Spray vs Plastic Bedliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a 1981 long bed fleetside C10. The prior owner had an OK paint job done on the exterior but seems to have applied some sort of bed liner material himself and because of poor material and/or workmanship it didn't last hardly at all. So there's original paint showing through in many places and what's left is just barely hanging on. I suspect an enthusiastic power wash will take it back down to the old paint.

So first question is whether to go with spray-on or plastic bed liner? I've seen people extol the virtues of both but haven't seen anything that firmly convinces me one way or another. Which ever way I go, I'd have it done professionally as this is not a skill set I want to acquire. The truck is going to be parked outside and I live in the Pacific Northwest, if that makes any difference. The truck is going to be used as a restoration hobby and as a hardware store/nursery/lumber yard runner.

Other question is what do you do if you need to carry a very light sheet of 4x8 plywood? I can imagine having tie-downs at the corners somewhere on the deck or low in the bed, but if it's a solution that requires drilling through the bed the gas tanks might be in the way in the front. I'm sure there are standard solutions out there but I haven't seen any yet.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 1981 long bed fleetside C10. The prior owner had an OK paint job done on the exterior but seems to have applied some sort of bed liner material himself and because of poor material and/or workmanship it didn't last hardly at all. So there's original paint showing through in many places and what's left is just barely hanging on. I suspect an enthusiastic power wash will take it back down to the old paint.

So first question is whether to go with spray-on or plastic bed liner? I've seen people extol the virtues of both but haven't seen anything that firmly convinces me one way or another. Which ever way I go, I'd have it done professionally as this is not a skill set I want to acquire. The truck is going to be parked outside and I live in the Pacific Northwest, if that makes any difference. The truck is going to be used as a restoration hobby and as a hardware store/nursery/lumber yard runner.

Other question is what do you do if you need to carry a very light sheet of 4x8 plywood? I can imagine having tie-downs at the corners somewhere on the deck or low in the bed, but if it's a solution that requires drilling through the bed the gas tanks might be in the way in the front. I'm sure there are standard solutions out there but I haven't seen any yet.

Thanks for any help.
I replaced the bottom bolts on the front bed panel with eye bolts, for a low attachment point.

The plastic bed liners tend to cause rust issues.

Years ago I was driving on Loop 610 in Houston in my 79 Camaro, when I saw a plastic bed liner that came out of a pickup, flying in the air about 40 yards ahead of me and heading my way.
I punched it and watched in my mirror as it barely missed my rear spoiler, and a big pile-up of cars behind me.

Last edited:

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
My vote is a 2k (catalyzed) spray in liner. On a properly prepped surface a 2k product should hold up very nicely. These days there are plenty of options, I have this stuff for my 79 (going to be using it as undercoating and bed liner).

For moving sheet goods bring some offcut 4x4 or 6x6, bricks, cinder blocks for weight and just set on top of the sheet (maybe a moving blanket in between to protect the material.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Plastic bed liners are easily removable and stuff slides in easy…then again, stuff can slide around when you don’t want it to. There is also the chance that rust can grow out of sight out of mind. A good layer of maintenance before placement could help this.

I have a spray in bed liner, but it’ll be a pita if/when I want it gone. The UV gets to them after a few years and they don’t look as good as when new.
You must be registered for see images attach

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I've had both. The plastic drop-in liner did far more damage than it prevented. Dirt and sand gets underneath them where it acts like sandpaper, removing paint, then moisture collects in the dirt causing rust. It did the same thing along the top of the bed rails where the liner wraps over the edge. As mentioned above, they're slick and things slide around unless tied down.

The spray-in liner was done by a shop. It was pretty thick, probably 3/16" or so, and was really durable. I didn't notice a battery had fallen over in the bed and it laid there all-day dripping acid. Cleaned it up, and the only damage was a slight discoloration of the material. It didn't eat into the liner at all. I remember the installer telling me that decades from now, that truck would probably be a rusted hulk sitting in a scrap yard with a perfect bed attached. I believe him. When I sold the truck, the bedliner was a big plus for the buyer and made for an easy sale.

I've seen quite a few DIY liners, and they just don't compare to the pro-grade ones. Thinner and less durable, they look ok as long as you never use them.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
This is how I see it.
Plastic drop in:
Pro: Cost
Con: Everything slides around

Spary in:
Pro: things stay in place. Look good!
Con: Cost

This being said. I did a drop in because we won't be putting anything in the bed (bed wasn't painted to match). I may eventually change it out.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Easton did Raptor from scamazon for about $250 with the color tint. That was almost 2 years ago and it still looks great even though he hauls all his lawn equipment to mow yards. He is satisfied.

Randy and E

Attachments

• IMG_6235.jpeg
    IMG_6235.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6239.jpeg
    IMG_6239.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6245.jpeg
    IMG_6245.jpeg
    215.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6252.jpeg
    IMG_6252.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 44

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've used both the DIY bed liner and had one sprayed. My opinion is that if your aim is to build a high end truck, don't do it. Don't put any sort of liner in. Or, throw a rubber bed mat in on the days you head to the home improvement store.
If you are using your truck as a daily driver and you want it to do truck things, the spray in stuff is fine. The signs of a work truck or a daily driver, are nicks, dings and wear from use, and spray in liners will hold up as well as the rest of the truck.
If you have a beater and a bottom dollar budget, just grab a Can O' Bed Liner and a roller from Walmart or Harbor Freight and send it. There is no shame in that at all.
I have found the only good use for the plastic bed liners were to cover up really rusted out OEM beds that were nearly non functional without one.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Spray in all the way. I've pulled several drop ins out only to find damage/paint rub through or trapped crap underneath and rust. Properly prepped and a quality product will ensure a long life of a good looking spray in liner. Most companies offer tinting options as well if you want a particular color

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
As far as the lower tie downs I used a u-bolt on the corners of the bed. I put a slight bend in them to make it a little easier to use. The rear ones I removed the taillight to gain access to the nuts. One of the best most useful things I’ve ever done to the truck.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
As far as the lower tie downs I used a u-bolt on the corners of the bed. I put a slight bend in them to make it a little easier to use. The rear ones I removed the taillight to gain access to the nuts. One of the best most useful things I’ve ever done to the truck.

I've got rear tie downs like that, I may steal that idea for the fronts. I have some on each side of my toolbox but it's not always in the truck

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I replaced the bottom bolts on the front bed panel with eye bolts, for a low attachment point.

The plastic bed liners tent to cause rust issues.

Years ago I was driving on Loop 610 in Houston in my 79 Camaro, when I saw a plastic bed liner that came out of a pickup, flying in the air about 40 yards ahead of me and heading my way.
I punched it and watched in my mirror as it barely missed my rear spoiler, and a big pile-up of cars behind me.
Thanks for that. I was specifically wondering about how the bed would weather under a plastic liner if moisture got in there.

C10_Blackie

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've had both. The plastic drop-in liner did far more damage than it prevented. Dirt and sand gets underneath them where it acts like sandpaper, removing paint, then moisture collects in the dirt causing rust. It did the same thing along the top of the bed rails where the liner wraps over the edge. As mentioned above, they're slick and things slide around unless tied down.

The spray-in liner was done by a shop. It was pretty thick, probably 3/16" or so, and was really durable. I didn't notice a battery had fallen over in the bed and it laid there all-day dripping acid. Cleaned it up, and the only damage was a slight discoloration of the material. It didn't eat into the liner at all. I remember the installer telling me that decades from now, that truck would probably be a rusted hulk sitting in a scrap yard with a perfect bed attached. I believe him. When I sold the truck, the bedliner was a big plus for the buyer and made for an easy sale.

I've seen quite a few DIY liners, and they just don't compare to the pro-grade ones. Thinner and less durable, they look ok as long as you never use them.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards Line-X with the UV protection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe