Gauge cluster F%#k!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Shouldn't need a new connector, just move some of the pins around in the current connector.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Shouldn't need a new connector, just move some of the pins around in the current connector.

yup connector will be the same just the wires will be different. Let me look in my k30 thread I had the wires all labeled at one time on here from when i did my conversion.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Here you go this is a pin out description from my truck.
Ok I went ahead and strained my eyes really hard and with a tester my findings are real close to yours.

1. Lt. Green High Beam Indicator
2. Black Volt -
3. Tan Oil Pressure
4. Pink/BLK Stripe Volt +
5. Brown Charge Indicator Light
6. Empty
7. Empty
8. Dk. Green Temperature sending unit
9. Grey Illumination

10. Lt. Blue Left Turn Indicator
11. Dk. Blue Right Turn Indicator
12. EMPTY
13. Yellow Fasten Seatbelt
14. Pink Fuel sending unit
15. Tan/WHT Stripe Parking Brake Light
16. Brown/WHT Stripe Service Engine Soon
17. Pink/BLK Strip Fuel +, SES +, Parking Brake +,
18. Lt. Blue/BLK Stripe Speedometer

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
WOW! Thanks! I was under the impression that the idiot light connectors would not work with a gauge conversion. Thanks a lot to all who helped! Looks like this will be done sooner than I thought. I wanted it done sooner since I just this week got the truck back from the mechanic with a new 350 and a 700R4 tranny, and this will be the icing in the cake.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
WOW! Thanks! I was under the impression that the idiot light connectors would not work with a gauge conversion. Thanks a lot to all who helped! Looks like this will be done sooner than I thought. I wanted it done sooner since I just this week got the truck back from the mechanic with a new 350 and a 700R4 tranny, and this will be the icing in the cake.

pin locations might be different but colors will be the same so you defintly have a starting point.

a little tip for you. when you are tracing the printed circuit boards. Use different color sharpies to trace each of the circuits, then draw a picture of the place where the connector goes and label the pin locations, use a pick to remove the pins from the vehichle connectors and swap them as needed, you will have it done with in 30-45 minutes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

At time like this, is when you'd want to use the reputation system if you haven't already. Hint Hint !!! :handshake:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Gauges ready to go!

Here you go this is a pin out description from my truck.
Ok I went ahead and strained my eyes really hard and with a tester my findings are real close to yours.

1. Lt. Green High Beam Indicator
2. Black Volt -
3. Tan Oil Pressure
4. Pink/BLK Stripe Volt +
5. Brown Charge Indicator Light
6. Empty
7. Empty
8. Dk. Green Temperature sending unit
9. Grey Illumination

10. Lt. Blue Left Turn Indicator
11. Dk. Blue Right Turn Indicator
12. EMPTY
13. Yellow Fasten Seatbelt
14. Pink Fuel sending unit
15. Tan/WHT Stripe Parking Brake Light
16. Brown/WHT Stripe Service Engine Soon
17. Pink/BLK Strip Fuel +, SES +, Parking Brake +,
18. Lt. Blue/BLK Stripe Speedometer

I finally got a full tach cluster thanks to forum member gmachinz. It is 1975 one. I looked at a 1975 gauge chart that tells what goes where in the plug and this is what I came up with:

-1 LT GREEN (HI BEAM)
-5 PINK (IGNITION)
-6 ***BLANK SPOT IN CLUSTER***
-7 TAN (FUEL)
-8 DARK GREEN (TEMP)
-9 BLACK (GROUND)
-10 LIGHT BLUE (LEFT)
-11 DARK BLUE (RIGHT)
-12 PINK (IGNITION)
-13 TAN (BRAKE)
-18 ***BLANK SPOT IN CLUSTER***

When I compare it to the other chart here there is little if any resemblence. Why are there so many numbers with no wire referenced that is supposed to attach to them? When I checked this chart with my new cluster printed circuit it appeared that everything listed here is correct. My cluster has NOTHING that correspond to number 6 and 18 so that is no mystery. So what wires go in these empty spots? I need to figure this out because I intend to have this done within the week and need the proper wiring scheme. I also have not removed the existing cluster yet, so I have no idea what wires are behind it. Any electrical guru words of wisdom?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
WWWWOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH my man. Before you get too deep in that, I think 1975s have an ammeter instead of a voltmeter!

You're gonna do some damage to your electrical system if you think you can switch a couple of wires around and install it.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WWWWOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH my man. Before you get too deep in that, I think 1975s have an ammeter instead of a voltmeter!

You're gonna do some damage to your electrical system if you think you can switch a couple of wires around and install it.

Is it possible to remove the Ammeter and istall a Volt gauge in it's place??? :shrug:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Dammit...Wished I'd been more careful instead of letting that cluster housing I had fall off and break into 30 pieces...I would have given it to him...:banghead:

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size

No. This one has a voltmeter. I am familiar with the AMP thing! The printed circuit on the back has a "75" on it and the seller advised me it is a 75-76. I have never seen one with only one warning light hole in each large gauge, in this case speedometer and tachometer. See, here it is...

You must be registered for see images attach

(photo courtesy of gmachinz)

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Whew...:D Just keeping you from making any mistakes. Does it have an electric oil pressure gauge or no? An electric one would make it a 1978-79 cluster.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
Whew...:D Just keeping you from making any mistakes. Does it have an electric oil pressure gauge or no? An electric one would make it a 1978-79 cluster.

I definitely appreciate the help! The oil pressure is mechanical and I am buying a sending unit and tube this week. What happened to your 30 pieces gauge cluster? What pieces are left?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast