'88 TBI Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
hooker makes some, but no O2 sensor bung. you'd have to add it to the exhaust just after the manifold.

good point, thanks,

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'd look at some lt1 manifolds off an impala,roadmaster,or caddy.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
'tis almost upon us gents

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yep. You're gonna need collectors like these to screw your oxygen sensor into.
Prolly have to lengthen the wire - avoid using butt connectors there. They add too much resistance and foul the reading. Solder and heat shrink, k?
P. S.
-put the heat shrink on the wire first and then solder the splice.

You can do it!
:waytogo:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Yep. You're gonna need collectors like these to screw your oxygen sensor into.
Prolly have to lengthen the wire - avoid using butt connectors there. They add too much resistance and foul the reading. Solder and heat shrink, k?
P. S.
-put the heat shrink on the wire first and then solder the splice.

You can do it!
:waytogo:

basic wiring 101 of course. and trust me, I've learned that lesson ONE TO MANY TIMES haha. Thanks bud

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Alrighty. Still learning, bear with me. Had to get a new timing set due to roller swap. Took the old one off, there was no thrust bearing/plate. Is this unnecessary due to cam button?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Alrighty. Still learning, bear with me. Had to get a new timing set due to roller swap. Took the old one off, there was no thrust bearing/plate. Is this unnecessary due to cam button?

Basically, there's two common setups.

The original aftermarket type roller cam for use in all small blocks requires a cam button to keep the cam from walking. Use of a Torrington bearing (and a cam sprocket machined for it) is not a requirement, just an option.

The factory type roller cam used in '87 and newer small blocks. The cam has a "step nose" and works with a retaining plate that bolts to the block, no cam button needed. Not all '87-up blocks are machined for a roller cam setup since trucks didn't get them until sometime in the 90's. Some factory crate engines didn't get them either.

Based on your pictures, the lifter valley has no bosses for a roller lifter retainer and you have the aftermarket type roller cam installed?

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Basically, there's two common setups.

The original aftermarket type roller cam for use in all small blocks requires a cam button to keep the cam from walking. Use of a Torrington bearing (and a cam sprocket machined for it) is not a requirement, just an option.

The factory type roller cam used in '87 and newer small blocks. The cam has a "step nose" and works with a retaining plate that bolts to the block, no cam button needed. Not all '87-up blocks are machined for a roller cam setup since trucks didn't get them until sometime in the 90's. Some factory crate engines didn't get them either.

Based on your pictures, the lifter valley has no bosses for a roller lifter retainer and you have the aftermarket type roller cam installed?

yes, i have a Summit stage 1 roller cam. I heard my piece on the bearing, but was told that the setup would need a cam button. Got the timing cover with one built in but the button is a hair too big. Not only am i to get a smaller one, but i've heard the steel vs nylon debate. And then came across the bearing debate and just wanted to confirm

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They also make brass cam buttons. As to which is better, I can't say. There's probably a bunch of opinions on that.

I've never used one yet, but they also offer a sturdy aluminum cover with a built-in adjustable stop for a cam button. I've always assumed that would be the most reliable way to go, regardless of cam button material, especially if using a Torrington bearing behind the cam sprocket.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
They also make brass cam buttons. As to which is better, I can't say. There's probably a bunch of opinions on that.

I've never used one yet, but they also offer a sturdy aluminum cover with a built-in adjustable stop for a cam button. I've always assumed that would be the most reliable way to go, regardless of cam button material, especially if using a Torrington bearing behind the cam sprocket.

Would you double up? Or is it a one or the other sort of thing?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Would you double up? Or is it a one or the other sort of thing?

They aren't related actually. You need the cam button to prevent cam walk. The Torrington bearing behind the cam sprocket is to reduce wear and friction, but not required.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I should also say, the Torrington bearing setup just floats between the cam sprocket and the engine block. It in no way shape or form acts as a retainer plate like on the factory roller cam blocks.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I should also say, the Torrington bearing setup just floats between the cam sprocket and the engine block. It in no way shape or form acts as a retainer plate like on the factory roller cam blocks.

it wouldn't hurt the block or sprocket to run without?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad