1 piece drive shaft in a 3+3 dually??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I had a one piece built to replace the two piece on my 00 S10 when I still had it. Also replaced the stupid CV rear joint with a regular u joint.

Due to the length the shop made it out of 3.5" aluminum. I don't recall the wall thickness right off hand. It cost me about $320 but it was worth it imo, it got rid if the vibration that truck had around 45 mph since it was new. It was a ZQ8 ext cab with the 4.3l. My 98 5.7 Z71 ext cab also has an aluminum one piece an it's rather big as well but I've never measured it. My friends 95 5.7 ext cab has a steel two piece driveshaft though.

My point is if you made a one piece for it it would have to be huge to be strong enough....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My point is if you made a one piece for it it would have to be huge to be strong enough....

Yep, and it would be heavy as hell, and would probably take another lb of weight to get it to balance if it were even possible.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Your opinion isn't null and void. I get your point and agree, BUT, in this case, this driveshaft would be to long.

Thanks for the kind words HR. I meant that regarding driveshaft length opinions, there were enough in here. And yeah.... my official opinion too is that a two piece one is safest. But I have many opinions on common sense stuff people don't want to understand.

-Off topic here slightly, but still involving driveshafts. One thing that I absolutely hate is people removing the top speed governor on their trucks (and cars). Besides the tires not rated to handle the potential higher speeds, one of the other bigger issues is driveshaft "imbalance", if you will. Stock driveshafts are limited to a certain speed for a reason. As we all know, when they pass there physical limits, they begin a parabolic bend. Guess what happens because of this... THEY GET SHORTER!!! All those you tube videos of driveshafts failing on dynos are typically because of this parabolic shortening and resulting disengagement from the slip yoke, NOT driveshaft materials versus power levels, as most think.

I guess in the end, that was not that far off-topic.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Thanks for the kind words HR. I meant that regarding driveshaft length opinions, there were enough in here. And yeah.... my official opinion too is that a two piece one is safest. But I have many opinions on common sense stuff people don't want to understand.

-Off topic here slightly, but still involving driveshafts. One thing that I absolutely hate is people removing the top speed governor on their trucks (and cars). Besides the tires not rated to handle the potential higher speeds, one of the other bigger issues is driveshaft "imbalance", if you will. Stock driveshafts are limited to a certain speed for a reason. As we all know, when they pass there physical limits, they begin a parabolic bend. Guess what happens because of this... THEY GET SHORTER!!! All those you tube videos of driveshafts failing on dynos are typically because of this parabolic shortening and resulting disengagement from the slip yoke, NOT driveshaft materials versus power levels, as most think.

I guess in the end, that was not that far off-topic.

You hit the nail on the head. Ford has had a hard time of this lately, with morons removing the top speed limiter from the new V6 Mustangs. Ford is running a lightweight aluminum shaft for fuel economy reasons, and they just can't handle the higher speeds over the factory limiter. More than a few reports of exploding driveshafts on them.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Yeah well first off, quit exaggerating. Not sure where you come up with a mile long driveshaft. It's more like a 1/4 mile long sooooo.... just sayin' :shrug:

Sorry! I was close though lol :waytogo:

If all else fails, you could always go out and just do it and let us know how it goes. If it works, you can laugh at all us neigh-sayers!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry! I was close though lol :waytogo:

If all else fails, you could always go out and just do it and let us know how it goes. If it works, you can laugh at all us neigh-sayers!

Being that a mile is 5280 feet long, and a 1/4 mile is only 1320 feet long, I don't call that close at all. :Sumo:

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Isnt there someone on here whos sig says "Close only sounts in horseshoes and hand grenades"?

We need to consult him lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard