Harbor Freight Tool/Product Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Anybody got a press from HF? I've been thinking about picking one up and setting up new gears in my 84'. I'll need a press for installing and removing the pinion bearing.

If that's all you need it for, don't buy it. It'll be taking up valuable space in your shop or garage. They are good though. I know 2 people that have them. 1 guy even fitted his with an air 20 ton jack and that damn thing can bend our L arms back to straight on your wheel lifts when we bend one, and those bitches are heavy ass thick steel. So yeah, the 2 I know that have them are very happy with them. The jacks aren't the best, but the rest of it is just fine.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
If that's all you need it for, don't buy it. It'll be taking up valuable space in your shop or garage. They are good though. I know 2 people that have them. 1 guy even fitted his with an air 20 ton jack and that damn thing can bend our L arms back to straight on your wheel lifts when we bend one, and those bitches are heavy ass thick steel. So yeah, the 2 I know that have them are very happy with them. The jacks aren't the best, but the rest of it is just fine.

Good deal. I've got a few other things I'll be using it for, so it's probably worth the small investment.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good deal. I've got a few other things I'll be using it for, so it's probably worth the small investment.

I thought about one too for the same reason and pretty much talked myself out of it. Of course I'm broke as **** as usual and need other things, so it's not a necessity for me. The 20 ton is on sale right now with a super coupon for $149 which is 50% of their retail price.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I thought about one too for the same reason and pretty much talked myself out of it. Of course I'm broke as **** as usual and need other things, so it's not a necessity for me. The 20 ton is on sale right now with a super coupon for $149 which is 50% of their retail price.

Yeah that is a good deal on that press. I have looked at them for years. They used to run $230. I would love to have one. Some day.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a harbor freight cherry picker I assume that dad bought at an auction for 20$ and the cylinder is bout out of it
Would it be Cheaper to buy new or replace the jack?
I don't make it to harbor freight as much as I'd like lol

Sticks n stones will break your bones but being a mechanic will kill ya

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Anybody got a press from HF? I've been thinking about picking one up and setting up new gears in my 84'. I'll need a press for installing and removing the pinion bearing.

I have the 12 ton and it is a great tool to have if you got the space like HR said. I'll be using mine soon to try and straighten out the bent prop shaft on my outboard motor. For pushing bearings and bushings and such I keep an old box of sockets to use as pushers for different diameter pieces. It's a fun tool to own if you can justify the cost. Matter of fact with your skills you can just build one from steel stock and add the bottle jack and return springs. That would be a killer metal project for you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The 12 ton is only $119 right now with the Super Coupon. 12 ton should press off any bearing races, ball joints, U joints and such.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We have another HF in the OKC metro now. I was over there doing a tow this morning and stopped in an got one of the HVLP $9.99 guns.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
We have another HF in the OKC metro now. I was over there doing a tow this morning and stopped in an got one of the HVLP $9.99 guns.

Before you use it check out youtube video's on modifying it. I got one of their new "professional series" HVLP guns thats most likely exactly like the previous ones already modified like the ones people are modifying.

I painted some wheels for our Galaxie with it the other day, it works great.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I'm new to this thread so I'll try not to repeat a bunch.

I bought a 1/2" hammer drill back in '07 with the idea that it would be for one project. Still works, although the switch is dying. I beat the crap out of that thing too - after the one project was over it served more duty as a drill motor to mix tiling mortar and grout with one of those giant egg beater things than it did as a hammer drill. Thinking about trying to fix the switch and keep using it.

I didn't see any mention of the click type torque wrenches they sell. Those things are awesome - I have both 3/8" and 1/2". I borrowed a 70's Proto from a friend a few years ago - exact same design. HF obviously stole it, but they did a pretty good job on the copying.

Impact sockets rock. Doesn't make sense to buy those anywhere else - their price for the set buys you one or two anywhere else. I love my SAE 1/2" deep set that I bought several years ago. The metric set that I bought more recently is not quite as good, but it's basically just the finish I don't like. For non-impact though, I still insist on Craftsman or better. Same with combo wrenches.

Don't buy these nut drivers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-sae-nut-driver-set-69109.html
They suck. You can even see in the picture how the shafts are a little bent. I took them back and got the "professional" set which I still am not a big fan of but price was right.

Thinking about the earthquake 1/2" impact driver. Everyone still like theirs? My CH one sucks - I think my 20V black and decker one has more torque.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The pro series nut drivers aren't much better. They are comfy, but I've also bent then over too. They are worth the $8 and on sale from time to time for $6. They're good for light duty stuff around the house, but not professional daily use at all.

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-professional-sae-nut-driver-set-69239.html

The earthquake impact guns are the ****. They are good. IMO, good as the Matco high dollar impact guns but for alot less money.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have a similar story Dave, I got a regular corded drill about 6 years ago and finally threw it out the other day. I used the **** out of that drill for years and I think I only paid 9.99 for it.

I have the half inch Earthquake and it kicks ass, I want the 3/8's air ratchet now.

Update on my other harbor freight air tools:

The cutoff wheel- Use it all the time, even their brand of disks which I expected to lead to a visit to the E.R. but none exploded yet.

Pneumatic drill- Not much use, I honed the cylinders on my big block with it and used it to drill out studs on an old upper ball joint. It works fine I just use an electric Makita now because my compressor sucks.

Angle die grinder- I have consistently used the **** out of this thing and highly recommend one. All the different things they sell to chuck in this thing work great too. The quick change out pad thing is awesome, you can screw a fiber pad into it and remove old gasket and in seconds put a sanding disk on it so you can sharpen a punch.

Air chisel- I got this for one job but I use it alot now, its saved my ass a few times. Just recently my brother and I were fighting a unibearing out of his Jeeps front axle and this thing saved the day.

D/A sander- As far as I know its still alive and kicking, I loaned it to my dad and replaced it with a more expensive Campbell Hausfeld one. He's been sanding on his 77 consistantly with no issues.

HVLP spray gun- I originally got the purple one and loved it, I sprayed the hood and tailgate on my 454SS with it. I also loaned it to my Dad and he likes it so I replaced it with an ingersol rand gun from tractor supply co. I threw the ingersol rand in the trash after trying to spray primer on my Impala's hood. Now I have harbor freights new spray gun and love it.

21 gallon air compressor- I got it just to assemble a big block and have been trying to kill it ever since so I could get something better. Its been abused since day one, the air intake filter broke off before I ever used it so its never even had one. I run it constantly without letting it cool off to the point you can smell the oil cooking and it just keeps going.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is pretty damn cheap for a 20,000lb snatch block. A new item at HF. So far all good reviews except 1 and it seems to be an idiot that doesn't know how to use a snatch block and he trashed it. Granted at this price, I wouldn't expect much. But a good tool to have in your 4x4, especially you guys with winches.

I'm going to be getting at least 1. I'd prefer to have 4 or so at this price. 2 for each truck.

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...1115a&utm_source=1011&cid=mEmail_s1011_c1115a

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1