1" vs 1.25" Brake help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emgeem

Reaction score
First Name
Monte
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350ci
Either I screwed up or Summit did but the McGaughey drop spindles I ordered about a year ago are for 1.25" thick rotors & I have 1" rotors originally. Since the brakes needed to be rebuilt anyway I went to the local O'Reileys & got 1.25" rotors & bearings to match. Now I am worried if the original 1" calipers are going to work. The bolt up dimensions look the same (7" roughly center to center) but I do not know what is all involved in this conversion. I just bought everything today and can return it if the swap is not gonna work. I need to know if the calipers need to be changed or if I need a different set of drop spindles. If it's the calipers I am good with that, if it's the spindles I will need to bring the rotor's etc back...I need to see if I can get the correct calipers and pads for the 1.25" rotors

Also if anyone knows what year & model truck took the 1.25" brakes since that's the only way the local auto places can look stuff up.

Any advice or help is appreciated!!!

Monte

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
bolt err up and go.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Are you sure the factory ones are 1" Rotors can be turned and that removes thickness from them???

Emgeem

Reaction score
First Name
Monte
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350ci
Are you sure the factory ones are 1" Rotors can be turned and that removes thickness from them???

No, my dad bought the truck new in 85 and I have done pretty much all the maint. on it. And I've owned it for the last 19 years. But Thanks...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had this issue once with 86 spindles where the parts store sold me 1.25" rotors & bearings, but my spindles required 1" parts. As I recall, the calipers & pads are the same, just the rotors and one wheel bearing are different.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Either I screwed up or Summit did but the McGaughey drop spindles I ordered about a year ago are for 1.25" thick rotors & I have 1" rotors originally. Since the brakes needed to be rebuilt anyway I went to the local O'Reileys & got 1.25" rotors & bearings to match. Now I am worried if the original 1" calipers are going to work. The bolt up dimensions look the same (7" roughly center to center) but I do not know what is all involved in this conversion. I just bought everything today and can return it if the swap is not gonna work. I need to know if the calipers need to be changed or if I need a different set of drop spindles. If it's the calipers I am good with that, if it's the spindles I will need to bring the rotor's etc back...I need to see if I can get the correct calipers and pads for the 1.25" rotors

Also if anyone knows what year & model truck took the 1.25" brakes since that's the only way the local auto places can look stuff up.

Any advice or help is appreciated!!!

Monte

Why don't you ship me your spindles for the 1.25" rotors and I'll ship you mine for the 1" rotors. I found out yesterday that I had ordered the wrong ones while trying to put it all together. They are in a box and ready to ship back to McGaughys tomorrow. They are on my 73.

Emgeem

Reaction score
First Name
Monte
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350ci
I had this issue once with 86 spindles where the parts store sold me 1.25" rotors & bearings, but my spindles required 1" parts. As I recall, the calipers & pads are the same, just the rotors and one wheel bearing are different.

I'm gonna have to try it & see. I was told that the calipers had to be changed. But hopefully not. Thanks

Emgeem

Reaction score
First Name
Monte
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
350ci
Why don't you ship me your spindles for the 1.25" rotors and I'll ship you mine for the 1" rotors. I found out yesterday that I had ordered the wrong ones while trying to put it all together. They are in a box and ready to ship back to McGaughys tomorrow. They are on my 73.

If they weren't already on the truck along with everything else I would jump all over your offer. I do appreciate it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe