Pinion angle for lowered SWB Square?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaysnCayne

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I'm just really, really puzzled as to why I seem to be the only one having to deal with such an issue??
Thousands of swb squares before mine have been lowered. And the guys I've talked to about it tell me: "yeah, I just lowered it and it was fine".
But when I do the same, I have this absurd engine/trans angle. Which didn't have anything to do with me lowering it.
I've already tucked the welder away for this build. Really don't want to cut and weld to fix this problem. But I'm not sure if it'd be harder to figure out how to cleanly lower the engine on the mounts and then have to deal with lowering the radiator in the core support to keep the fan in the shroud and then rejigger all the other things that will affect.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Years ago I built a 1980 Pro Street C10, it’s my avatar.
Lowered with frame notched, tubs etc.. Ford nine inch on custom built leaf packs & hangers.
I set it all up on the wheels and tires, the last welds I made were to tack the spring perches on with 4 degrees of pinion angle. Then removed the housing and did the finish welding. The truck had 33” X 16” Mickeys on it and worked great, never a drive line problem

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm just really, really puzzled as to why I seem to be the only one having to deal with such an issue??
Thousands of swb squares before mine have been lowered. And the guys I've talked to about it tell me: "yeah, I just lowered it and it was fine".
But when I do the same, I have this absurd engine/trans angle. Which didn't have anything to do with me lowering it.
I've already tucked the welder away for this build. Really don't want to cut and weld to fix this problem. But I'm not sure if it'd be harder to figure out how to cleanly lower the engine on the mounts and then have to deal with lowering the radiator in the core support to keep the fan in the shroud and then rejigger all the other things that will affect.
No, you are not the only one. When I lowered my '82 with the axle flip, the last thing I did was have the saddles welded. I lowered it at home. No welder, bolted together. Drove to work, loosened the U bolts and adjusted the angle of the axle. Then jacked it up so the welder could sparkle the saddles in place.

ReefkoiC10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS3
You arent the only one , maybe just on here but this isnt really a performance oriented forum. I run 4.5 degrees and have no problems at all, when i ran 2.5 degrees i was playing jump rope when spinning the tires

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod