TBI Cam recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
To make a long story short, Went looking for a ticking noise that I thought was an exhaust leak and turned out to be lifters. After attempting to adjust them (turn the nut until the pushrod cant spin and then 1/2 turn) I realized that my lifters are probably on the way out (pushrods kept spinning/rockers would feel lose atfer the 1/2 turn). Conventional wisdom has told me that just throwing new lifters (hydraulic flat tappet) won't do the trick and will probably run the risk of wiping out the cam and lifters.

With that being said, I have a couple options, but I'm lost when it comes to cams (I understand what the specs mean, it just seems like there are a million options out there). I'm not looking to make massive horsepower or torque and would prefer to not have to tune the tbi computer.

Option 1. Assuming my cam is in good shape, keep the stock cam in there and use Crower Cam saver lifters. This is the best option (and cheapest) for keeping the existing cam.

Option 2. I could stick with the stock tbi cam (new), or something with a bit more torque/HP, but I have no Idea what to go with as far as my stock tbi computer is concerned. I've seen suggestions for multiple cams but nothing that consistently will work with the stoc chip. I've also heard a lot about lifter failures in recent years with hydraulic flat tappet lifters. I'd probably still go with Crower or GM lifters as I've heard horror stories regarding comp/xtreme energy lifter failures.

Option 3. Convert to a roller cam/lifter setup. I know I can find the spider/dog bones/thrust plate at my local pick and pull, and I have the bosses for the spider to bolt to, I'd just need to drill and tap them. Again, no real idea what cam to go with for my stock chip.

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
bigger cams can be controlled by the computer, but tuning is required. I'd stay stock unless you plan to tune the computer yourself with something like EBL flash II.

or build something that matches BluePrint Engines 350tbi with roller cam that they have designed to work with a stock tube. that might also require heads, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag