DIY spray coatings “garage test” review- Dupli-Color Sound Dampening, Dupli-Color Truck Bedliner, Rugged Restore Barricade Truck Bedliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlazerBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Review of “garage test” of 3 DIY automotive spray coatings without “lab standards” applied on non coated/non prepped sheet metal.
Dupli-Color (“DC” from here on) Premium Undercoating/ Sound Dampening/“High-Build Formula/ Protective, Paintable Rubberized Finish/ Solvent Based”, 15 ounce spray can, does not specify how much area it will cover. First spray coat- round raised texture higher than “DC Truck Bed” coating and Barricade. Second coat- more uniform round raised but smoother texture (not gritty). Third coat- building more thickness.

DC Truck Bed Coating/ “Resists Fading and Chipping, Flexible, Abrasion and Impact Resistant/ Black Textured Finish/ Solvent Based”, 15 ounce spray can, does not specify how much area it will cover. First spray coat- uniform fine (about) 220 grit low build texture. Second coat- more uniform and smoother texture (less gritty). Third coat- even smoother texture than second coat.

Rugged Restore Barricade Sprayable Ultimate Bedliner Coating/ “Insulates/ Long Lasting Protection From Corrosion and Abrasion/ Can be brushed or rolled on/ Water Based”, 32 ounces (1 quart) container states will cover 12 square feet but does not state how thick it will cover the area. Can be applied by brush, roller and sprayed on with their recommended spray gun. First brushed coat (used chip brush to apply)- very fine (about) 220 grit uniform texture. Second coat- more uniform smoother coat (less gritty). Third coat- still a little gritty and thin texture. Best results probably obtained from spray or roll on application.

Criteria/ Results
High build thickness:
DC Sound Dampening- best/soft
Barricade- better/hard
DC Truck Bed Coating- worst/hard

Scratch resistance:
Barricade- best
DC Truck Bed- better
DC Sound Dampening- worst

Chip resistance:
Barricade- best
DC Sound- better
DC Truck Bedliner- worst

Impact resistance:
Barricade- best
DC Sound- better
DC Truck Bedliner- worst

Texture:
DC Sound- softer/ smoother/ higher build.
DC Truck Bedliner- minimal texture, thinnest, flat.
Barricade- slightly gritty, flat, thinner

5 personal requirement tests (coatings not advertised for these requirements):
1.) 80 grit sand-able to smooth finish:
DC Sound- worst
DC Truck Bedliner- best/smoothest
Barricade- better, smoother

2.) Solvent/ gas resistance:
Barricade- best
DC Truck- better
DC Sound- worst

3.) Ease of intentional removal of coating:
All three coatings can be scraped off with stiff narrow hand tools with moderate effort or with power tools.

4.) Test to see if coatings could be used to level uneven body metal:
Neither coatings are self leveling. The DC Sound Dampening coating is likely the most effective at filling small area shallow dents or depressions due to its high build characteristic but would require a lot of it to fill say a 1 square inch/ 1/4” deep depression and would also be soft to the touch with minimal pressure applied.

5.) Thickness test
After applying 5 coats, the coatings “built up” between a 1/16” to 1/8” thick offsetting any necessity to purchase more product to obtain mostly negligible additional thickness.

Summary
Ultimately, only the 2 coatings that are specified to be used as truck bedliners should be compared to each other. The DC sound dampening coating should not be compared to the DC and Barricade truck bedliner coatings as the sound dampening performs more in line with its advertised intended purpose. My primary objective was to test how these 3 coatings would meet more universal requirements in addition to their advertised purpose. In my opinion through my “garage testing”, I don’t believe the Dupli-Color Undercoating/Sound Dampening can be sprayed thick enough to be effective at dampening sound and would take many spray cans to build the thickness up enough to have a noticeable dampening of sound on a larger surface such as in a car door interior where sound dampening material is typically applied. There would be no point that I can think of, in applying it on a small surface for the advertised purpose. There are better materials for this.

The Dupli-Color Truck Bed coating chips, scratches and dents too easily to be used on a truck bed. I cannot think of any surface that I would use this coating on that is susceptible to coming in contact with items of virtually any shape, size or weight that would be put into a truck bed that would likely damage the coating.

The Barricade Bedliner seems to be best suited for its advertised purpose in addition to more universal purposes. Although it still suffered test damage it seems the most resistant to scratches, dents and gouges however it has a slightly gritty texture that may hold dirt and grime making it more difficult to clean. I believe it would hold up well to non- direct pressure washing but pressure washing was not tested. It can also be built up about as thick as the Dupli-Color Sound Dampening coating with about the same amount of coats. In addition, the Barricade Bedliner is sold in 32oz (1 quart) sizes and will cover 12 square feet. The Dupli-Color spray coatings do not specify how much area they will cover but I doubt the 15oz spray cans would cover 12 square feet perhaps unless sprayed very, very thinly, defeating its intent. Basically, by the time you bought enough sprays cans of either DC coatings to be somewhat effective at their advertised purpose, you would have spent more money than on Barricade. The Barricade coating will serve the same purposes as the two other DC spray coatings with better performance. It also meets my own overall personal/ universal criteria better than the DC coatings, covers more area and provides the option to brush, roll or spray on and at a competitive cost per ounce.

Barricade: 32oz quart container at $34.99 (Amazon)= $1.09/oz and covers 12 square feet.

DC Premium Sound Deadening Coating: 15oz spray can at $14.99 (Amazon)= .99/oz. Coating coverage is not advertised.

DC Premium Truck Bedliner Coating:
15oz spray can at $19.99 (Amazon)= $1.33/oz. Coating coverage area is not advertised.

Disclaimer, I am not compensated in any way by either of the product manufacturers for “garage testing” by me and serves as a reference only. Individual results may vary. I could only post 5 photos. Hope this info helps! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8448.jpeg
    IMG_8448.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8447.jpeg
    IMG_8447.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8428.jpeg
    IMG_8428.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8429.jpeg
    IMG_8429.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 19

Jawzjeep

Honk if parts fall off
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Cool testing. I like to find other uses for things too. Been toying with different kinds of mastic.

Im a painter. If a product offers itself in multiple versions for like a roll on, aerosol, brush on or conventional spray then each product will be a little different.

Bedliner is a great example. Roll/brush on is way thicker and leaves a much thicker coating then an aerosol can. They cant put too much pressure in the aerosol can so it has to be thinned waaaay down to even work. Whats left when dry and all the carriers and thinners are evaporated will be so thin compared to a roll/brush on that you'd need more coats to have the same dry mils. And a certain amount of dry mils might be required to realize full performance or durability.

They sell these stupid things called prevails in a residential paint store. Its a baby food jar with a screw on aerosol cartridge and a straw. Tried em for the hell of it and the ratio was so bad it was colored thinner and sucked worse than a poofcan. Sorry, side rant is over. YMMV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad