filling it, i have to position it a certain way so the pump doesnt auto shutoff on me.

Thanks!

Its probably a 16 gallon tank. The 20s come very close to the fill door where as the 16s are about 10" shorter.

The 16s have longer fill tubes thus the filling problem.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you look straight past the filler neck through the fill door and you can see the end off the tank it's 20 gallon, if you can't and have to look toward front of truck, it's 16 gallon. If you have no fuel door on passenger side then you never had duals.

When filling up, don't shove the nozzle all the way in. Put only half and you will be good to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising