TBI Spacer Talk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, I wasn't kiidding when I said people use wooden ones.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I thought phenolic was plastic composite and not wood?

Also it's just what it says an insulator to keep heat from coming up thru the intake into the tb, the steel and alum. would disapate it, right into the tb or carb.

Maybe that's why the guys claim a seat of the pants and any other improvement, they are just mashing it right off the line with it and can feel a difference since it has some added air volume. As for storing air not sure on that one, but I had always heard as mentioned before it gives the fuel further to travel to get to the cylinders so it better atomizes before it get there, and with it insulating heat it would be cooler fuel as well. But I guess more space would be more air, so I guess it would store some.

I kinda like what I had heard before, "a motor is only gonna take in as much air as it needs", and put out as much in return I would guess. So all you would be doing is allowing it to get the air it needs easier, or have it ready to be taken in, not really improving anything just making it easier to get what it needs. or to get it faster. Now of course that's not force fedding, like a blower, just normal. In the blower case you are forcing it in there.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I had no idea there was a wood component to bolt onto a cars engine. I am blown away.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
i heard wood works very well cause its soft and seal good

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One thing that works well is the spacer made for the injector pod in the TB itself. It's only $20 and I swear it feels like it added a fair amount of mid range and even top end power. My big honkin' Burb has surprised more than a few people, all the little things add up.

nxtlevl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had no idea there was a wood component to bolt onto a cars engine. I am blown away.

There were even wood pistons that have rings made from a special wax from an almost extinct bee called "JuJu"....Created back in the 1800's.....I heard this is where wax toilet bowl rings originated.....

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:....Sorry, couldn't resist!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sunuva bitch, you got me ya bastard, lol! I was all ready to quote ya and ****, lol.....

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm running a 1.5" spacer that was given to me. Like the MSD box and the adjustable fuel regulator, each item by itself is not going to make a noticeable difference but added together they might. We are talking about a couple of horsepower difference in a vehicle with an 8600 lb. GVWR so guys that say they notice a seat-of-the-pants difference are dreaming.

I drove my friend's '91 Suburban and his felt fast compared to mine even though mine has the same size engine and runs much better. The difference is his was a 2wd 1/2 ton on stock tires compared to my 3/4 ton 4x4 on 35's. A few hp improvement is lost when trying to motivate hundreds of pounds of extra weight.

I'm doing everything to mine that is considered to be a proven improvement over the stock setup. But I'm in touch with reality enough to know that even after the new engine is in I'll still get smoked by my wife's V6 Accord.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Yea I was looking at the pod spacer for tbi, they want $30 for them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm running a 1.5" spacer that was given to me. Like the MSD box and the adjustable fuel regulator, each item by itself is not going to make a noticeable difference but added together they might. We are talking about a couple of horsepower difference in a vehicle with an 8600 lb. GVWR so guys that say they notice a seat-of-the-pants difference are dreaming.

I drove my friend's '91 Suburban and his felt fast compared to mine even though mine has the same size engine and runs much better. The difference is his was a 2wd 1/2 ton on stock tires compared to my 3/4 ton 4x4 on 35's. A few hp improvement is lost when trying to motivate hundreds of pounds of extra weight.

I'm doing everything to mine that is considered to be a proven improvement over the stock setup. But I'm in touch with reality enough to know that even after the new engine is in I'll still get smoked by my wife's V6 Accord.

Its not only the weight difference in your case of comparisons. You also have parastitic loss of hp in drag of a Tcase, and drag of a front axle too, not to mention the bigger tires. Flywheel HP is likley the same.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah but, but, didn't someone say hp ratings have been NET hp for some time now??? Hard to say either way. I know I could tell a power differance in my 2 Avalanches. The 2wd would by far get aways from the 4x4 off the start. Close together at upper speeds though. And both had 3.73 gears. Damn, I miss my 03 Z66 Avy. Loved that truck.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yeah but, but, didn't someone say hp ratings have been NET hp for some time now??? Hard to say either way. I know I could tell a power differance in my 2 Avalanches. The 2wd would by far get aways from the 4x4 off the start. Close together at upper speeds though. And both had 3.73 gears. Damn, I miss my 03 Z66 Avy. Loved that truck.

Yes, HP ratings have been NET for 40 years now.

I'm surprised about the difference in the Avalanches. Did you try putting the 4x4 Avy in 4hi? I remember a road test on a Lingenfelter Suburban and it was 1/10 of a second faster in 4hi than it was in 2hi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus