Is a 2wd 4L60E worth the trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP ON THIS 4L60E CRAP-ALL OF THEM ARE BREAKING AND GOING OUT..but you cant figure out..why they broke..THEY ARE ALL DEFECTIVE

CANT YOU GET THAT..gm spent years trying to straighten them out.even changing to another transmission..the 4l80e.why..the 4l60e.could not be.made right..when you pull one apart.you do not know what is in it..or what has been changed out..

you will have to eye ball each part and look up the upgraded parts.on line.why do you think.they had to come out with all the upgraded parts.for the 4l60e.from front to back

but what will it cost you too..buy each part.it would make more sense.to buy a built 4l80e-it holds more fluid.i would buy that electric cooler set up..i am sure they run high temps..

i do not know.anything about the new ones.if the heat and oiling problems are gone.i am sure.they have every up graded part that could be.put in them.i do not know if they are adaptable..to what we have..

i would put my money..in a built tb400 trans..short shaft.if you get too many rpm,s you can change out the rear gears..

you could get a 4l60e.from some where.strip it down..and it may look good.because.some time before you got it.some parts were replaced in it.will you be able.to tell the new stuff from the old.if you are not a rebuilder.

i bet not.i know one thing..FOR SURE.if you build one.of these defective trans..you better.know what you are doing for real..front to back..do not fail too buy it all..the replacement parts..or you are going to just throw..all your dollars..that you put in it..away.

one little...part-will trash your work..

Hate to say it Wheelie, but you're way off on the wrong foot here. The 4L80-E was not made cuz the 4L60-E was junk. There was no switch to another trans. The 4l60-E is for passenger cars and 1/2 ton trucks, as was the Th350, and the 4L80-E is for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks as was the Th400. And NO, adding taller gears does NOT help your mpg at all in city. A lower gear will get your vehicle taking off from a stop light much quicker. When the Gubment put strickter EPA standards and higher mpg of their total overal fleet, lock up converters came about. Then the overdrive transmissions came about. I will be first to admit that the 700r4 and 4L60-E have their weaknesses, but I'll assure you. One can be built to easily withstand 500hp, and with some work 700hp. You won't get a Th350 to hold up that kind of horsepower right out of the GM box either. I see your point, but I think your pushin over the deep end. :patriot:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i just watched that you tube tear down.of the 4l60e trans..there are a lot of parts in that trans..i did not see where the case had any wear.i want to see the tear down for the 4l80e.see what that looks like..i know in anything..too many moving parts..is not good..and the thing even has electronics..in the pan

i want to see what the new replacement looks like..not sure what they call it..i liked the way the guy took a screw driver to the seals.in stead of using a seal puller..thought that was funny..high tech stuff there..

How can you possibly have a transmission without alot of moving parts? Today, we have the CVT in some models which will have less moving parts but it depends on a rubber band to connect geers and slides up and down a cone. Now that really sounds durable !!! :shitsweak: If you've ever taken a look or considered the theory and operation of an auto trans, its quite fascinating. Even manual transmisison have moving parts, and they also wear, like thrust washers and snychros.

I don't know a single trans builder that has not and does not use their own homemade tools for transmisisons. Why buy a seal puller when a screwdriver works just as well? I've never used a seal puller in my life, and I've built many many transmissons. I also put seals in with a ball pean hammer. I don't use the speacial seal installer tools. Waste of money. Now if I was racing to see who could build a transmisison faster, I might want those $100 set of seal installers to save the 1 1/2 minute per build. But, I won't race putting a trans together. That's how mistakes are made. Not to mention, I have other more important tools to take up space in my tool box.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
doing what ever in side the trans..to get rid of heat.is a good thing..the fluid temps are high..burning up the trans fluid.if i ever put money.in a total rebuild of one.i would put out the money for that trans cooler that has the electric fan on it..i watched..on utube.monster transmissions..they seem to know what they are doing..800-708-0087 they have some great prices.on there rebuilt trans..watch there videos..a 700r4 has no electronics.a built 700r4.would be the trans.if you needed over drive.i like the 400 short shaft.but there is no over drive..over drive is a gas saver..

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
all so i seen.where they replaced.a 350trans with a 700r4..and you do not have to change the column...you just do not have low on the column you cant shift down in to one..the drive shaft has to be cut and balanced

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
doing what ever in side the trans..to get rid of heat.is a good thing..the fluid temps are high..burning up the trans fluid.if i ever put money.in a total rebuild of one.i would put out the money for that trans cooler that has the electric fan on it..i watched..on utube.monster transmissions..they seem to know what they are doing..800-708-0087 they have some great prices.on there rebuilt trans..watch there videos..a 700r4 has no electronics.a built 700r4.would be the trans.if you needed over drive.i like the 400 short shaft.but there is no over drive..over drive is a gas saver..

Wait a second.. Let me confirm what you are saying.. 700R4 is an awesome tranny, but 4L60E is total junk..

Ok.

To the builders here, I want to clarify something on the spring question:

Back to my question about the springs on the 3-4 clutch pack. Let's say the tension was taken out of the springs a bit from the heat.. Apparently, it used to be recommended to remove the springs altogether, so at worst, if the springs are weaker, it would be as though there weren't any springs at all, something that used to be reccomended? I am kinda pressed for time, if you can give me a compelling reason to purchase release springs new, and wait for the shipping, etc I will, but snow will be flying soon, and I will have to be laying on the ground outside to re-install this tranny if I wait too much longer. I have arranged to spend some time on it tonight, won't have this weekend to work on it, so if I wait on the springs, I won't be able to put it all back together till the following weekend. I was hoping to be re-installing the transmission into the vehicle by then.

If I decide to proceed without buying new release springs, would I be better off leaving them out, or simply re-installing them? Is there any way that having the used ones in there can be worse than leaving them out altogether?

Thanks for any advice.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You must be registered for see images attach

With all the bad info posted in this thread I'm going to have to put the whole thread on ignore I think....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
if some of the people that claim to be rebuilding these defective transmissions..at home or where ever.were really any good..they would not even be messing with the defective junk..they would not touch it..if they were any good..they would be some where.taking care of the new transmissions that are out..when we are only getting fifty thousand-one hundred thousand miles.out of a transmission..that tells you that it is junk..my chevy conversion van..is on the third..4l60e with only 140,000..they were and are junk..

they came out with the 4l80e.to help take some of the pressure.that the dealers were going through..with so many vehicles coming in with the transmissions..gone out at low miles..they were swamped..

if you care to look it up..what is out there from GM themselves.it will tell you..about the internal oiling problem.that they had for years and that they could not correct it..the parts were not getting enough oil..

so the cheap defective parts.stripped or broke.every time that they could.they upgraded the parts..but at first.there were no up graded parts.that took some time too come about.to do a 4l60e..you got too just about change out.every part in it.from front too back..

i think it is stupid.that they.even.had the nerve..to put.electrics..in to the transmission.like that..i think it is the craziest thing ever.to have a vehicle.that is controlled by electronics -and not the driver any way..and i got two of such vehicles.

but i went out and bought.two old trucks..to back them up.because.something all ways.breaks on them.electronic vehicles are just money pitts..the new vehicles.have digital dashes.you have a little fender bender.and it knocks out that digital dash.they total your vehicle.

so what does that tell you.is the vehicle mfg,s in with the insurance corporations..totaling vehicles..so you have to go buy another one..loose what you have in your vehicle.i wonder..you know insurance corps are not going to stand by and let something be built..that they lose money on..

so i assume that they are making money..off of totaling out the vehicle..

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You must be registered for see images attach

With all the bad info posted in this thread I'm going to have to put the whole thread on ignore I think....

There may be some bad info, but for the most part I think its a healthy discussion. As I said previously, even builders will have disagreements about how they build their transmissions, but it does not mean its bad info because 2 builders do different things to remedy certian problems. The builders do agree there is problem that needs attention, it how its handeled is different. The little bad info that is here, I think has been corrected by several members. You'd only be cheating yourself out of an education about the subject if you ignored the thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so its up to you to decide who you feel is credible and who is not, or which part of the build makes sense to you where builders handle problems differently. :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I don't have problem with the healthy discussion and I have learned some stuff from this thread but there are a few that are posting and aren't interested in learning and correcting some of the bad information that they have in their head. They're just continuing to post and argue their bad points rather than learning from those that are more knowledgeable. I'll be the first to admit I am NO transmission expert but I know enough of the basics to know when someone is posting some grossly erroneous info and I'd hate for someone brand new to this hobby to read some of those posts and then fill THEIR head with the same bad jibberish... :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't have problem with the healthy discussion and I have learned some stuff from this thread but there are a few that are posting and aren't interested in learning and correcting some of the bad information that they have in their head. They're just continuing to post and argue their bad points rather than learning from those that are more knowledgeable. I'll be the first to admit I am NO transmission expert but I know enough of the basics to know when someone is posting some grossly erroneous info and I'd hate for someone brand new to this hobby to read some of those posts and then fill THEIR head with the same bad jibberish... :shrug:

Agreed. Some just can't be persuaded you know. :Sumo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
if some of the people that claim to be rebuilding these defective transmissions..at home or where ever.were really any good..they would not even be messing with the defective junk..they would not touch it..if they were any good..they would be some where.taking care of the new transmissions that are out..when we are only getting fifty thousand-one hundred thousand miles.out of a transmission..that tells you that it is junk..my chevy conversion van..is on the third..4l60e with only 140,000..they were and are junk..

they came out with the 4l80e.to help take some of the pressure.that the dealers were going through..with so many vehicles coming in with the transmissions..gone out at low miles..they were swamped..

if you care to look it up..what is out there from GM themselves.it will tell you..about the internal oiling problem.that they had for years and that they could not correct it..the parts were not getting enough oil..

so the cheap defective parts.stripped or broke.every time that they could.they upgraded the parts..but at first.there were no up graded parts.that took some time too come about.to do a 4l60e..you got too just about change out.every part in it.from front too back..

i think it is stupid.that they.even.had the nerve..to put.electrics..in to the transmission.like that..i think it is the craziest thing ever.to have a vehicle.that is controlled by electronics -and not the driver any way..and i got two of such vehicles.

but i went out and bought.two old trucks..to back them up.because.something all ways.breaks on them.electronic vehicles are just money pitts..the new vehicles.have digital dashes.you have a little fender bender.and it knocks out that digital dash.they total your vehicle.

so what does that tell you.is the vehicle mfg,s in with the insurance corporations..totaling vehicles..so you have to go buy another one..loose what you have in your vehicle.i wonder..you know insurance corps are not going to stand by and let something be built..that they lose money on..

so i assume that they are making money..off of totaling out the vehicle..

I know its not common enough, I know of at least 2 4L60-E's that have well over 150,000 miles on them, and those are OEM off the lot builds. One is in a 2002 Chevy Truck, and I think the other is an 03 or 04 Tahoe.

Again, the 4L80-E did NOT come out to replace the 4L60-E. The 4L80-E came out for the answer to applications like 3/4 and 1 ton trucks that normally ran a Th400 to now run an overdrive transmission. Do you realize what would happen if you ran a 4L80-E behind a V6 that normally has a 4L60-E? The thing would be a sled and its mpg would be horrible. The V6 motor would spend more effort just to operate the transmission than it would to propel a car.

That parts in a 4L60-E are NOT cheap and defective. There are parts that are of bad design. Many of the parts go bad due to a domino effect. One part goes bad, it causes others to go bad. So if you redesign one part, then other parts a good enough just as they are.

Without doubt, electronics IS the way to go. Technology has come a very long way, and without it, vehicles wouldn't have the mpg, the lower emmisions and the horsepower/torque they do without electronics. Do you think top fuel dragsters are concerned about emissions and mpg? NOPE. But they use electronics now too, as does Nascar. Why??? Because it improves effeciency and horsepower.

Many cars are totalled by a fender bender. Not because it can't be put back together at a reasonable price, but because insurance companies won't take the liability of the repair. Do you think they care? No they don't. Our insurance premiums take care of that. You can take a $60,000 SUV, it has a minor rear end collison and hits a car in front of it, the driver side air bag deploys, the SUV is now totalled. Might only be $5000-$8000 to repair it, but its totalled because the insurance co is not takiing liability for the air bag repair. So its gets sold to a dismantler who will probably fix it and resell it. The dismantler is the one who makes a killing.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size

Please accept my heartfelt apology if I have contributed to your frustration.

I want to learn more, this is why I ask what may be to some dumb questions.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn: