Gauge cluster F%#k!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I still have it all...I wasn't expecting it to break in to that many pieces. I may try to superglue it or something. It wasn't in good shape what so ever, but it was definitely restorable, even the gauges still seemed to work amazingly enough.

Shame you weren't able to get an electric gauge cluster, it would have been plug and play. You will probably have to do some minor repinning. If you're able to, get me a good res pic of the back side and I can try to help there. :waytogo: I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the cluster's back side if not. And look for a wiring diagram.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
And yeah, it's a 1976 only cluster. In 1977, they went to the 4 warning light system.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn, it's got all the good **** it could have. Volts, Mechanical Oil, 100mph Speedo and Tach. :waytogo:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
Oh, there will definitely be repinning since I am going from 1981 No Gauges Idiot Lights to 1975 gauge cluster. Unusual I know! A forum member on here is going to assist me with it. I seem to be having trouble finding the correct wiring sequence, but I am getting close!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Would it be any easier to install that tach into an 81 Instrument Cluster? Prolly not. You'd still have to change pin outs for the Fuel Gauge too go where the blank is in the lower left corner. Also, the gear indicator plastic is broke off. I'da offered it up sooner but you mentioned tach. I wasn't sure if I had it or not, but I do still have the 81 GMC Ins cluster for Unleaded Fuel with Trio guages, no clock. Not in the best of shape either, but not horribly bad.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Would it be any easier to install that tach into an 81 Instrument Cluster? Prolly not. You'd still have to change pin outs for the Fuel Gauge too go where the blank is in the lower left corner. Also, the gear indicator plastic is broke off. I'da offered it up sooner but you mentioned tach. I wasn't sure if I had it or not, but I do still have the 81 GMC Ins cluster for Unleaded Fuel with Trio guages, no clock. Not in the best of shape either, but not horribly bad.

I appreciate the offer, but I believe that this set up I have is finally it! I have wanted this since I started putting the truck together years ago, and started seriously looking as of last summer when the new 350 was installed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It appears you're well on your way.

I'm not even sure this would do you any good since you're having to move so much stuff anyway, but I think I might even hate the cluster wiring for the gauge cluster. But I still don't see how that makes it any easier to make the transition to the 75 Cluster. You'd still have to move all the pins right?
I've been sort of watching your build here because I have many of the parts from that 81 that would be mathes for your parts. Deal is, everything you've needed, I have the opposite. You have stepside, this was Wideside bed, you needed Heat Controller, I had AC/Heat Controller, you needed cluster, mine didn't have tach and I wasn't sure I still had it. :rofl: And I've been looking for the dome light and wiring harness to it. It's got to be around here somewhere but can't find it. You've got that handled now too. I did let the steering column go with the truck to the scrap yard. The idiot PO had destoryed it cuz he lost the keys.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It appears you're well on your way.

I'm not even sure this would do you any good since you're having to move so much stuff anyway, but I think I might even hate the cluster wiring for the gauge cluster. But I still don't see how that makes it any easier to make the transition to the 75 Cluster. You'd still have to move all the pins right?
I've been sort of watching your build here because I have many of the parts from that 81 that would be mathes for your parts. Deal is, everything you've needed, I have the opposite. You have stepside, this was Wideside bed, you needed Heat Controller, I had AC/Heat Controller, you needed cluster, mine didn't have tach and I wasn't sure I still had it. :rofl: And I've been looking for the dome light and wiring harness to it. It's got to be around here somewhere but can't find it. You've got that handled now too. I did let the steering column go with the truck to the scrap yard. The idiot PO had destoryed it cuz he lost the keys.

I am still in the market for a dome light setup that attaches to my NOS harmess. LMK if you find it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Subscribed. :popcorn:

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
My undying gratitude...

My greatest thanks goes out to Robert8096 for his untiring assistance with repinning my new tach cluster gauge pod last night. The aforementioned chart that I posted on here was mostly correct but it needed some tweaking that Robert was a GENIUS at figuring out. The chart even left out some wires which he easily figured out. Without his assistance I would have been left clueless. Pictures are coming later. I still need a part to get the oil gauge operational, and another for the temp gauge. The 100MPH speedometer is also more accurate than my old 85MPH one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So why doesn't this guy Robert post up and participate? We like info in open forums moreso than PM's. I'm about to have to do something with my cluster too. Fairly certain the printed circuit is bad and wny my temp gauge doesn't work. Probably going to go hard wire instead of printed circuit. I'll cost some for the bulb sockets, but I think it'll still be cheaper than another printed circuit that will also have potential to fail.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
I bought a copper tubing kit from Advance but it does not fit correctly. The ferrule from the original oil gauge will not seperate from the broken old tubing either. Ace hardware is my next stop. If anyone on here can post EXACTLY what parts I need (especially the fitting that attaches to the gauge) and where to get them I would be grateful!

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Been to 3 different parts stores today. No luck with oil pressure gauge fittings.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Warning light question

Now that I have gauges in this truck I have a question. This 1975 cluster only has two warning lights. The speedo has a BRAKE indicator light and the tach has one marked OIL. I guess that the OIL light is supposed to indicate when the oil in the truck is low, but it could also be oil pressure since the old cluster had idiot lights and it may be working off that wire from those lights. Since the new cluster has an oil pressure gauge I need to know what the OIL light is for. Was it originally acting as a low oil warning, or low pressure warning in its original vehicle? Also, when I turn the truck on, the BRAKE light illuminates, but the OIL one does not. I thought both should illuminate to show that they are operational...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast