01 Olds Silhouette Thermostat Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevor8186

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 w/ th350
Well, my buddy returned my mini van with no oil, and a leak coming from one of the coolant lines. I hear a slight bottom end knock now as well... I am not too happy with the kid. Anyways, I am going to go ahead and pull the truck out of the garage if I can get it to start and get the mini van in... It's going to be a little project because everything is so tight in there compared to the truck lol... Anyone have any experience with this motor? I should be able to figure it out, and I do hope that it is the thermostat lol... Better not be a head gasket because I will be going to jail for killing my friend lmao..

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Likely lower intake gaskets, they are the biggest problem on those engines.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, my buddy returned my mini van with no oil, and a leak coming from one of the coolant lines. I hear a slight bottom end knock now as well... I am not too happy with the kid. Anyways, I am going to go ahead and pull the truck out of the garage if I can get it to start and get the mini van in... It's going to be a little project because everything is so tight in there compared to the truck lol... Anyone have any experience with this motor? I should be able to figure it out, and I do hope that it is the thermostat lol... Better not be a head gasket because I will be going to jail for killing my friend lmao..

Likely lower intake gaskets, they are the biggest problem on those engines.

^Agreed. I will say the head gaskets are a fairly close second. My Montana has had the head gaskets replaced twice now. Once at 70k miles before I got it, and again at 140k miles. I did it myself the second time, and yeah, its a bitch working in that engine compartment. I much enjoyed working on my Lumina compared to our Montana. But take your time and keep things organized as you work, and you will be fine.

I you do have to take it apart to do the lower intake manifold, do yourself a favor and replace the thermostat and also the oil pump drive shaft o-ring. They will both be exposed and they don't cost much to do. The oil pump o-ring is where the distributor used to be on the earlier versions on the engine. If you take it down this far, it's only one more step to take the heads off and do the head gaskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek