10l80 10 speed transmission into square body suburban.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
You must be registered for see images attach

Quick update.... 4500 miles on the new drivetrain. I couldn’t be happier. It ran great after the normal teething problems but oddly at about 3k miles it came “alive”. I ran 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. Pretty good for this big pig. But the inevitable happened to the rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying not to laugh but sorry, I failed.. Actually I'm really happy for you with this setup... I would be so thrilled the junked rear end would still make me happy. It deserves a 10.5 14 bolt... with a locker!

Warthog44

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'm trying not to laugh but sorry, I failed.. Actually I'm really happy for you with this setup... I would be so thrilled the junked rear end would still make me happy. It deserves a 10.5 14 bolt... with a locker!
Once I got the driveshaft off the road I laughed too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Once I got the driveshaft off the road I laughed too.

One should always get their shaft off the road before they laugh..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was once told... “it’s great to be a pioneer.. except for all those arrows in the ass”

That transfer case looks big and beefty too. I'd almost think I'd just consider finding a Ford High Dana 60 (Driver side drop) front axle and use that Tcase too. Talk about a set up !!! And good for a nice lift kit too since you'd have the high pinion front axle and good driveshaft angle.

Warthog44

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
That transfer case looks big and beefty too. I'd almost think I'd just consider finding a Ford High Dana 60 (Driver side drop) front axle and use that Tcase too. Talk about a set up !!! And good for a nice lift kit too since you'd have the high pinion front axle and good driveshaft angle.
That would have been a great idea but this is mostly a highway rig. It cruises at 85 really nice. Not much bumpsteer, but I do wish the spring rate in the front matched the rear. It feels like the front springs are a little harder than the rear. I did solve rear end issue. Just got a Moser. Wasn’t much more than a 14 bolt once rebuilt.

Rashad Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I just got a 2017 L86 6.2 with the 10 speed including transfer case.

Can you tell me what extras did you have to buy to make this swap complete? Did you have to go to an electric power steering pump?

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I just got a 2017 L86 6.2 with the 10 speed including transfer case.

Can you tell me what extras did you have to buy to make this swap complete? Did you have to go to an electric power steering pump?
May want to verify what you have, far as I know 10 speed not introduced into trucks until 2020

Rashad Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
May want to verify what you have, far as I know 10 speed not introduced into trucks until 2020
My bad 2018.....these were introduced to the suburban/Escalade/Yukon Denali in 2018

Warthog44

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
My bad 2018.....these were introduced to the suburban/Escalade/Yukon Denali in 2018

U might want to ask someone else... I wasn’t smart enough to check before I drove off. I actually have an 8 speed. Still got a great deal but would’ve preferred the 10 speed. I have a little or 10k miles on it now and I’m very happy.

Rashad Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
U might want to ask someone else... I wasn’t smart enough to check before I drove off. I actually have an 8 speed. Still got a great deal but would’ve preferred the 10 speed. I have a little or 10k miles on it now and I’m very happy.

Do you still use the floor shifter for your 4wd? Do you know what transfer case the 4l80 used? Is it possible to get the shops info that did your swap and the name of the person you dealt with. Would love to ask them some questions.

22mpg on the highway in a square burb is awesome, can’t wait for this mileage!!!

Rashad Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
WartHogg44 can you give me the shop’s info you used?

Warthog44

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
WartHogg44 can you give me the shop’s info you used?

Rashad... just found this app on my phone again. If you want I will post your Private message here for everyone. I apologize I accidentally deleted the app and never thought about till Rashad PM’d me

Warthog44

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Rashad... just found this app on my phone again. If you want I will post your Private message here for everyone. I apologize I accidentally deleted the app and never thought about till Rashad PM’d me

One thing I didn’t tell you in the message is I used the stock truck headers. But I had corvette LT1 headers too and they hit something. But I really can’t remember. Like I said Alzheimer’s.... I guess?

Btw. I made another shock adjustment and it was so successful I’m driving a lot faster.... perhaps from cruising at 69~75 to going 80-85 on the highway. I lost a LOT of mpg. Down to 16-17mpg.

Have a set of deaver springs coming. That’s my next move. Anyone done that?

Rashad Baker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
One thing I didn’t tell you in the message is I used the stock truck headers. But I had corvette LT1 headers too and they hit something. But I really can’t remember. Like I said Alzheimer’s.... I guess?

Btw. I made another shock adjustment and it was so successful I’m driving a lot faster.... perhaps from cruising at 69~75 to going 80-85 on the highway. I lost a LOT of mpg. Down to 16-17mpg.

Have a set of deaver springs coming. That’s my next move. Anyone done that?

Sure you can post it in here so other people get the info as well.

So you used the donor truck’s heads that you got the drivetrain from? I certainly hope it’s not Alzheimer’s my friend...

Did you change out the fuel tank because the old one wouldn’t work with the swap or for another reason? I did a quick search on Tanks Inc and it doesn’t look like they have 37 gallon tanks for the burb, what size did you get?

Your mpg drop because you raised it?

Warthog44

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 1500
Engine Size
Sure you can post it in here so other people get the info as well.

So you used the donor truck’s heads that you got the drivetrain from? I certainly hope it’s not Alzheimer’s my friend...

Did you change out the fuel tank because the old one wouldn’t work with the swap or for another reason? I did a quick search on Tanks Inc and it doesn’t look like they have 37 gallon tanks for the burb, what size did you get?

Your mpg drop because you raised it?

No I’m sorry. Use your original tank and what they call the “hanger”. Which is the lid of the tank that holds the pump and sending unit. Tanks inc has a pump that slides on. Also get their regulator. Their guys were mixed up on one of the fuel lines but I couldn’t believe how good they were on the line lengths/fittings/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20