Mini spool vs lunchbox locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
with the auto locking hubs they are disconected at the hub just like a regular manual hub. if you dont believe me put a squarebody with the autolocking hubs on a lift and spin one wheel and nothing happens at all to the other wheel or the driveline. they are free spinning and the front driveline does not move at all. once the front driveline starts moving they lock. i figured that out when i was doing my lift :crazy: so actually it will not affect on road 2wd performance

Aaaccckkkk!!!!! Auto hubs!!!

You will end up being 2wd only on the first trip out because you will have already broke both of those auto hubs the first time you shifted to 4wd. If you're going to spend any money at all, upgrade to manual hubs first. If your auto hubs are still working, put them on ebay and you might get a little coin out of them.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Put the locking hubs. Do not put a spool in with auto hubs. When my auto hubs died, it wasn't they broke, it wasn't that they would not engage.

The problem they were having was they would not DISENGAGE. I really would not want to be in a situation where I could possibly be stuck with a spool and auto hubs that would not want to disengage.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Put the locking hubs. Do not put a spool in with auto hubs. When my auto hubs died, it wasn't they broke, it wasn't that they would not engage.

The problem they were having was they would not DISENGAGE. I really would not want to be in a situation where I could possibly be stuck with a spool and auto hubs that would not want to disengage.

One of mine started getting lazy. I got stuck in the snow so many times because of that lazy hub, then it would suddenly finally engage when I was on the gas and the driveline turning. That was always a very uncomfortable BANG!

Then one day it kept trying to engage while driving down the road, popping and grinding away. That was the end of the Burb's "stock era".

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
One of mine started getting lazy. I got stuck in the snow so many times because of that lazy hub, then it would suddenly finally engage when I was on the gas and the driveline turning. That was always a very uncomfortable BANG!

Then one day it kept trying to engage while driving down the road, popping and grinding away. That was the end of the Burb's "stock era".

Ouch!!!!

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
ok ill wait on the spool or locker and do the manual hubs first, along with the steering bracket.... but this all is money money money. ha i want to get a cheap k5 later this year anyway since ill be getting a job and i could use that for more serious off road use... so im not sure how much i really want to invest in my long bed truck for off road. perhaps ill stick with the tires and lift and leave it at that... sounds like it would take a lot to get this truck off road ready. 100 dollar steering brace. 300 dollar locker. 100 dollar manual hubs. and this is still with the stock 10 bolts...

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A cheap K5? Do they exist anymore.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
A cheap K5? Do they exist anymore.

i have found several in running condition for about a grand. but would it be worth it to drop a grand or 1500 for a decent k5? or should i just upgrade my truck even if it is a longbed? the only thing is i dont want to mess it up off road or mod it too much cuz its low mileage and is all (almost) original

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
K5 would make a better trail rig IMO, it is shorter wheelbase for tight places, and you can haul more people than a pickup. If I had my way I would have built a K5 instead of my truck just so I could take more people with me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i have found several in running condition for about a grand. but would it be worth it to drop a grand or 1500 for a decent k5? or should i just upgrade my truck even if it is a longbed? the only thing is i dont want to mess it up off road or mod it too much cuz its low mileage and is all (almost) original

I'd be the wrong one to ask that. I'd say buy all the squares you can. Don't ask Bucket ether. He also believes in having one of each model and in every color.

But, if you can get a fair K5 for $1500 that runs and isn't a massive rust bucket, I'd jump all over it. And since your truck is low mileage and OEM then yeah, I'd leave it alone. Nice to have one to leave all OEM, then another to mod the hell out of, and if you break it one day playing to hard, then you can fall back on the OEM low mileage truck. Face it, many times a break will come at the worst time when funds are not available so the repair might have to wait a week or 2.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
K5 would make a better trail rig IMO, it is shorter wheelbase for tight places, and you can haul more people than a pickup. If I had my way I would have built a K5 instead of my truck just so I could take more people with me.

I agree. But I can't seem to find a K5 for the price around here. I think I'm gonna settle for a Burb. The can be had for $1500 in running decent shape. You'd pay $3000 for a K5 in the same condition. If I have to settle for a Burb though, it's gonna be 3/4 ton. Go Big or Go Home if I can't get exactly what I want.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
if i do get a k5 then should i just stick with the lift/ tires and leave it be? would it be worth the extra coin to make my truck better off road? or will the 33 mud tires give me enough respectable off road ability for now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'd be the wrong one to ask that. I'd say buy all the squares you can. Don't ask Bucket ether. He also believes in having one of each model and in every color. [/QOUTE]

Ahahaha! :roflbow:

I have scored on used manual hubs in the scrap yard for cheap!!!

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Same here 89S i got a set of almost brand new oones they still had the factory grease in them and no rust or anything on them and only paid i think 25 for the set.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Lol, HRPC's got me pegged :wave:

if i do get a k5 then should i just stick with the lift/ tires and leave it be? would it be worth the extra coin to make my truck better off road? or will the 33 mud tires give me enough respectable off road ability for now.

You would be surprised what you can do with a small lift, 33's and a locker in the rear. Then later on you can pickup a beaten K5 to go hog wild on, while you still have your nice but capable truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT