350 TBI in California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I feel so bad for you guys having to deal with bureaucratic nonsense that probably doesn't improve air quality by even .01%, due to the small number of older vehicles on the roads. Wouldn't surprise me if the state someday decides to limit the number of miles per year those vehicles can be driven.

Hoody

Reaction score
First Name
Hood
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
It would be up to the smog tech, so make friends with one...Or easiest thing would be to just register it in South Dakota. They allow out of state reg and no inspections, smog, etc. You can do it yourself through Pennington County Treasurer or use a company like dirtlegal.com. Then you can remove all the egr/ smog crap.

There's also Vermont and Montana. Montana you must set up a LLC and can register everything in your LLC if you want.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
It would be up to the smog tech, so make friends with one...Or easiest thing would be to just register it in South Dakota. They allow out of state reg and no inspections, smog, etc. You can do it yourself through Pennington County Treasurer or use a company like dirtlegal.com. Then you can remove all the egr/ smog crap.

There's also Vermont and Montana. Montana you must set up a LLC and can register everything in your LLC if you want.
And yet you live in a non-emissions county, unless the rules have changed, Inyo is non-emissions

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

FYI California has these mobile emissions testing rigs floating around the state. CHP is with them.

I retired in 2016 from a PD in Northern California and twice they showed up in town before I left. At the time they were voluntary but in California that can change at anytime.

Just be aware before removing emissions equipment or putting a gas motor in an old diesel truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
FYI California has these mobile emissions testing rigs floating around the state. CHP is with them.

I retired in 2016 from a PD in Northern California and twice they showed up in town before I left. At the time they were voluntary but in California that can change at anytime.

Just be aware before removing emissions equipment or putting a gas motor in an old diesel truck.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yep tampering with the emissions is illegal by federal law everywhere in the united states,some states just don't check anything, but that could change at any time. All the feds have to do is say,enforce the clean air act better or we cut your highway funding and we all will be scrambling to find all the emissions stuff we didn't save.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
If you don't want to have to do anything with emissions on a truck in CA, find a one ton that was never required to have emissions controls. Those got a pass until sometime in the 1980's because due to being sold as cab and chassis or rolling chassis it wasn't feasible to test every configuration. That loophole was how the Dodge Warlock and Lil' Red Express Truck existed. No emissions controls required so Dodge was able to build their engines like it was the 1960's.

My 1982 GMC 3500 doesn't have any emissions controls, it never had them because it was (AFAIK) sold as a cab and chassis onto which a flatbed was installed (moved from a Dodge and still has Dodge mudflaps).

So someone in California should be able to buy it and the State couldn't say boo about its lack of cats, the 700-R4 or the 350 V8 with TBI.

A while back the feds made it so vehicles over 25 years old no longer had to have their original emissions controls. So of course California hurried up to pass a law to ignore that federal rule.

It's insane how California either will not allow modifications to make a car run cleaner, or makes you jump through a few flaming hoops to do it. They focus on the process, the equipment under the hood, rather than the product, the exhaust out the tailpipe. How clean the exhaust is should be the only thing. How it's made should be no concern as long as it meets or exceeds the regulations of the year the vehicle was manufactured.

Idaho just got rid of emissions testing. Why? Because it had become pointless. The number of older vehicles has become low enough that their emissions are inconsequential, and newer cars rarely, if ever, get out of spec on tailpipe emissions.

Thus the testing program was seen as an unwarranted expense on the public. When was the last time California did away with a mandatory State program that had become pointless, other than grabbing money from the citizens?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Galane My '85 K30 had to get smogged every two years when I lived in CA. It has a regular bed on it. The only difference on my truck was it originally ran on regular gas, so it has factory dual exhaust and no cats. It had just about every other emission item on it though.

Thank God I live in TN now where we got rid of emissions testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod