Mini spool vs lunchbox locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Got the lift done and new tires are comin. Now I'm looking to get even more traction up front. Have been looking into a mini spool or a lunchbox locker, any thoughts? And which are easier to install?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd like the lunchbox locker better myself. This way you do have a chance of breakway instead of breaking an axle or U joint. Something has to give and let's face it, 10 bolt or Dana 44 isn't the strongest units so I'd prefer my carrier to breakaway first. Chances are if you're on dirt , mud, gravel, snow or ice, and maybe even wet pavement, it's not going to breakaway anyway. The tires will just slip and carry on. The mini spool is full time locked up and doesn't break away at all. C4 has said to weld spiders and then just lock in 1 hub in situations where you might break an axle. True that will work too but I'd rather just have both locked in and if one axle needs to breakaway for a sharp turn or on some hard dirt where you have good traction then it can do so.
The other thing to consider, it how big of a tire you're running and how much horsepower??? I'd imagine you're going to be OK on dirt, gravel, mud or loose surfaces, but for example. LockRight lockers are rated up to 35in tire or 350hp. Granted, that's on dry pavement. I've heard the Yukon lunchbox doesn't even hold up well to 35in or 350hp. It's more less for an OEM application and has great results that way.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
mini spool is locked all the time, and IMO no way you could turn good or drive on the road.

the locker I'm unfamilar with, esp a lunchbox on? never heard of it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Lunchbox lockers sound like something is wrong when you're on the throttle and it is engaging and disengaging like in a mud pit. A mini-spool is nearly impossible to steer in 4wd, even in loose soil you'll have to nickel and dime turns. A posi, air or e-locker would be the best way to go, and I'm leaning more towards posi every day.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lunchbox locker is like the LockRight. Something you can install in an open diff by taking out the spider gears and installing the Locker. Lockright by Richmond gear is one, and Yukon gear makes one. Lunchbox is just a slang name for locker that doesn't require carrier swap.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lunchbox lockers sound like something is wrong when you're on the throttle and it is engaging and disengaging like in a mud pit. A mini-spool is nearly impossible to steer in 4wd, even in loose soil you'll have to nickel and dime turns. A posi, air or e-locker would be the best way to go, and I'm leaning more towards posi every day.

All lockers are noisy, even the non lunchbox type like Detroit Locker. But they work great. Usually with headers, you don't even hear the noise. Normally noisy when you get off or on the throttle, backing up, or making a turn and that's about it. In a mud pit, it should stay locked up and not make any noise. :shrug:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
From what I've heard, lunchbox lockers in a mud pit are very noisy, they kick in side to side depending on which wheel has traction and it sounds like the pins are getting sheared, or at the very least heavily chewed on. Many of the full carrier style lockers advertising buzz words are "smooth, quiet operation".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
From what I've heard, lunchbox lockers in a mud pit are very noisy, they kick in side to side depending on which wheel has traction and it sounds like the pins are getting sheared, or at the very least heavily chewed on. Many of the full carrier style lockers advertising buzz words are "smooth, quiet operation".

hmmm wierd. Shouldn't matter which wheel has traction in a locker. Locked is locked. I know Detroil Locker is Noisy. Richmond PowerTraxx makes one they claim is quite.
I'm going to use that ARB Air Locker in front of my K1500 only cuz the price was right. FREE !!! But I think I'd rather have a Locker in the rear and Limited Slip Diff in the front. And I won't do Lincoln Locker at all. I guess for a rear locker, the ARB air would be OK, but even on solid dirt to make turns, I don't want to be turning a switch off and on. Rear would be OK though. Get to your hole or hill, lock in the front hubs, turn on your rear air locker and go.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have a Powertrax No-Slip in my front diff and it's dead quiet, I can't even hear it with the windows rolled down. Haven't put it through any extreme use yet but so far so good. There is some torque steer, but I would compare it to what you experience with hard acceleration in a front wheel drive car. Installation required pulling the axles out a few inches so you have to remove everything on the ends of the axles first, but overall it was fairly easy.

I trolled through many forums before I bought mine and most of the negative comments were from guys that have never even owned a Powertrax locker. If I had more cash than I know what to do with I would have installed an air locker, but I figured I could risk a couple hundred dollars on a lunchbox locker before laying out big bucks for something else.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yours is the one I mentioned that Powertraxx claims is quiet. I think it's about $100 more than the LockRight isn't it?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
mini spool is locked all the time, and IMO no way you could turn good or drive on the road.

Well I don't plan on driving on road in 4wd... So that wont be a problem, this is for my front diff. But my understanding of a lunchbox locker is that it engages when power is applied. So the lunchbox would act the same as a spool as long as you're not coasting.

Now when it comes to power I won't be having 300 horsepower any time soon, and I will the running 33s. But I am still leaning towards the mini spool because it is cheap and simple. And as far as turning being affected the only time I would have it in 4wd would be when I want it locked anyway so it would serve me the same as any fancy air locker but for cheap

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350

I have also read that a spool isnt good for mud pit runs because of the steering but is good for the trail

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have also read that a spool isnt good for mud pit runs because of the steering but is good for the trail

I'd have to say in theory, that is backwards. In mud as in racing or even going thru a hole, your wheels are just spinning and biting on all they can to move forward, so steering to get thru isn't near as important as driving a trail, especially a trail that's gonna have some sharp turns. You won't make sharp turns with a mini spool on trials. You'll likely be forced to get out and unlock a hub on the outside wheel. I'd still go with the lunchbox locker if you're wanting cheap. IF noise scares you then go with the one Sky mentioned. I'm really thinking I'd prefer to have Limited Slip up front and Locker in the rear.
What's the cost difference in a mini spool and the Noisy LockRight?
You could always go the mini spool and just lock in 1 hub as C4 has suggested in the past. In the event you get into a situation you need both, get out and lock the other in.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
They call it "lunchbox" because it is not a full carrier locker, you just remove your spiders and sides and slip in the locker. Much like putting the little soup thermos in a lunchbox back in gradeschool. Well, when I was a kid lol.

Mud pit racing a locker or spool is not a good thing. It kicks you all around and it's hard to keep your run straight when under throttle. But just mudding it is very nice to have all 4 pulling at the same time. I'm in the same boat as you, dont want to spend a thousand dollars for an air- or e-locker, first time an axle seal failed and mud ruined the locker I would be beyond pissed. I'm a gnat's ass from lincoln locking the front and just unlock the driver's hub.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If all of that is true, then you do need an LSD unit up front. They aren't a thousand. Go with that Auburn unit. It's a good LSD unit. Detroit Locker in the rear, and Auburn LSD up front should be a good combo. Eaton makes a decent LSD unit too. Not the Gov Bomb of course. What LSD unit is used in the 1028 CUCV's? I know it's a LSD unit in the Dana 60's on those models.

I still think the lunchbox locker is the better choice for this, sounding close to OEM motor and just over stock size tire. Either the Lock Right noisy one of the one skysurfer is using. The quieter one. Powertraxx NO Slip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1