Harbor Freight Tool/Product Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Bought a 25ft Diablo air hose because I wanted a short run from a filter/dryer/regulator to a paint gun. Diameter is larger and weight is more than a standard Goodyear hose, making it a bit much to handle on a paint gun. The 50ft or 100ft versions would be very heavy, but would probably hold up to repeated abuse, like driving a forklift over them!
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-x-25-ft-premium-rubber-air-hose-62889.html

Also bought an HVLP touchup gun to paint some small parts. When adjusting the pattern, it leaked out in one or two places, covering my hand with paint! Ended up tightening fittings and actually replacing a poorly machined nut (!) and got the pattern looking good. Have to say it gave me a smooth finish with no orange peel. However, one or two of the parts that you'd expect to be plated were bare steel, so I wouldn't expect it to last very long.
Seems like I paid around $20 for this on sale and with a coupon 18 months ago.
https://www.harborfreight.com/120-cc-hvlp-touch-up-air-spray-gun-61473.htm

Some guys I know use the purple $14 version as one-time use throw-away gun!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I meant to post this a while back HF has some decent tools and some that are throw away. This usually happens within the first day of use with these two tools. I’m not sure at what point during the project it happens... I’ll go to pick it up to realize it’s got a little more flex than usual.
I best on these to clean off frames and drill large ass holes tho. rather kill this motor than than my battery powered ones.

This is the drill
And the grinder.

You must be registered for see images attach

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Long Term Update: My HF 8" 3/4 hp bench grinder started making some gawd-awful noises last week and removing the wheels confirmed the noise was coming from within. WTF? I just bought this thing in '88 and it's giving me trouble already?? To be fair, this grinder is old enough that it has the Central Machinery label but was made in Taiwan, not China. I started looking at new ones, but prices have gone up considerably in the last 35 years.

Wasn't too eager to try fixing it because my past experience with electric motors seemed to always involve brushes and wires that wouldn't go back in place and I'd end up with a big paperweight, but figured I might as well take it apart and either fix it or just do a post-mortem inspection. Popped off the end caps and found the bearings were just hanging out there easy as could be. They were NTN brand, which are supposed to be pretty good, but they were only shielded on one side and had eaten a LOT of grinding dust. I ordered some double-shielded Timken bearings, slapped it back together, and she's running quiet as a church mouse. Total repair cost was $13.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Long Term Update: My HF 8" 3/4 hp bench grinder started making some gawd-awful noises last week and removing the wheels confirmed the noise was coming from within. WTF? I just bought this thing in '88 and it's giving me trouble already?? To be fair, this grinder is old enough that it has the Central Machinery label but was made in Taiwan, not China. I started looking at new ones, but prices have gone up considerably in the last 35 years.

Wasn't too eager to try fixing it because my past experience with electric motors seemed to always involve brushes and wires that wouldn't go back in place and I'd end up with a big paperweight, but figured I might as well take it apart and either fix it or just do a post-mortem inspection. Popped off the end caps and found the bearings were just hanging out there easy as could be. They were NTN brand, which are supposed to be pretty good, but they were only shielded on one side and had eaten a LOT of grinding dust. I ordered some double-shielded Timken bearings, slapped it back together, and she's running quiet as a church mouse. Total repair cost was $13.

Total BS. Only 35 years of occasional use? I'd never walk into another HF ever again. Not even to buy a .99 cent magnet. Terrible Terrible !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod