Is a 2wd 4L60E worth the trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
many words.....hrpc haz 'em.....
You must be registered for see images attach

I rather enjoy reading his introspections... :Moon:

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Wow.....I didn't mean to start anything :)

I know that the 4L60E's have their weaknesses, but also that they can be made into very good transmissions.

Both of my '95 Caprices have Stage III units I got from Carolina Performance Transmission.

The '96 tranny I have is stock and original to the vehicle. It was working without any problems and when it did do some towing, it was never in OD.

I'm under a bit of pressure to keep the costs down on this project, and using what I already have on hand would be a big help, but I'm thinking that maybe in this case I should look at using something else.

So, what should I go hunting for on my next trip to the yard?
It would be mated to a '96 LT-1 and PCM (i.e. 100% OBD2)...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I rather enjoy reading his introspections... :Moon:

My A.D.D. kicks in and I start chasing butterflies in my head and forget what I'm reading :crazy:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow.....I didn't mean to start anything :)

I know that the 4L60E's have their weaknesses, but also that they can be made into very good transmissions.

Both of my '95 Caprices have Stage III units I got from Carolina Performance Transmission.

The '96 tranny I have is stock and original to the vehicle. It was working without any problems and when it did do some towing, it was never in OD.

I'm under a bit of pressure to keep the costs down on this project, and using what I already have on hand would be a big help, but I'm thinking that maybe in this case I should look at using something else.

So, what should I go hunting for on my next trip to the yard?
It would be mated to a '96 LT-1 and PCM (i.e. 100% OBD2)...

Yep you started it buddy !!! But, sometimes there are necessary evils that end up being a good education in the long run. That's what forums are for right? Sharing ideas with people that have the same passions as yourself, and learing and sharing tips and tricks. This is the kind of **** you don't find in text books, so its all good. Don't sweat it. :waytogo:

If you intend to keep the trans E controlled off the ECM, then I think you're going in the right direction. If you are going to go with an old school trans, then yes you might consider other options.

StuB

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Around here, every gas station you go to has the "contains up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump.

I think that a computer controlled motor will run better for me (or at least more consistantly) no matter what the ethanol percentage is at the pump.

If I can't find a 4x4 electronic transmission for the LT-1 that is an "easy" swap, then I'll just keep the Jasper 350 and the TH350 in it, since it ran pretty good before the meltdown.

Meant to add....the 4L60E that I have is a 4 bolt, which is why I was thinking it could just bolt right up to the the transfer case.

Last edited:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Around here, every gas station you go to has the "contains up to 10% ethanol" sticker on the pump.

I think that a computer controlled motor will run better for me (or at least more consistantly) no matter what the ethanol percentage is at the pump.

If I can't find a 4x4 electronic transmission for the LT-1 that is an "easy" swap, then I'll just keep the Jasper 350 and the TH350 in it, since it ran pretty good before the meltdown.

Meant to add....the 4L60E that I have is a 4 bolt, which is why I was thinking it could just bolt right up to the the transfer case.

it would bolt right up as long as the adapter is the same bolt pattern and you put a 4X4 output shaft in it.

I think I may have an extra 4X4 output shaft if your needing one. Also I have some videos posted on here showing how to tear down and inspect the 4L60E Transmission, If you watch the videos you will see just how far you really have to tear it open to replace the output shaft.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I don't have too much experience building trannys, I have rebuilt a few manual ones, and I used to work for a transmission shop where I was the guy who removed the transmission, tore it down, put the parts in the cleaner, and re-installed it for the builder, and then he'd test drive it with the gadgets and doohickies to make sure his pressure was good, etc..

I also worked for Catco rebuilding rear ends and Transmissions for over the road trucks, again, mostly in the teardown. Ended up breaking a finger ther when a chain hoist gave way and a differential carrier fell on my hand. The hook broke clean off, and I was wearing gloves, and was a fraid to take my glove off because it felt like my finger wasn't attached anymore..

This 4L60E is my first full rebuild, though I tend to do a lot of research on the stuff before I tackle something. I am currently a computer hardware technician, I repair and maintain the network, the switches, the printers, the telephones, fax machines, and computers for a private college campus, so I am used to taking things into bitty pieces and putting them back together again.

Anyhow, My reading on the 4L60E and memory about the 700r4 matches up with the 3-4 being a problem area. Many fixes have been tried, but I liked PATC's explanation best, so I went with the Alto Red clutches with Kolene steels (apparently the Kolene doesn't warp as easy with the heat, reducing the risk of coning- which is exactly what my 3-4 pack did) the separator plate issue I remember with a lot of tranny's (ahem, Dodge Caravan) and pressure drops from wear in bores of valve bodies being a common occurance, along with Sonnax pretty much having a solution to almost all of them.

Check out PATC's website, they have a lot of info on upgrading tranny's, and a fairly decent pricing. I for example got the master rebuild kit with steels and clutches, and Alto Red for the 3-4 for $160. They really explain things well I thought. The why you'd do this rather than that stuff for example.

In my research, I found that ATSG no longer recommends to remove the return springs on the 3-4 pack, since it tends to cause dragging of the clutches, and slow release (as you mentioned) which is sorta like riding the clutch in a manual. Another common cause is the check ball going from the servo into the 3-4 leaking.

So, in short, I've torn a few apart, put some back together, had them work, but never as a "pro". I am fine with doing my own stuff, but reluctant to do things like this for others for money. If someone wants me to help them, I will,but when I start charging, then there's an expectation that I will drop everything and make it right, which I cannot do, so if they aren't out anything, I will get to it when I can, but it seems to keep my life a bit less dramatic this way. Though, you do still get the occasional jerk who's mad because the free work you did for them on their car didn't catch ALL of the things wrong with their car, even though you said to be safe, you'd do this, and they declined.. That's a whole different story I guess LOL..

Stub, my recommendation, if you really wanna keep your engine and electronic shifting, go to a u pull it, get a 96 or newer Suburban, or Tahoe, etc and pull the tranny out of that. Keep yours for parts and stuff. IF you watch that video, and feel brave enough to tear down the tranny to change the tail shaft, you probably can do that too, It isn't rocket science, even though the Haynes manuals and so forth try to make it out to be some sort of magic, it's just parts that spin and move and slide, just like every other part on your vehicle.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It will all bolt up Stub, but your driveshaft will need to be shortened about 1 1/2 inch since the Th350 is shorter. Also, what Tcase are you running? I'm going to assume its an NP208? What will you do for the VSS in the Tcase? Sounds to me you might need the NP241C with the VSS. The NP241C comes both ways. As its been said here before, the one you'll need is more rare.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for the heads up on the release springs Christian. I was not aware ATSG recanted on that. If ATSG says they're needed, then I say they're needed. ATSG does very thorough testing and engineering on auto transmissions, so in most cases I treat what they say as gold. Also a good reason to keep the latest copyrighted ATSG manuals on hand.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Thanks for the heads up on the release springs Christian. I was not aware ATSG recanted on that. If ATSG says they're needed, then I say they're needed. ATSG does very thorough testing and engineering on auto transmissions, so in most cases I treat what they say as gold. Also a good reason to keep the latest copyrighted ATSG manuals on hand.

HEY ****** NOW YOUR FINALLY GONNA COME AROUND TO MY WAY OF THINKING. :Moon:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
HEY ****** NOW YOUR FINALLY GONNA COME AROUND TO MY WAY OF THINKING. :Moon:

As I said above ******, I never said you were wrong. Technology changes, and I change with technology. I will agree with you on another thing about these springs, I wil not reuse them. I will also buy new ones. If they are necessary, I want to make sure they are good and doing their job. So now, go fugg yourself !!! :flipthebird:

See what I mean Christian, even builders can disagree !!! :High 5:

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
OLP and hrpc just need to kiss and make up already :shrug:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
As I said above ******, I never said you were wrong. Technology changes, and I change with technology. I will agree with you on another thing about these springs, I wil not reuse them. I will also buy new ones. If they are necessary, I want to make sure they are good and doing their job. So now, go fugg yourself !!! :flipthebird:

See what I mean Christian, even builders can disagree !!! :High 5:

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

LMAO

Hey ****** you dont just replace the springs with new ones, use the ones from sonnex

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
LMAO

Hey ****** you dont just replace the springs with new ones, use the ones from sonnex

Yes, new ones from Sonnax. Not the wore out OEM ones you pull out of the trans. I get it. But I'll still use the Alto Comercial Pack with Kolene Steels and Red Alto clutches.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Yes, new ones from Sonnax. Not the wore out OEM ones you pull out of the trans. I get it. But I'll still use the Alto Comercial Pack with Kolene Steels and Red Alto clutches.

lol cant teach an old dog new tricks. NAW the Alto is a good pack just not my Preference, You actually dont get as much clutch surface pack with the alto as you do the Z pak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wacky